E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

My opinion of the Koni FSD + eibach combo

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 05:18 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i
Default My opinion of the Koni FSD + eibach combo

Before install:

06 530i, stock, non-sport, 18mm M5 rear sway bar. (M6 front sway bar not-installed)

After install:

06 530i, Koni FSD, eibach pro-kit, 18mm M5 rear sway bar, 29mm M6 front sway bar

Story:

Originally, I had the M5 RSB and the M6 FSB with my stock non-sport suspension. The M5 RSB was fine, but I found that the M6 FSB made the ride too rough, each pothole or broken road impact was abrupt and hard to the point where I brace myself whenever I see any unevenness on the road. So I took it off, and reinstalled the stock front 24.5mm back on.

That was fine, but the still car had too much body roll for my liking, so I started to look for better springs. This is where I found the FSD + eibach combo, so I decided to try them out.

On the first day it was installed, the ride was rough. It was stiff and rode as harsh as having the M6 FSB on, if not harsher. But the next couple days, the ride softened out and the FSD started to work it's magic. Like many others who used them said, it soaked up 80 percent of the impact. Compared to stock non-sport suspension, it was just as compliant if not better. The ride was firm with a lot more feedback, but any potholes or expansion joints just get soaked up. It was soft enough for me to put the M6 FSB back on!

But what really stood out to me was the change in steering. With the stock suspension, it was precise but slow to response to inputs and felt a bit too light, but with the new setup the steering feel became noticeably heavier and much more responsive.

For a daily driver, I can't recommend this setup enough. It maintained the comfort I was looking for in upscale car and have the handling and responsiveness I expected out of a BMW.

If anyone is looking to replace their worn shocks, consider checking out FSD!

tl;dr FSD eibach combo made the car truly feel like a BMW.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:03 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW 550I BLK
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N62
Default 07 550i

Hey I have been reading about this set up but I can't find it for my 07 550i. But you say the ride is much better? I'm gonna keep looking. How much did you pay for the setup?

Originally Posted by gjeoc
Before install:

06 530i, stock, non-sport, 18mm M5 rear sway bar. (M6 front sway bar not-installed)

After install:

06 530i, Koni FSD, eibach pro-kit, 18mm M5 rear sway bar, 29mm M6 front sway bar

Story:

Originally, I had the M5 RSB and the M6 FSB with my stock non-sport suspension. The M5 RSB was fine, but I found that the M6 FSB made the ride too rough, each pothole or broken road impact was abrupt and hard to the point where I brace myself whenever I see any unevenness on the road. So I took it off, and reinstalled the stock front 24.5mm back on.

That was fine, but the still car had too much body roll for my liking, so I started to look for better springs. This is where I found the FSD + eibach combo, so I decided to try them out.

On the first day it was installed, the ride was rough. It was stiff and rode as harsh as having the M6 FSB on, if not harsher. But the next couple days, the ride softened out and the FSD started to work it's magic. Like many others who used them said, it soaked up 80 percent of the impact. Compared to stock non-sport suspension, it was just as compliant if not better. The ride was firm with a lot more feedback, but any potholes or expansion joints just get soaked up. It was soft enough for me to put the M6 FSB back on!

But what really stood out to me was the change in steering. With the stock suspension, it was precise but slow to response to inputs and felt a bit too light, but with the new setup the steering feel became noticeably heavier and much more responsive.

For a daily driver, I can't recommend this setup enough. It maintained the comfort I was looking for in upscale car and have the handling and responsiveness I expected out of a BMW.

Old 10-10-2015, 10:06 AM
Members
Senior Members

Why did you add the sway bars. And why those kind and why 2 different types?

Originally Posted by gjeoc
Before install:

After install:

Story:

Old 10-10-2015, 01:02 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by star69me
front M6 bar is a little bit thicker than the M5 bar. rears are the same if i recall correctly.
Old 10-11-2015, 05:30 PM
New Members

Hey I have been reading about this set up but I can't find it for my 07 550i. But you say the ride is much better? I'm gonna keep looking. How much did you pay for the setup?
I paid about 750 for my set. The going price for eibach + koni is 784, I found someone local selling the springs itself much cheaper than normal, so I bought that and the FSD shocks by itself for approx 583.

