E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

E60 Tablet Install

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 08:29 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 530i
Default E60 Tablet Install

Decided to put the finished product up top.

I finally got sick of the crappy cd and FM only I had. I searched for a year or so for those who have put in a double din or a tablet and really couldn't find anything. I finally took the plunge. I'm not sure how it is going to come out, but I am giving it a shot. I want this to look like it belongs and not just a tablet mounted somewhere odd. First thing is you obviously have to re-locate the factory radio because of the idrive.

Here is the what the idea is. Sorry about the crappy cell phone pics.

[IMG][/IMG]

Next I made a fiberglass mold, because I want it to be removable. I saw a few youtube videos of this float mount and decided to give it a try. It has a deeper spot at the bottom that will allow you to push on it to pull it out.

[IMG][/IMG]

Here is the finished mold.

[IMG][/IMG]

Cut away a little bit more of the trim. Little by little it is getting there. Picked up this trim at the Pick and Pull for $10.

[IMG][/IMG]

Test fitting in the dash bezel. Had to trim away a little, but very minimal.

[IMG][/IMG]

More test fitting.

[IMG][/IMG]

Here it is just setting there. Once I get it in the right place, I will attach the mold to the trim. Add some plastic to box it in and then use some body filler to make it look as nice as possible. Then paint. It is going good so far, but I have never done this and I have a long way to go.

[IMG][/IMG]

Here is the Tablet sitting about where it should end up. I have it going straight up and down. Might end up with a slight upward tilt. It will be recessed at the top to make it look more natural and give it some shade from the sun.

[IMG][/IMG]

Audio will go through a bluetooth module into the aux port. I am still working on the charging. I am thinking of buying a qi charging coil to affix to the back and then mount a wireless charger behind the fiberglass mold. We'll see if I make it that far.

Oh and don't mind the mess. It has been a long day working on this thing. Thanks for looking and let me know what you think.

And here is a pic of the car just because.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by CHRGRS_BMW; 09-26-2015 at 10:22 AM.
Old 09-20-2015, 09:02 AM
New Members

Working on closing it in. Like I said before, I have never done anything like this, so we'll see how it goes. Using the plastic that I cut out of the trim to close it in.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Once i get all the pieces cut and test fitted. I will begin making them permanent and start on the body filler.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:03 AM
Administrator

Received 96 Likes on 92 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Gonna look awesome! You're a braver man than I am!
Old 09-20-2015, 03:46 PM
New Members

Well the hardest part so far has been re-locating the stock Mask. The only place you can put it is under the dash on the driver's side. I had to take the face off of it to get it to work and also had to remove the small speaker that sits directly under the steering column. Didn't even know that was there. Let's just sayI will not be attempting this again, unless in a car that isn't a BMW.

With it being pretty dark, this gives you a good idea of the finished product even though I am no where close to being done.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-20-2015, 04:09 PM
Administrator

Received 96 Likes on 92 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

So what apps do you plan to run on your tablet? Will you be able to get an internet connection (wi-fi) via your phone?
Old 09-20-2015, 04:26 PM
New Members

I will tether from my phone when i need it. Mainly using it for music and navigation. I use Google Music. I have their monthly subscription, which lets you download music for offline play. Might play around with Torque as well. I just really hate cords around everywhere and wanted something that looked built in. We will see where it goes.
Old 09-20-2015, 06:15 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 535i

Originally Posted by CHRGRS_BMW
Well the hardest part so far has been re-locating the stock Mask. The only place you can put it is under the dash on the driver's side. I had to take the face off of it to get it to work and also had to remove the small speaker that sits directly under the steering column. Didn't even know that was there. Let's just sayI will not be attempting this again, unless in a car that isn't a BMW.

With it being pretty dark, this gives you a good idea of the finished product even though I am no where close to being done.

[IMG][/IMG]

wow! well done! you got skills man!
Old 09-21-2015, 04:13 PM
New Members

Well I am getting closer. Still not sure if the trim is going to turn out the way I want. Definitely something to leave to the professionals, but I am cheap.

Wireless Qi charger. I will fix it to the back of the fiberglass mold, so it will charge when placed in. I want to be able to remove the tablet without any wires.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Here is the Qi wireless reciever. I wish it was built in to the tablet but oh well.

[IMG][/IMG]

Here i am closing it in with plastic, which i epoxied in and will use some hot glue to further stabilize it.

[IMG][/IMG]

Here is everything epoxied in. I will let it set overnight and then tomorrow I will start with the body filler. Unfortunately I had to put a small hole in the mold for the qi wireless receiver that is plugged in to the micro usb port.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks for looking.
Old 09-22-2015, 03:39 PM
New Members

Final stages. I started adding body filler to the trim. I also added a couple coats of primer so I could better see the imperfections. Tomorrow I will hopefully get all the body filler and sanding completed. I am not expecting this to be perfect but it should turn out okay. Once I am happy with the trim, I will give it a few coats of interior/plastic satin black. I am not concerned about the bottom part of the tray. It will be covered with black swede, which will cover it up. Stay tuned.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-22-2015, 04:15 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

damn dude, this is looking nice. good work!

Quick Reply: E60 Tablet Install