E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Smog question

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 11:20 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 535i Msport
Default Smog question

So after a few mods I'm now up for a smog cert in January. In 2013 california did not make the sniffer test mandatory for cars of 2000 and later but it seems that most of them are still doing it. Looking for a pm on a shop in the Bay Area, preferably north bay but I'm willing to travel, who are only doing obd 2 and visual. Also, please post your smog experience with downpipes. Did u need to put the stickers back on? Hopefully somebody has passed with them. You can guess which ones I have by me posting this thread. Thanks for any feedback guys
Old 11-11-2014, 11:21 AM
Members
Senior Members

I meant stockers not stickers. F@ckin autocorrect
Old 11-11-2014, 12:36 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2005

I must not be up to date on the smog laws. what's the point of a smog check if you don't do a sniffer test, how are you accurately getting the readings? seems pointless to have smog check laws in place just for visuals.

Do you still have cats on your car?
Old 11-11-2014, 04:58 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

The new smog process is a visual and odb based test. The DAD, data acquisition device, is hooked up to the odb port and it uses the vehicles computer to verify all emissions are within parameters and sensors are in ready status. Justin, wedge performance and vrsf make a dpfix device.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:26 PM
Members
Senior Members

Ah ha there you are man, I should have just messaged you directly. I knew you'd bail me out lol. So of course I have more questions. Are they both plug ins? Which one do you have? And the jb4 autoclear won't be good enough? I read something that said the codes are still sent to obd, jb4 just clears them before they hit your cluster. Did u have to smog already since you got your dr euros? Thanks for all the good info my friend

Originally Posted by Booyaazaa
The new smog process is a visual and odb based test. The DAD, data acquisition device, is hooked up to the odb port and it uses the vehicles computer to verify all emissions are within parameters and sensors are in ready status. Justin, wedge performance and vrsf make a dpfix device.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:22 PM
Members
Senior Members

So ended up ordering wedges downpipe fix. Total rookie here. Anyone know where this bad boy plugs in?
Old 11-18-2014, 09:22 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

Originally Posted by Justin66mp
Ah ha there you are man, I should have just messaged you directly. I knew you'd bail me out lol. So of course I have more questions. Are they both plug ins? Which one do you have? And the jb4 autoclear won't be good enough? I read something that said the codes are still sent to obd, jb4 just clears them before they hit your cluster. Did u have to smog already since you got your dr euros? Thanks for all the good info my friend
Originally Posted by Justin66mp
So ended up ordering wedges downpipe fix. Total rookie here. Anyone know where this bad boy plugs in?
Hey what's up Justin. I have my smog coming up in mar/apr so I haven't gone through it yet. I got Ken's dpfix however I haven't installed it yet. Iirc there should be instructions with it. It should be similar to hooking up a JB4 with pin outs and pin-ins in the dme box. If not you can do a search in BimmerBoost in the N54 threads for how to set it up. No the auto clear will not work. Once you clear your emissions codes you need to drive the car for about 100 miles for the sensors to become ready status.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:49 PM
Members
Senior Members

Thanks for good info as always sir. Turns out it's not actually due until next year. Relieved, was starting to freak out for a sec. Lemme know how yours goes. And there were no instructions on that bad boy. So I'll do some research and if u happen to figure it out gimme a shout. Thank u amigo