E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Hexon RR550 on Order and Possible Intakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 05:12 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: A4
Model Year: 2017
Default Hexon RR550 on Order and Possible Intakes

Well, thanks to ucsbwsr's thread and the undetermined fate of the RB SuperEVO turbos, I decided to pull the trigger and order a set of Hexon turbos for my 2009 535xi. I plan on getting them installed by a local shop with a set of downpipes. I do have an issue on inlets. The TFT inletsare only available for the 335i, but an email out to Brian of TFT had some encouraging news.

If there is enough interest in the 535i community, Brian might design inlets for our platform. If you think you could use more power and really let your turbos work (even if stock turbos with tune), then new inlets are a path to that goal.

Anybody else interested in inlets?
Old 03-23-2016, 06:47 AM
New Members

My Ride: is black
Model Year: 535

I know it's old thread but is there any update on inlets for 535xi?
Old 03-23-2016, 07:06 AM
Members

My Ride: A4
Model Year: 2017

I don't have nice pictures like ucsbwsr, but I can type some things. Basically, I have the parts and sent them with the car to my mechanic several weeks ago. He started the Monday before last, but ran into an issue with the rear turbo. The turbo was for the 3 series. It was returned and I am now waiting for the correct turbo to arrive.

I actually changed from the RR550 to the RR700 and will run the AD Engineering PI setup with the Haltech controller. This will be fueled by the fuel-it! stage 2 bucket with the addition of an in-line pump and fuel pressure regulator. Steve didn't have a stage 3 setup for the 5 series advertised on his site, but he was real easy to work with and shipped out the stuff quickly. I contacted him last Friday and it should be at the shop in a couple of hours; that is great service.

I went with the MMP turbo to intercooler piping and the VTT inlets. I ordered the VTT inlets when they were the only 5er solution. I don't have the skill to fabricate my own stuff, so I figured this was a good solution. I have the RB oil drains going in to ensure oil flows smoothly through the turbos and went with Hexon's recommended Penn Grade oil with zinc.

I will have Wedge Performance due the tuning with MHD. With his tune running 100% E85 - that's the goal anyway - I will see if I can get 700 WHP. If I do it will be nice to see how long the axles last.

I did just order a used set of M5 brakes on eBay to be able to cope with the added performance. Also, I just am not too much of a fan for the stock brakes. My 335i I had featured larger front rotors, despite being hundreds of pounds lighter, so I wonder why the decision to go with the brakes they did on the 535xi.

If things go well for the rest of the install, I should have the car in a week or two from the shop and then probably another week to get it tuned. I will be sure to post dynos and logs once everything is done, but I'll have no stock numbers for comparison. Summit Raceway first Test and Tune session is sometime in April and I would like to get some time slips. Hoping for tens but the car is heavy. I could use a diet, too.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:22 AM
New Members

My Ride: is black
Model Year: 535

Great update! I'm jealous
I would worry more about tranny than axels with 700whp
Please post some pics when you have chance...