E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Question on update the car software

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 01:56 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 525i
Model Year: 206
Default Question on update the car software

I know I'm kinda late to this game but I will be installing CIC onto my 06 525i this weekend. After various read on 5series, bmwcoding and bimmerfest, I am still not sure if I need to update the car software to the latest version to have CIC retrofit completed.

I read somewhere that it is compulsory to have the car recognize the CIC since it was never an option till 2010 but then some says otherwise.

I took my car to the dealer yesterday to replace the windshield together with the rain sensor and asked for software update. However the dealer recommended not to since it might brick the car ECU.

Since DIY will be an issue as I am not that familiar with BMW coding, I'd appreciate your advice on this point, especially those who have done this retrofit before.

Currently my car has MASK navigation and never been updated before. I also plan to switch to LCI Headlight/taillight/LM2, retrofit PDC, comfort seats concurrently.

Thanks all