E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Replacement key

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 04:39 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a FYI ladies and gents:

Bought a key from BMW of Santa Clara (California) for about $200.00
The valet driver pulled the car up and programmed the key within a minute or so.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:21 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by cmartin93
If you have comfort access and want it to work there will be coding required. Got a new key and everything worked except comfort access until they sync'd it up. The lock, unlock and trunk buttons work out of the box based on the vin provided.

The "putting the key" trick mentioned above is for seat, steering wheel and mirror memory.

And remember comfort access fobs do not charge, battery must be replaced.
This is incorrect. A new key, besides the blade part that is cut out depending on your VIN, the chip itself is programmed by the car.

The key, without being programmed by the car, will not work -- read, the lock, unlock, and trunk buttons does nothing. To settle this, you should just call up your dealership's service department. I was told of this when I bought my replacement, and did try it out before programming it via my car as well. It did not work.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:24 AM
Members

I called a local locksmith & they said they don't cut keys to VIN.

I called Rallye BMW of Long Island, NY & they said no they wouldn't cut a blank key, and the parts dept asked if I brought on-line & said BMW will not cut blank keys.

Boy, there are very protective of getting their money for making duplicate keys aren't they?
Old 12-29-2010, 07:15 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i

i recently bought a replacement key. It cost me $180 exactly. Weird thing is when i use the new key my radio stations under "all stations" don't come up on the idrive.... but when i use my old one it does comes up. The new key works though so i dunno whats the problem?The dealer said i could bring it back to be reprogrammed for free but i have no time. Maybe i'll try the programming sequence thing later.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:15 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by eojj
i recently bought a replacement key. It cost me $180 exactly. Weird thing is when i use the new key my radio stations under "all stations" don't come up on the idrive.... but when i use my old one it does comes up. The new key works though so i dunno whats the problem?The dealer said i could bring it back to be reprogrammed for free but i have no time. Maybe i'll try the programming sequence thing later.
My guess is you have to reset the stations when the new key is in.

I have my key and my wife uses the spare. Both keys have their own radio settings as well as seat adjustments saved. I don't like it when my wife uses my key. She changes the radio and seats to her preference so next time I use my key, all her settings are on it. I always tell her to use her own.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:56 AM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
The member above just confirmed what I said.
The memory chip on these keys are write once, which is why they are non-refundable after it's coded -- and also why you can't just buy used fobs online and "reprogram" them.
This is incorrect. I have plenty of keys from cars and I program them to other cars as needed. Of course they're not cut for the vehicle but it doesn't stop me from programming the remote and using it as a spare until I get rid of a vehicle.

Originally Posted by aretardedorange
So if you have a blank BMW keyfob and you happen to find a unlocked BMW and you put your blank key fob in the unlocked BMW the key will work on that car? Thats pretty scary....
No this will not work. You need a key that is CURRENTLY programmed to the car in order to program the other. They will need to both be programmed together at the same time back to back.....that goes for as many keys as you can. (limit 10) That means if you are programming 3 keys and you mess up on the 3rd key but 1 and 2 work .....you have to start over and program them all at the same time. It's not different than a garage door opener. I think you guys are over thinking yourselves. There's nothing special about these keys, lol

OP - YOu said you don't have comfort access right? So you have the 315MHz three button triangular looking two step key? is your key dead or lost or what? If you still have the key and it's not working, I can take the chip, replace the battery and have the key cut for you. Or if you just need a spare, give me the info on the back of your key and I can get you a replacement and you program it in your car (I use computer on the E60 but my E39 and E46 I've done inside the car) and go get it cut...I believe Ace Hardware can cut it for u. I have about 30 keys that are uncut. Not all of them have Chipsets in them though. PM me if you need anything.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:17 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

All this debate for a f*cking key? Just go buy the thing already.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:56 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by CWS530
All this debate for a f*cking key? Just go buy the thing already.
Its just an informative debate. Just like most threads here. If there wasn't informative debates people would live in stupidity and total world anarchy would have risen long ago...at least we postpone it by being informative. But then again, some people like to be stupid. The problem arises when the stupid person starts thinking their misinformation is right and then goes and spreads it among the rest of the nest. It's 2011 and we're not any closer than we were 1000 years ago, so I'd say informative debates are doing their job at keeping the balance.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:57 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
This is incorrect. I have plenty of keys from cars and I program them to other cars as needed. Of course they're not cut for the vehicle but it doesn't stop me from programming the remote and using it as a spare until I get rid of a vehicle.
Dude, that is absolutely 100% incorrect. The chip in our E60 key fobs are write once ONLY. Not only do I have first hand experience buying used keys, and finding out it can't be programmed. I hate to call you out on it, but your statement is clearly fabricated.

Call your dealership and talk to a tech.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:22 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Dude, that is absolutely 100% incorrect. The chip in our E60 key fobs are write once ONLY. Not only do I have first hand experience buying used keys, and finding out it can't be programmed. I hate to call you out on it, but your statement is clearly fabricated.

Call your dealership and talk to a tech.
Ok, to each his own. Believe what you want. There is nothing special about a BMW tech. So you believe everything they say? They only know what their told. Just like you. Just like how your news is prepared for you each day and is fed to you. If I were more enthused to argue about this, I'd post a youtube video to show you but it's not really worth it. You're right I'm wrong. As long as you keep being right, wrong people like me will have the advantage and secretly soar over you.

Quick Reply: Replacement key