E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Rear/Side shades vs. tinting

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2003, 01:12 PM

I am unsure which way to go having no experience with either.

A.
Does the auto rear shade impair driving visibility ?
Sure the rear can be kept cooler in summer and dropped down in winters,
but there's no protection for the front windows (which are used more).

B.
Tinting allows the possiblilty of going within legal limits for rear/rear-sides and
minimal tint for front-sides. Stuck with the tint in winter.

Any suggestions from those with expereince with either or both ?
Old 11-07-2003, 01:55 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had the electric rear window screen on my two cars. I found that the rear window screen was a valuable addition and one of the best accessories to have on a car in terms of usage. In addition, even at night, it significantly reduces the glare coming from the headlights from the trailing cars with very little loss in visibility.

The rear window screen is better than tinting since as the previous post indicates, you have the option between clear and shaded. You do not have this option with the tinting.
Old 11-10-2003, 09:27 AM

hi, my E60 has rear shade and tinted rear and side windows, and so far no problems with visibility at all, it's very useful . I'd order at least the shade, no doubt about that, and even the side ones if you have rear passengers often, in case oyu don't like the tinted windows.
Old 11-10-2003, 10:27 AM

So you suggest getting the package (since i will carry family in rear).
Additionally just tint the windows (front and back as needed) and do NOT tinit
te rear since i can use the shade to cut sun/heat and stay without the rear tint that can minimize visibitly evn more...
not sure if that is what you suggest ?
how would it look with only sides tinting and not the rear (of course front as well)
Old 11-10-2003, 02:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order: 2006 525i Alpine White Auburn Interior Premium Pkg Sport Pkg Cold Weather Pkg Xenons Sunshades Sat Radio Navigation

I think they are saying tint the rear and all of side windows. The tint doesn't have to be that dark, maybe 50% and then the shade can be raised or lowered. I too will have a 5 or 6 month old by the time I get my car, and I am thinking about this as well. I live in texas and the sun gets strong, so I will most likely lightly tint and at least get the electric rear window shade, and maybe the side shades if needed.
Old 11-10-2003, 04:55 PM

"so I will most likely lightly tint and at least get the electric rear window shade, and maybe the side shades if needed"

is it possoble to get just electric rear and not the manula side shades ?
thought the pkg included both.
Old 11-10-2003, 07:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order: 2006 525i Alpine White Auburn Interior Premium Pkg Sport Pkg Cold Weather Pkg Xenons Sunshades Sat Radio Navigation

You are right, the manual does come with the package, so I will have the manual as well. But, if I don't like those, I will just remove the manuals, but keep the rear one.
Old 11-11-2003, 06:08 AM
sego

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Nov 10 2003, 07:55 PM
"so I will most likely lightly tint and at least get the electric rear window shade, and maybe the side shades if needed"

is it possoble to get just electric rear and not the manula side shades ?
thought the pkg included both.
in Spain, and the rest of Europe I think, it is possible, they are two different options, only rear or rear + side.
Old 11-11-2003, 06:20 AM
sego

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Nov 10 2003, 01:27 PM
So you suggest getting the package (since i will carry family in rear).
Additionally just tint the windows (front and back as needed) and do NOT tinit
te rear since i can use the shade to cut sun/heat and stay without the rear tint that can minimize visibitly evn more...
not sure if that is what you suggest ?
how would it look with only sides tinting and not the rear (of course front as well)
I suggest getting at least the shades, of course the rear and the side ones if you carry passengers often (specially children), and besides the tint if you like it. I've ordered that option on my E60 525i (tinted rear window and rear side ones) and it looks ok, although the tint was darker on my E39. But I understand from what you say that it is possible to tint any window you like (besides the rear of course) as an aftermarket accessory, in that case it's up to you. But I have never seen a car with only sides tinting and not the rear, that's for sure.

I hope I have expressed myself clearly now

bye