E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Seats replacing

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 10:37 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 520i
Default Seats replacing

Hello guys
I am new in here and I know I have not present myself yet but there really is nothing to be proud of now. I am trying to make my car worth presentation and one step is interior replacement. After what I have read about this mod, I buried my DYI spirit because of complication of whole issue.

I have got basic, semiautomatic, heated, pre-LCI, ugly, grey, clothed seats.

So I want to ask:

If I bought semiautomatic, heated, pre-LCI, nice, leather sport seats, will it be only plug and play or will it include wiring and coding.

Thank you
Old 06-28-2016, 11:29 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

why not just recover the seats you already have? did you already obtain a set of replacement seats?
Old 06-28-2016, 12:05 PM
New Members

No I did not but its pain to keep them clean so I want change interior to black. And I had sport seats in my previous 330D and I fell in love with driving without pushing steering wheel to prevent my a.. sliding from side to side.
Old 06-28-2016, 12:21 PM
Members
Senior Members

Ah OK, i understand now.

I don't know if the sport seats have powered side bolters or thigh supports, but if they do then the control units are likely different (yes your seats have control units) and that would require some coding.

If there aren't any additional motors/functions going from what you have over to a set of sport seats then I'd think about swapping your old control unit on to the new seats and see what happens. I am totally brainstorming right now, I have no experience doing this. I'm sure it has been done though, someone else on this forum may chime in.

good luck.
Old 06-28-2016, 12:30 PM
New Members

Thanks for your reply. I am talking about sport seats with exactly the same control buttons on their side as mine have. That is why I am asking if in this case there is any chance that control units are the same.
Old 06-28-2016, 01:25 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by michal25
Thanks for your reply. I am talking about sport seats with exactly the same control buttons on their side as mine have. That is why I am asking if in this case there is any chance that control units are the same.
Theres certainly one way to find out
Old 06-28-2016, 04:34 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 2006 sedan auto

Its a good question you raised Kyle.

The sport seat adjuster has an extra adjustment on the front of the control unit.

But the good news is that each unit will work in each seat.

The problems start though if you wish to fit and use a sports control unit in a standard car.
The standard wiring loom deos not have the extra plug and wiring to make the front control switch work and so you would need to do some electrical work to connect it all.

But if someone had a normal control unit that was broken it can be replaced with a sports control unit and everything will be fine except that front control will not work or be conected

Originally Posted by KyleB
Ah OK, i understand now.

I don't know if the sport seats have powered side bolters or thigh supports, but if they do then the control units are likely different (yes your seats have control units) and that would require some coding.

If there aren't any additional motors/functions going from what you have over to a set of sport seats then I'd think about swapping your old control unit on to the new seats and see what happens. I am totally brainstorming right now, I have no experience doing this. I'm sure it has been done though, someone else on this forum may chime in.

good luck.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:18 PM
New Members

my seats have controls like these sport seats. As you can see there is not more functions on these sport seats.
Attached Thumbnails Seats replacing-bmw__e60_523i_touring_sport_package_navi_prof__leather_2005_7_lgw.jpg  
Old 06-29-2016, 03:04 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 2006 sedan auto

But very nice seats!!

Originally Posted by michal25
my seats have controls like these sport seats. As you can see there is not more functions on these sport seats.
Old 07-17-2016, 12:37 PM
New Members

My Ride: ,retro sport button,comfort seats,m5 front and rear swaybars,pullbars,550 brakes kit with slotted and drilled rotors,upper strut brace,lower 2pt brace,3im,power box,m5 eom wheels,m5 rep bumper and skirts.
Model Year: 2007

Yes they should be plug and play,if your going heated to heated it will work. I just did the same thing to my car. I bought comfort seats black and swapped out my heated full power basic seats,plug and play,it all works no coding. When people tyr to put heated in non heated,they have to run all the wiring. Nothing like 18 way seats,hope this helps. By the way the comfort seats are the newer out of a 550 sport,they went into my 07 non sport. Mine does have an extra yellow connector that I believe goes to the active seat option.

Quick Reply: Seats replacing