E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Sportautomatic (SAT) retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 03:00 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 530e Alpine White
Model Year: 2017

Coding egs will not give you true/full sport functionality which is s1-s5 in cluster in ds mode and rev matching and also 300ms shifts. You will only get it if you flash/reprogram the module with winkfp with sat firmware. Howver if i am not mistaken euro 525 and us 528 did not have sat option available and hence no firmware. I have 525 and i could not flash the transmission.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:10 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 528i

Exactly the answers I have been looking for. This will be a physical upgrade to the general appearance of the vehicle. This by no means will improve performance and/or driving characteristics for my vehicle.

damn...

Well, the SAT gear shift looks too good to not have. I appreciate the help and response time.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:33 PM
Members

Doing just the shifter and coding the car without the EGS firmware flash will indeed be primarily cosmetic. However, the sport button will partially function by firming up steering and show that fancy SPORT in the cluster (again cosmetic). People claim that there is also slight improvements in shift time and increase of shift point with just sport selected, and I also feel that a bit, but, that may be completely in my mind.

And indeed just the SAT shifter looks short and awesome compared to that long ugly normal shifter.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:55 AM
New Members

My Ride: E60 530i LCI N53

Originally Posted by likhan_s
Doing just the shifter and coding the car without the EGS firmware flash wi
ll indeed be primarily cosmetic. However, the sport button will partially function by firming up steering and show that fancy SPORT in the cluster (again cosmetic). People claim that there is also slight improvements in shift time and increase of shift point with just sport selected, and I also feel that a bit, but, that may be completely in my mind.

And indeed just the SAT shifter looks short and awesome compared to that long ugly normal shifter.
Yes I concur with this, I driven my car for a few months with all the SAT hardware installed without EGS reflash, once reflashed to 2TB firmware is was like night and day. The biggest noticeable difference was how much quicker the changes were in full Sport/Manual mode via the paddles, the gearshift is near instant when upshifting, and on downshifting you get very nice throttle blip to match the revs something which never happened before.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:14 PM
New Members

My Ride: 530ix
Model Year: 2020

random question for all--how is the fuel economy compared to regular mode and having the shifter over to the left in DS?

I know DS normally takes more gas than regular. Will regular now after the 2TB flash now eat more gas. not a major deal just wondering...
Old 09-13-2014, 06:53 PM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 535XI
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Bought the kit for $225 from ebay, great condition anyone.....

willing to flash to sat???
Old 02-18-2015, 09:50 AM
New Members

Hello everyone, I've been following this thread and have a few questions. Can anyone tell me where do I get the resistors from for the m5 steering wheel retrofit wiring and also how do I run the two wiring to the e-box?? Pls Pls I need help thanks
Old 02-24-2015, 11:03 PM
Members

@murdock: You can order the resistors from ebay, or just drive to your closest radioshack. You do not need to run two wires to the ebox, one you can just ground anywhere close. I followed the pdf and grounded on the front passenger seat, the wiring to the ebox is a completely different beast. I tried to do it myself, however, there was practically no space in the glory hole, so I went to my dealer, and convinced the senior workshop manager to do it, as I did not want to risk running the wire using lets say a welding rod and tearing some of the wires in the bundle.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:41 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by likhan_s
@murdock: You can order the resistors from ebay, or just drive to your closest radioshack. You do not need to run two wires to the ebox, one you can just ground anywhere close. I followed the pdf and grounded on the front passenger seat, the wiring to the ebox is a completely different beast. I tried to do it myself, however, there was practically no space in the glory hole, so I went to my dealer, and convinced the senior workshop manager to do it, as I did not want to risk running the wire using lets say a welding rod and tearing some of the wires in the bundle.
Ok got you thanks I'll grab the resistors sometime this wk.
OK so now I'm getting conflicting information here likhan. So far everything I've read throughout this entire thread States that I need to run two wires from SZL to e-box in order to have the paddles work but what you're saying is I don't need to do this to have fun tonight paddles? All I need to do is ground to passenger seat?
Old 02-26-2015, 10:17 PM
Members

Sorry if I confused you, you have to run wire to the ebox, but, only one is sufficient. Pin 12 in SZL (x1880) and run to ground (this do not need to go to ebox). pin 13 on SZL connector (x1880) and run to connector x6031 in ebox to pin 11

Quick Reply: Sportautomatic (SAT) retrofit