E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

My custom exhaust journey

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 07:53 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535xi
Default My custom exhaust journey

Last year I installed an electric cutout. I wanted an exhaust that was loud when I wanted and quiet when I needed it to be, and the cutout was a practical solution at the time. I had it placed in front of my mufflers, behind my resonator, as this was the only place it would fit. I then ended up cutting out my resonator to increase the volume when open, as when it was closed it was near silent.

It worked for the first 24 hours, until my cutout motor fried itself. The motor was replaced after 2 months due to the motor being backordered, likely due to their shitty design. The cutout itself, due to a very poor (likely Chinese) design, rattled like a tin can at low rpms. This was unacceptable in my book, and although my shop tried to help me solve it, there was nothing that could be done. It also droned like hell due to the location behind the rear seats (or so I thought). Fast forward to now. I'm tired of my cutout rattling and I want a proper exhaust. After some research, it seemed there weren't many options for 535xi exhausts for the E60 that were worth the cash, so I decided to have my exhaust shop fab me one from the secondary cats back. It is 2.5" piping with 3" tips that I had powdercoated matte black. They recommended placing an x pipe after the secondary cats for performance reasons, which I don't know if I agree with or not, but allowed them to do anyways. From there, they ran straight pipes to the tips. First impressions were not good. It's much quieter than with the cutout for some reason (maybe because of the X pipe, and still drones more than I would like. I would like to give it some time to break in, as the changed tone dramatically after the first few thousand miles with the cutout. Back to the drawing board, I guess. I'm aware multiple members have ran resonators in place of their secondary cats, but I want to keep those as I am doing downpipes soon and the secondary cats should help kill the smell. Not sure what my next move is, so any input is appreciated. I tried to link the pictures in so they were larger, and I could add more than 5, but I couldn't figure out how.
Attached Thumbnails My custom exhaust journey-011.jpg   My custom exhaust journey-015.jpg   My custom exhaust journey-018.jpg   My custom exhaust journey-019.jpg   My custom exhaust journey-021.jpg  

Last edited by 535_ECOBOOST; 03-23-2015 at 07:57 PM.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:29 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: E61 with all the mods
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Nice, another experimental build thread only helps everyone out.
- Any videos of the the valve open/closed? (probably not since it was only 24 hours but curious anyway)
- What brand/model valve is that?

I am getting some consistent feedback from exhaust shops that eliminating the parallel piping and running single pipe should improve the drone and if it doesn't it will at least make managing it easier.
I should be able to confirm or deny this in a couple weeks after my new system is built.

All the best,
Evan
Old 03-24-2015, 05:54 PM
New Members

Unfortunately I don't have any videos of the valve opening or closing.
The brand was frozen boost, and it was of very poor quality. However I thought all my rattle problems would be solved by removing it and I still have a new, different type of rattle. I have no idea what could be causing this and will be going back to my exhaust guys tomorrow.

As a side note, I was reading your exhaust thread and it looked like you were possibly integrating a cutout in some way? Interested to see how that plays out. What size piping were you planning on going if you went single exit?
Old 03-24-2015, 06:35 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: E61 with all the mods
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by 535_ECOBOOST
Unfortunately I don't have any videos of the valve opening or closing.
The brand was frozen boost, and it was of very poor quality. However I thought all my rattle problems would be solved by removing it and I still have a new, different type of rattle. I have no idea what could be causing this and will be going back to my exhaust guys tomorrow.

As a side note, I was reading your exhaust thread and it looked like you were possibly integrating a cutout in some way? Interested to see how that plays out. What size piping were you planning on going if you went single exit?

Frozen boost, such a piercingly cool name. lol I assume you are aware of waste-gate rattle with the turbos and what that sounds like correct?

If all goes to plan, I am running twin 2.5" pipes which collect into a single 3" piping a few feet after my DPs (maybe 2 feet) the collection will happen before bend where the oem exhaust routing goes from passenger side more towards the midline of the car. In section 2 will have a vibrant ultra quiet resonator, 3" piping will continue until a Y-pipe and QTP valve which will be right by the rear axle.

When closed the exhaust will continue go through an additional vibrant UQ resonator in the muffler section before exiting through a tip, when open it will be 3" straight pipe to the other tip. I will be using my same black 3.5" slash cut tips. I also asked the shop to offset the 3" piping in section 2 in the off chance there is too much drone, I want to leave room to add a legit branch resonator.

I will report back, also if the system turns out well I already talked to the owner about possibly putting together a group by for future systems designed off mine, he said the price to replicate my system is about 1/2 of what I am paying. ...taking one for the team!

Evan
Old 03-24-2015, 08:00 PM
New Members

Wish their products were half as good as their name lol. Sounds like you have quite the system prepared. If it works out, you can definitely put me down for one!!! Unfortunately when your pioneering mods for others like your doing, you almost always end up incurring extra costs in the process.