E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

LCI Auto Transmission in pre-LCI retrofit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 12:02 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2003 E60 520i Black Metalic. Glass Sun Roof, Climate Control High, Bluetooth, Leather Memory, PDC, Adaptive Xenon, Navi Pro, Voice Control, Ipod, Folding rear seats, OEM 172 19" Summer Wheels, OEM 138 17" Winter Wheels.
Default LCI Auto Transmission in pre-LCI retrofit?

Hi

My friends 2004 530d auto trans has given up, and we are looking to replace it. I was wondering if it is possible to fit the new transmission from the LCI model? In that case I would need to replace the shifter as well - but then I could do the SAT retrofit or? I am not sure if the ECU can be programmed to work on a pre-LCI car though.

Any thoughts? Anybody done it?

Thanks,
Old 07-11-2013, 02:46 PM
New Members

Hi,

Went that road.

You will need:

Transmission from LCI
Engine from LCI that fits that transmission

bunch of little things to make it happen.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2003 E60 520i Black Metalic. Glass Sun Roof, Climate Control High, Bluetooth, Leather Memory, PDC, Adaptive Xenon, Navi Pro, Voice Control, Ipod, Folding rear seats, OEM 172 19" Summer Wheels, OEM 138 17" Winter Wheels.

Originally Posted by Mantelis88
Hi,

Went that road.

You will need:

Transmission from LCI

Hmm - was hoping I could fit the transmission on the pre-LCI engine. Should be same mechanical layout?

What are the "little things"? :-)

Thanks,
Old 07-11-2013, 11:38 PM
New Members

From my experience, the LCI transmission does not fit the pre-LCI engine.
I can confirm it really works and possible, but you need to change both.

Little things are the ones, that you need to change when changing the engine and transmission - bolts, wires, etc. Nothing major as far as I remember.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:34 PM
Contributors

From my experience, the LCI transmission does not fit the pre-LCI engine.
I can confirm it really works and possible, but you need to change both.

Little things are the ones, that you need to change when changing the engine and transmission - bolts, wires, etc. Nothing major as far as I remember.
Ok - changing both tranny and engine is not going happen. I guess we just have to source a pre-lci tranny then

Thanks for the help anyway.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:06 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW 530D M-Sport, Steptronic, Grey Metallic, Retrofits: Sport Comfort Black Leather, M-Sport Alu Cube Dash Trim, Shadow Line Trim, CCC Pro Nav, Full M5 Conversion, M5 Mirrors, Quad M5, 20" M5 Gloss Black wheels, AC High Panel, Internal Boot Release, Mods: Xenons, Carbon Fibre Roof, Dension 500, Drilled & Grooved Discs,

Hi,

Went that road.

You will need:

Transmission from LCI

hi buddy looking to fix a car with damaged engine car is 55 plate so has a fob
i have brought a used engine and gearbox from quarry motors from a lci model

so what do i need to make the gearbox work with the car

im changing from same 535d auto pre lci to 535d lci engine and auto box

i guess most of the engine loom will connect to the existing car connections fine as both engine are very similar

what do i need to do to make the gearbox work any extra wiring or connection i need to add

any advice would be great before i start as you have already done this
Old 01-01-2015, 01:57 AM
New Members

My Ride: e60 pre lci 530d

any luck with project BallyM5?

the turbo is electrically operated and gearbox as well did you swap the ecu?
Old 01-07-2015, 07:26 AM
New Members

My Ride: E61 535d 510hp 975nm

I tried to swap LCI 6HP28 gearbox to my pre-LCI 535d with no success till now. The gearbox fits mechanically to the engine, to the prop shaft and the body just like the old box. Also fitted LCI electronic gear lever and made wiring to it and modified the gearbox wiring. The hard part is to make it work. Now transmission is in fail safe mode with only 3rd gear available in position D. No manual mode. Reverse and parking works normally. Some of the best local BMW specialized shops tried to code with no success...There are 3 error codes stored in the transmission. 1st: no communication with CAS, 2nd: no communication with DDE, 3rd idle speed signal from DDE.
Does anybody know somebody who did this swap successfully?
Old 01-10-2015, 04:17 AM
New Members

My Ride: e60 pre lci 530d

Originally Posted by ShermanBG
I tried to swap LCI 6HP28 gearbox to my pre-LCI 535d with no success till now. The gearbox fits mechanically to the engine, to the prop shaft and the body just like the old box. Also fitted LCI electronic gear lever and made wiring to it and modified the gearbox wiring. The hard part is to make it work. Now transmission is in fail safe mode with only 3rd gear available in position D. No manual mode. Reverse and parking works normally. Some of the best local BMW specialized shops tried to code with no success...There are 3 error codes stored in the transmission. 1st: no communication with CAS, 2nd: no communication with DDE, 3rd idle speed signal from DDE.

maybe it needs dde swap also? Cas is something with immobiliser as i'm aware.
Old 01-10-2015, 01:30 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d

Originally Posted by ShermanBG
Check what BUS they communicate over, for example the pre lci LMA uses CANBUS but lci uses LINBUS

this sounds like your issue.

This is assuming you've changed the gear lever over too, because the new one is fly by wire, the old level is mechanical.

Let us know how you get on!

Quick Reply: LCI Auto Transmission in pre-LCI retrofit?