E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Replacement key

Old 12-16-2010, 09:06 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, I'm hearing two different prices for replacement keys:

Greenwich BMW is quoting $229 for the regular key & $78 for the valet key

Ralley BMW is quoting $230 for the regular key & $90 for the valet key

Do these prices sound current and correct?

Can I order them and have them shipped and then following the programming sequence mentioned above?

Or does anybody know where I can order them from a U.S. dealer for less?
Old 12-16-2010, 09:16 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i SA M-Sport Package

Originally Posted by juniorbmw
Okay, I'm hearing two different prices for replacement keys:

Greenwich BMW is quoting $229 for the regular key & $78 for the valet key

Ralley BMW is quoting $230 for the regular key & $90 for the valet key

Do these prices sound current and correct?

Can I order them and have them shipped and then following the programming sequence mentioned above?

Or does anybody know where I can order them from a U.S. dealer for less?
Think of the dealers as you would any other store that sells the same products. Prices will vary from place to place. Sometimes so much that it doesn't even make sense. And the dealers usually make you come in and order keys and come back and pick them up, I tried to get one shipped to me and they wouldn't do it.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:21 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

FWIW, it cost $215 to get a duplicate key for my wife's MB. The key had to be coded to the car at a differnet location since the dealer where I bout the key didn't have the computer to do it. The key gets shipped back to the dealer so they can confirm it operates the car like its supposed to.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:53 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
False. Whoever told you this is a wrong or a moron.

The new key fobs are coded by your own car.

What you do is you unlock your car using your existing key, grab a seat, put your existing key in the car and hold for a few seconds. Pop out the key, put the uncoded key into your car, and hold it in there for a few seconds, and the car will program it itself.

source: I have personally seen BMW dealership service people do this to code.
So if you have a blank BMW keyfob and you happen to find a unlocked BMW and you put your blank key fob in the unlocked BMW the key will work on that car? Thats pretty scary....
Old 12-16-2010, 02:43 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

Originally Posted by aretardedorange
So if you have a blank BMW keyfob and you happen to find a unlocked BMW and you put your blank key fob in the unlocked BMW the key will work on that car? Thats pretty scary....
The key itself is cut to your VIN#... unless you are talking about the comfort access cars in which case you have a good point and it is a bit scary!
Old 12-17-2010, 10:35 PM
Members

If you have comfort access and want it to work there will be coding required. Got a new key and everything worked except comfort access until they sync'd it up. The lock, unlock and trunk buttons work out of the box based on the vin provided.

The "putting the key" trick mentioned above is for seat, steering wheel and mirror memory.

And remember comfort access fobs do not charge, battery must be replaced.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:53 AM
Members

Has anybody use this place called Original Keyless?

I'm a little concerned if the key will be shipped uncut as displayed above or what.

There website looks legit, and I don't know if there is anything such as after-market keys, and how they will work in comparison to OEM keys.

Anybody's thoughts on this place would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:17 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Originally Posted by juniorbmw
Has anybody use this place called Original Keyless?

I'm a little concerned if the key will be shipped uncut as displayed above or what.

There website looks legit, and I don't know if there is anything such as after-market keys, and how they will work in comparison to OEM keys.

Anybody's thoughts on this place would be greatly appreciated.

So who are you going to find that to cut the key?
Old 12-25-2010, 08:20 AM
Members

Originally Posted by healthservices
So who are you going to find that to cut the key?
I'm just hoping that's a stock photo, but I'll call them Mon to find out what's what.
Old 12-25-2010, 11:38 PM
Members

That settles that, allkeys.com said the key is blank and needs to be cut by the dealer according to VIN.

Don't know if it's worth buying from them for $80 and then taking to dealer for cutting; I'll call a local BMW dealer up and ask them how much to cut a BMW key.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacement key