E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

M5 Mirrors - Difference between LHD and RHD versions

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 02:15 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys

Here is a real testing question for the technically intitated among you.

I have bought some M5 mirrors from Ebay Germany, and they are for Left hand drive vehicles. My car is Right hand drive.

I have fitted the Right hand (passenger) mirror on my drivers side and have decided that I can live with it.

For the Left hand mirror which is meant to be the drivers mirror, I have found that it just does not work as a passenger mirror because it does not angle in towards the driver enough........So overtaking and parking could be a real nightmare.

To rectify, I have a plan, but I need you guys to tell me if it will work or not........

If we split the mirror to its component parts, we have the following:

Upper housing
Lower cover cap (the black body part)
Retaining ring (or outer ring)
Retaining plate (also known as base plate)
Carrier (i.e. the main motor, including all cabling)
Mirror

Of the above, I know that the Retaining plate and Upper housing will be different between LHD and RHD versions.
But assuming all the other parts are commonly shared between the two versions, then it would seem that all I need to do is buy a RHD version Retaining plate and Upper housing. I then just need to fit the other remaining parts to these.

Or are there other parts that will be different between LHD and RHD versions ?? In particular the carrier would be key, because I assume this would be the most expensive part to buy.

Please tell me guys if my plan is a sound one. Many thanks.

P.S. I already have experience of taking apart the whole mirror because I needed to do this to get the parts repainted. Also I have already tested both mirrors to see if they work......and they do.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:38 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gudge' post='455326' date='Aug 4 2007, 02:15 PM
Guys

Here is a real testing question for the technically intitated among you.

I have bought some M5 mirrors from Ebay Germany, and they are for Left hand drive vehicles. My car is Right hand drive.

I have fitted the Right hand (passenger) mirror on my drivers side and have decided that I can live with it.

For the Left hand mirror which is meant to be the drivers mirror, I have found that it just does not work as a passenger mirror because it does not angle in towards the driver enough........So overtaking and parking could be a real nightmare.

To rectify, I have a plan, but I need you guys to tell me if it will work or not........

If we split the mirror to its component parts, we have the following:

Upper housing
Lower cover cap (the black body part)
Retaining ring (or outer ring)
Retaining plate (also known as base plate)
Carrier (i.e. the main motor, including all cabling)
Mirror

Of the above, I know that the Retaining plate and Upper housing will be different between LHD and RHD versions.
But assuming all the other parts are commonly shared between the two versions, then it would seem that all I need to do is buy a RHD version Retaining plate and Upper housing. I then just need to fit the other remaining parts to these.

Or are there other parts that will be different between LHD and RHD versions ?? In particular the carrier would be key, because I assume this would be the most expensive part to buy.

Please tell me guys if my plan is a sound one. Many thanks.

P.S. I already have experience of taking apart the whole mirror because I needed to do this to get the parts repainted. Also I have already tested both mirrors to see if they work......and they do.
The retaining plate is different. I am not sure about the upper housing. I think everything else is shared between LHD and RHD cars. However, before I lead you down that path check www.realoem.com for the part numbers and you can see exactly what's different.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:58 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wilson is the one who has RHD car, but bought LHD mirror. You can ask him.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:11 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by E60M5E60' post='455400' date='Aug 5 2007, 04:38 AM
The retaining plate is different. I am not sure about the upper housing. I think everything else is shared between LHD and RHD cars. However, before I lead you down that path check www.realoem.com for the part numbers and you can see exactly what's different.
Thanks! Checked Real OEM. The good news is that all the parts I thought were the same, are........and so is the upper housing !. Bad news is that there is no separate part number for the retaining plate ............Which presumably means I can't order just that part !!!

From what I can see the mirrors (glass bit only) are the same as well between LHD and RHD.

Any other ideas ??
Old 08-05-2007, 12:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by my530i' post='455415' date='Aug 5 2007, 06:58 AM
Wilson is the one who has RHD car, but bought LHD mirror. You can ask him.
I would have suggested him to begin to drive on the correct side j/k
Old 08-05-2007, 12:49 AM
Senior Members

Any one have any ideas where I can obtain just a retaining plate (Left hand side passenger side on a RHD vehicle). Thanks.
Old 08-05-2007, 01:04 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by Gudge' post='455456' date='Aug 5 2007, 10:49 AM
Any one have any ideas where I can obtain just a retaining plate (Left hand side passenger side on a RHD vehicle). Thanks.

If you need only a part .. Why don't you order it by the dealer ?
Old 08-05-2007, 04:20 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by AlexFW' post='455457' date='Aug 5 2007, 10:04 AM
If you need only a part .. Why don't you order it by the dealer ?
Iwill try, but as I said earlier, I don't think you can buy just the retaining plate on its own...........it is not listed as a separate part on realoem.com
Old 08-05-2007, 04:27 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Try looking at the Retaining plate and see if there is any part number printed on it. You should be able to work out the BMW part number from that. However I wonder if BMW will sell that separately.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:28 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='455486' date='Aug 5 2007, 01:27 PM
Try looking at the Retaining plate and see if there is any part number printed on it. You should be able to work out the BMW part number from that. However I wonder if BMW will sell that separately.
Here is an update guys. Phoned around various BMW dealers........they will not sell the retaining plate as a separate item.....just in case anyone was wondering.

So what I am going to do is buy the Right hand drive versions and swap the retaining plates myself. What a hassle !!

Quick Reply: M5 Mirrors - Difference between LHD and RHD versions