KyleB is correct, the thickest RSB that BMW made for the E6x is the 18mm which is for both the M6 and M5.

I purchased the M6 Convertible sway because it is the thickest. The sizes for the front sway bar is about 27.6mm for M5, 28.6mm for M6 and 29.6mm for M6 convertible.

Last edited by gjeoc; 10-11-2015 at 05:35 PM.
Old 10-16-2015, 03:13 AM
Members
Senior Members

I'm going to go with this set up for my 07 550i. What yrs of M6 and M5 should I get the sway bars from? If I can find the FSD'S for my car. The places that advertise them have said they don't have them for a 550 bc they come with a sport suspension already but my 550 isn't the sport model..

QUOTE=gjeoc;1569717]I paid about 750 for my set. The going price for eibach + koni is 784, I found someone local selling the springs itself much cheaper than normal, so I bought that and the FSD shocks by itself for approx 583.

KyleB is correct, the thickest RSB that BMW made for the E6x is the 18mm which is for both the M6 and M5.

I purchased the M6 Convertible sway because it is the thickest. The sizes for the front sway bar is about 27.6mm for M5, 28.6mm for M6 and 29.6mm for M6 convertible.[/QUOTE]
Old 10-18-2015, 04:08 PM
New Members

I'm going to go with this set up for my 07 550i. What yrs of M6 and M5 should I get the sway bars from? If I can find the FSD'S for my car. The places that advertise them have said they don't have them for a 550 bc they come with a sport suspension already but my 550 isn't the sport model..

QUOTE=gjeoc;1569717]I paid about 750 for my set. The going price for eibach + koni is 784, I found someone local selling the springs itself much cheaper than normal, so I bought that and the FSD shocks by itself for approx 583.

I purchased the M6 Convertible sway because it is the thickest. The sizes for the front sway bar is about 27.6mm for M5, 28.6mm for M6 and 29.6mm for M6 convertible.
[/QUOTE]

The sway bar never changed from 04-10, so any year would work.

Koni FSD for E60 works from 520i to 550i, so find any store that carries the FSD for E60 and it will work.

The only difference is that you can't buy the eibach springs with the FSD as a kit, you have to buy it seperately.

So what you need is:

M6 conv, M5 sway bar.
Koni FSD 2100-4007
Eibach Pro-kit 2078.140 (6 cyl models uses 2077.140)
Old 10-18-2015, 04:55 PM
Members
Senior Members

Koni FSD for E60 works from 520i to 550i, so find any store that carries the FSD for E60 and it will work.

The only difference is that you can't buy the eibach springs with the FSD as a kit, you have to buy it seperately.

So what you need is:

M6 conv, M5 sway bar.
Koni FSD 2100-4007
Eibach Pro-kit 2078.140 (6 cyl models uses 2077.140)[/QUOTE]

OK thank you all.... I'm on it
Old 10-19-2015, 10:44 AM
Members
Senior Members

So what you need is:

M6 conv, M5 sway bar.
Koni FSD 2100-4007
Eibach Pro-kit 2078.140 (6 cyl models uses 2077.140)[/QUOTE]

Did u change the sway bar links also???
Old 10-25-2015, 11:45 PM
New Members

So what you need is:

M6 conv, M5 sway bar.
Koni FSD 2100-4007
Eibach Pro-kit 2078.140 (6 cyl models uses 2077.140)
Did u change the sway bar links also???[/QUOTE]

Nope, sway bar links do not need to be changed.

I have put 3 weeks onto the new setup now, and I might be taking the M6 sway bar off. The roll reduction isn't as drastic as the decrease in comfort. I guess the FSD and eibach has eliminated most of the body roll.

Personally, I would get the FSD and eibach first, then determine if you want it sportier, then go for the rear sway bar and drive it around again before considering front sway bar.

Quick Reply: My opinion of the Koni FSD + eibach combo