E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Led Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 06:35 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 530i
Question Led Advice?

Hello all!

I was looking to upgrade my halogen headlights to something a little bit more modern. I asked google for advice and couldn't have any proper answer.
I have a 2004 530i E60 with Halogen Lights (Pre-LCI).
Well, I would like to get HID upgrade kit, but I don't want to drill any holes in the back of my headlights. The other option would be LED headlight upgrade kits. I have found something on Ebay, but not sure if it will be safe for the plastic surrounding it. Here is the piece: H7 4th gen ebay

I thought I could seek for the experts' advice.

Thanks!

Last edited by amoudson; 01-15-2015 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention the car I'm driving
Old 01-15-2015, 08:13 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 530Xi
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by amoudson
Hello all!

I was looking to upgrade my halogen headlights to something a little bit more modern. I asked google for advice and couldn't have any proper answer.
I have a 2004 530i E60 with Halogen Lights (Pre-LCI).
Well, I would like to get HID upgrade kit, but I don't want to drill any holes in the back of my headlights. The other option would be LED headlight upgrade kits. I have found something on Ebay, but not sure if it will be safe for the plastic surrounding it. Here is the piece: H7 4th gen ebay

I thought I could seek for the experts' advice.

Thanks!
LED are nice, as accent lighting such as braking signaling etc. But not as driving light. I don't think they are bright enough for that purpose. HID are bright, can be annoyance to other drivers... That's why I'm using 55W HID on mine haha, I'm so bad. I'd recommend the 35W HID 6000K, and not LEDs. Yes, you have to drill a little hole on the covers, they are replaceable covers anyway if you want to go back to OEM. But trust me, once you have them HID on you won't go back to halogen. Good luck with your finding.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:11 PM
New Members

Hello Quanger!
Thanks a lot for the fast reply!
I thought that with newer technology, maybe LED could be appropriate for replacing regular H7 Halogen bulb, just like we can see them in newer cars?

Is there any specific HID upgrade kit that you would recommend? I was thinking 55w too, Low and High Beam (I am easy to get annoyed so when I am, I always payback ). I don't want to deal with those cheap ebay chinese knockoffs! To be honest, HID is my favorite option. Now that you told me, I don't mind drilling in the back cover.

Thanks
Old 01-16-2015, 06:53 AM
Members
Senior Members

Hello Quanger!
Thanks a lot for the fast reply!
I thought that with newer technology, maybe LED could be appropriate for replacing regular H7 Halogen bulb, just like we can see them in newer cars?

Is there any specific HID upgrade kit that you would recommend? I was thinking 55w too, Low and High Beam (I am easy to get annoyed so when I am, I always payback ). I don't want to deal with those cheap ebay chinese knockoffs! To be honest, HID is my favorite option. Now that you told me, I don't mind drilling in the back cover.

Thanks
Do some research, did some before I bought mine sets. VVME are on my car, both fogs and low beams(Vvme AC 55W HID Conversion Kit H4 H7 H11 H13 9003 9005 9006 6K 5K Hi Lo Bi Xenon | eBay)

Also DDM brand, personally I have not use them but they have some good reviews. Well to be fair, they (VVME &DDM) are both have some bad reviews too, but lots more goods than bads. Thats why I bought them.Not all are in the same batch is my guess. So cross your fingers and hope you get a good batch. Been using mine for over a year now, and I'm not complaining, only other drivers at first LoL. I readjusted and move the beam down a bit so no more complain haha
Old 01-16-2015, 07:07 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 BMW 528XI, 1954 Oldsmobile Super 88 324cui
Model Year: 2010

I did a write up on the DDM units. I thought about doing the High beams but because they're used for day time running lights it might be a little more work and research. I left the fogs as halogen (less glare in the fog...)... But these are bright enough that the high beams are almost not needed even in the darkest/rainest/snowest nights we've had here in New England.

https://5series.net/forums/diy-do-yo...nstall-140607/
Old 01-16-2015, 06:22 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Canada22
I did a write up on the DDM units. I thought about doing the High beams but because they're used for day time running lights it might be a little more work and research. I left the fogs as halogen (less glare in the fog...)... But these are bright enough that the high beams are almost not needed even in the darkest/rainest/snowest nights we've had here in New England.

+1 very rarely use high beam. Matter of fact, I have the car for almost 8 years now, and never once using the high beam. And yes the low beam HID are bright enough already
Old 01-24-2015, 11:13 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by quanger
Do some research, did some before I bought mine sets. VVME are on my car, both fogs and low beams(Vvme AC 55W HID Conversion Kit H4 H7 H11 H13 9003 9005 9006 6K 5K Hi Lo Bi Xenon | eBay)

Also DDM brand, personally I have not use them but they have some good reviews. Well to be fair, they (VVME &DDM) are both have some bad reviews too, but lots more goods than bads. Thats why I bought them.Not all are in the same batch is my guess. So cross your fingers and hope you get a good batch. Been using mine for over a year now, and I'm not complaining, only other drivers at first LoL. I readjusted and move the beam down a bit so no more complain haha
Hey Quanger,
Sorry for the late reply, I was out of town
It is kind of funny that you mentioned VVME, because I bought a set of them for an old car I had (99 corolla), and that was back in 2008. Honestly, I didn't find them really bright and the 6000k were too blue IMO (that was back then) but I recently read some good review about them.
PS: I have halogen lights, what do I need to buy other than the 55w kit and the error canceler? I read somewhere we need adapter brackets, and some type of harness? Is that necessary?
Thanks
Old 01-24-2015, 11:15 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by Canada22

Hello Canada22,
I saw your page on the tutorial to install the headlights. Unfortunately, mine are Halogen and pre-lci so the process to install them will be different

Thanks anyway!
Old 01-26-2015, 04:06 AM
New Members

Hello Canada22,
I saw your page on the tutorial to install the headlights. Unfortunately, mine are Halogen and pre-lci so the process to install them will be different

Thanks anyway!
Mine are halogens... the difference between Pre-LCI and LCI is the plug from the harness of the car to the headlight. Beyond that everything else is the same.

Believe it or not the process is the same.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:09 AM
New Members

PS: I have halogen lights, what do I need to buy other than the 55w kit and the error canceler? (This is all you need)

I read somewhere we need adapter brackets, and some type of harness? Is that necessary? ..
Thanks
Use some zip ties and you are good to go. The adapter bracket is a waste, and I don't know what harness you are talking about, unless you plan on doing the high beams (which are Day Time Runing lights (DTR)). In which case you'll need a harness to plug to the batter terminal in the engine bay. That's next on my 'to do' list, and I'll do another write up.

Quick Reply: Led Advice?