E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

I killed the darn seat belt alert

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 12:45 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had enough!!! :bashwall:
That seat belt alert, and particularly the annoying chime, was driving me crazy.
I'm wearing my belt 95% of the time, but I don't need some dimwit in Munich or Woodcliff Lake to run my life for the times I don't!

To you, sanctimonious few who are ready to lecture this 51-year old on the merits of wearing the belt at all times, please, stop emulating your dads and move on to www.afa.net.

For the others, here is how I disabled the alert.

First, I pried open the shell of the buckle by applying pressure with a screwdriver in the slot, 3 quarters to the back.

I killed the darn seat belt alert-buckle.jpg

Here are the 2 parts of the shell.
Notice that there are (1) two little plastic posts (tenons) that held the shell together. Those break off neatly when you pry the shell open.

I killed the darn seat belt alert-shell.jpg

This is how the alert works.
The left part of the blue striped plastic element slides down, and presses down a small spring-loaded peg.

I killed the darn seat belt alert-mechanism.jpg

To keep that element loaded down, I inserted a small flat and narrow piece of metal in the gorge where the little square protuberance travels. My contraption gets loaded in the gorge by the spring. A little bit of crazy glue to hold the metal piece in place for when the belt is used.

I killed the darn seat belt alert-fix.jpg

Finally, some crazy glue in areas (1) and (2) of the shell halves to put it all back together, and voil?! No more Muzak!

Now, if only I knew how to disable the moronic Lawyer startup screen!
Old 11-20-2004, 12:50 PM
Members

Very impressive work. Not sure if I'd be bold enough to pop the thing open though. I just live with it and put on my belt ASAP.
Old 11-20-2004, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Well done!

In version 14 I don't get the chime or the warning for the passenger, just for the driver. And the chime takes waaaay longer.
Old 11-20-2004, 01:09 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i -6speed - Comfort Seats - Premium Package - Premium Sound Package - Cold Weather Package - Ventilated Seats - Xenon -HUD - PDC - Nav

iceman .... about how long does it take in v.14 for the car to recognice that you have your seatbelt on? for me, 13.3 takes about 5-10 seconds for the system to realize & turn off/clear the seatbelt notice.
Old 11-20-2004, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

It takes about 2 (two) seconds, longer than before but less than on alohalc's and yours. His is about the same like yours...
Old 11-20-2004, 01:34 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

After the "sealbelt topic", I laughed myself silly when I got my E60.

My car has NO seatbelt chime. Just a red light in the dash.

Why is that. I would have thought there would be a reminder chime.

I feel naked without a seatbelt on. However if you don't wear a seatbelt, it's unlikely to hurt anyone else, so I'm not bothered at all what others do. I just think it's funny that my car doesn't chime. Is this a UK and/or Europe spec. Or is my car somehow strange.
Old 11-20-2004, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

I think your car has software version 14. Try driving off without the seatbelt and you'll get the chime.
That's how it is on mine.
Old 11-20-2004, 02:14 PM
Members

Smile

Originally Posted by yvesj' date='Nov 20 2004, 03:45 PM
I've had enough!!! :bashwall:
That seat belt alert, and particularly the annoying chime, was driving me crazy.
I'm wearing my belt 95% of the time, but I don't need some dimwit in Munich or Woodcliff Lake to run my life for the times I don't!

To you, sanctimonious few who are ready to lecture this 51-year old on the merits of wearing the belt at all times, please, stop emulating your dads and move on to www.afa.net.

For the others, here is how I disabled the alert.

First, I pried open the shell of the buckle by applying pressure with a screwdriver in the slot, 3 quarters to the back.

Attachment 3457

Here are the 2 parts of the shell.
Notice that there are (1) two little plastic posts (tenons) that held the shell together. Those break off neatly when you pry the shell open.

Attachment 3458

This is how the alert works.
The left part of the blue striped plastic element slides down, and presses down a small spring-loaded peg.

Attachment 3459

To keep that element loaded down, I inserted a small flat and narrow piece of metal in the gorge where the little square protuberance travels. My contraption gets loaded in the gorge by the spring. A little bit of crazy glue to hold the metal piece in place for when the belt is used.

Attachment 3461

Finally, some crazy glue in areas (1) and (2) of the shell halves to put it all back together, and voil?! No more Muzak!

Now, if only I knew how to disable the moronic Lawyer startup screen!
[snapback]58516[/snapback]
I'm sincerely do not want to start a flame war, but I can not hold my tongue on this subject. I'm not here to lecture you, but I will say the following... YOU ARE AN IDIOT!!! I'd love to show you the pictures of my friend's vehicle that rolled four times after a teenager lost control and slammed into their car. The CHP that responded was shocked anyone was alive. All five passengers of the car survived and are alive as a result of wearing their seat belts. Maybe if you work hard enough you can figure out a way to disable the airbags as well.
Old 11-20-2004, 02:36 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i -6speed - Comfort Seats - Premium Package - Premium Sound Package - Cold Weather Package - Ventilated Seats - Xenon -HUD - PDC - Nav

Originally Posted by redondoman' date='Nov 20 2004, 07:14 PM
[quote name='yvesj' date='Nov 20 2004, 03:45 PM']I've had enough!!! :bashwall:

[snapback]58516[/snapback]
I'm sincerly do not want to start a flame war, but I can not hold my tongue on this subject. I'm not hear to lecture you, but I will say the following... YOU ARE AN IDIOT!!! I'd love to show you the pictures of my friends who's vehicle rolled four times after a teenager lost control and slammed into their car. The CHP that responded was shocked anyone was alive. All five passengers of the car survived and are alive as a result of wearing their seat belts. Maybe if you work hard enough you can figuire out a way to disable the airbags as well.
[snapback]58552[/snapback]
[/quote]

1. i personally have lots a dear friend due to a highway accident where she was ejected from her car, supposedly not wearing her seatbelt .. eventhough that any & everybody that knew her knows that she wouldn't back out of a parking spot w/out her seat belt on.

2. read the bold. everybody knows how important it is to wear a seatbelt, and if people care to ignore it & NOT wear their seatbelt it mostly is their own life they endanger.

3. he did NOT disable his seatbelt buckle, or anything else for that matter which would create a dangerous situation. he merely found a way to disable the chime. and with v13.3 i can fully understand why anybody would do this, as it takes quite a while for the warning to clear.

and as you said, no hate intended. flame away.....
Old 11-20-2004, 02:38 PM
Senior Members

lost* a dear friend

Quick Reply: I killed the darn seat belt alert