E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

M5 look front bumper questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 08:08 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Thanks, I think I'm going to stick with OEM. I have no desire to have to modify something to accept PDC sensors, and the fact that you have to drill for them tells me that the contours that surround the sensors that are molded into the OEM bumper aren't going to be present on the aftermarket M5 bumpers. So I'll have a mismatch compared to the rear, not to mention there is no provision for using my brake ducts. I like to be able to just buy something and slap it on with this car, be it OEM or aftermarket. In order to use brake ducts, I'd have to get M5 ducts, which means I have no foglights. I appreciate everyone's input.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:37 AM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: M5
Model Year: 2008

With your decision made, this post response is to those that are considering otherwise.
Originally Posted by KyleB
Thanks, I think I'm going to stick with OEM. I have no desire to have to modify something to accept PDC sensors,

You're not modifying anything outside the ordinary, no molding, no reshaping, just that you are drilling holes, which have been done at least 100+ times with no issues

and the fact that you have to drill for them tells me that the contours that surround the sensors that are molded into the OEM bumper aren't going to be present on the aftermarket M5 bumpers.

this couldn't be further from the facts. the contours are exactly the same and the PDC fit exactly the same. You literally take the old PDC sensor bracket and sensor and attach to the back of the bumper, it slips right into the hole and contours exactly the same. When done even reasonably well, no one would ever know the difference.

So I'll have a mismatch compared to the rear, not to mention there is no provision for using my brake ducts.

This is the same for E60 m5 bumpers vs E60 M5tech bumpers, exactly the same. Now, if you're comparing E60 Mtech aftermarket bumpers vs E60 Mtech factory bumpers, those bumpers are exactly the same and any parts for the OEM bumper will fit the aftermarket bumper and vice versa

I like to be able to just buy something and slap it on with this car, be it OEM or aftermarket. In order to use brake ducts, I'd have to get M5 ducts, which means I have no foglights. I appreciate everyone's input.

If you are going from factory non-M5 bumper - standard style bumper no matter what bumper you buy, you will have to buy additional pieces if you want factory style ducting. This is true of OEM or non-OEM. Anyone that thinks otherwise hasn't actually installed these bumpers.
Sorry to see you g But no worries hopefully we'll have others interested
Old 06-17-2016, 02:03 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by umnitza
With your decision made, this post response is to those that are considering otherwise.

Sorry to see you g But no worries hopefully we'll have others interested
I have a factory M Technic kit on the car now. the M5Tech bumper doesn't allow me to use my brake ducts, and that's enough to make me stick with OE. Thanks for all of the info though. I will be installing a cow-catcher on my new bumper (aka chin spoiler), and I'll keep you in mind. thanks again for the input.
Old 06-17-2016, 02:17 PM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: M5
Model Year: 2008

I have a factory M Technic kit on the car now. the M5Tech bumper doesn't allow me to use my brake ducts, and that's enough to make me stick with OE. Thanks for all of the info though. I will be installing a cow-catcher on my new bumper (aka chin spoiler), and I'll keep you in mind. thanks again for the input.
My apologies, I had not realized you already had the factory M kit.

In your case, ONLY an aftermarket Mtech bumper - of which there are literally only 2 left in the whole country (and we have them hahahaha) would have worked for you with all the "fixins" that you already have.

---

On another note, we uploaded the video of the M5tech bumper installed yesterday.
It's cheesy, but it's clean enough.

Old 07-18-2016, 04:53 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you get a M-tech style bumper yet? I have one for sale, brand new (aftermarket) in Jaxs...
I ordered it as a M5 style and got M-tech...
Old 07-20-2016, 04:40 PM
Members
Senior Members

No, went with an OEM M technic again, going to order the hamann style splitter for added protection. Thanks for the offer though!
Old 06-13-2018, 01:32 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 545i stock
Default Colour

Hi what is the colour of your car