E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

increased battery discharged

Old 10-23-2013, 08:19 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i MTech Pkg, Vossen Wheels, 20 inch Nitto invos, rear spoiler, front lip ,to date
Default increased battery discharged

I have recently been prompted to reset the time/date and received messages increase battery discharge has anyone else had these issues.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:44 PM
Members

My Ride: 09 550i 6sp M-Tech. 18mm spacers rear, 8mm front. Dinan intake and Stage 2 tune. Tinted tails, M5 OEM lip spoiler. 08 Z4 3.0si Black on Black with Beige top. Removable hardtop. (Hers) 06 Volvo S60R Heavily Modded!! Gone and missed.

Originally Posted by BLuke
I have recently been prompted to reset the time/date and received messages increase battery discharge has anyone else had these issues.
Yes, for me that's the first sign that the battery is on it's last legs. How old is your battery?
Old 10-24-2013, 05:27 PM
Administrator

Received 96 Likes on 92 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52
Exclamation Do a search!

There was just a detailed discussion about this on the E60 Discussion Forum.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:14 PM
New Members

My Ride: 535d Sport

I had this exact same problem and still do! Had my 535d in at the dealership last week for diagnostic, and they came back with two potential problems.....

As bobbrown13 said, Battery on its way out - this would require an additional day in the workshop to perform a discharge test (for the cost of labour, I'd rather just buy a new battery)

IBS cable needs replaced! Approx £190 for a cable and £150 labour charge :-(

On the plus side, the guys said the car runs perfectly, and if I could live without the date and time, then do! I had the battery tested by a mate at a VW garage and he said the battery is fine so think I'm gonna go down the ibs route, now toying with the idea of buying the cable and installing it myself with the help of a DIY tutorial on the forums???
Old 10-25-2013, 12:45 PM
New Members

I had the same message if had the doors open or radio on for just a few minutes without starting the car. A batttery test showed as fine, but the problem was that the battery could not hold enough charge, but was still above the voltage that the battery test looks at. You shouldnt have a problem once the car is started as it will charge, but I recommend saving for a battery.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:48 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Wee_chris
I had this exact same problem and still do! Had my 535d in at the dealership last week for diagnostic, and they came back with two potential problems.....

As bobbrown13 said, Battery on its way out - this would require an additional day in the workshop to perform a discharge test (for the cost of labour, I'd rather just buy a new battery)

IBS cable needs replaced! Approx £190 for a cable and £150 labour charge :-(

On the plus side, the guys said the car runs perfectly, and if I could live without the date and time, then do! I had the battery tested by a mate at a VW garage and he said the battery is fine so think I'm gonna go down the ibs route, now toying with the idea of buying the cable and installing it myself with the help of a DIY tutorial on the forums???
Wouldn't it cheaper to try the battery route first? My battery tested fine at two places, yet when I replaced it, all my problems went away.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:32 PM
New Members

My Ride: 535d Sport

Originally Posted by jayarras
Wouldn't it cheaper to try the battery route first? My battery tested fine at two places, yet when I replaced it, all my problems went away.

Possibly, I suppose I was going on the advice that the battery was fine when VW checked it out. Even at that, a battery from the dealership is £150+. I've heard horror story's about people buying and installing it themselves. Something about programming the battery to the car?
Old 10-25-2013, 01:46 PM
Administrator

Possibly, I suppose I was going on the advice that the battery was fine when VW checked it out. Even at that, a battery from the dealership is £150+. I've heard horror story's about people buying and installing it themselves. Something about programming the battery to the car?
I don't know what your auto part store situation is in Scotland, but in the U.S. there are a lot of national chains who sell perfectly fine aftermarket batteries. You DO have to register the battery afterwords so that the charging system can function properly.

I recently got such a battery from a national chain for 140 USD and had it registered by an independent mechanic for 40 USD. The dealers over here charge 300 USD on up for such services. Depending on your locale, you may be at the mercy of your local BMW dealer.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:33 AM
New Members

I changed the battery out myself and only took the normal precautions to cover terminals and ensure to shorting on anything. It went without a hitch, no errors, no coding, nothing.., nada.

I read online that some guys had to reset steering angle sensor to turning to full lock in both directions, but i did not have that issue, niether did my setting from the radio etc get lost.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:56 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 535d Sport

I've always wondered what is the purpose of registering a new battery. 12V DC is 12V DC is it not?.

Has anyone else changed a battery and not registered it?. Any problems with doing so?.

I don't have any battery issues (yet!), but I do stick the battery on a charger for a few hours every week just to keep it topped up, especially as winter is getting closer and headlight and heated seat use increases and glow plugs get more of a work out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: increased battery discharged