E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

E60 N54 Tuning Mod

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 12:56 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

Originally Posted by Errowen
I think i can confirm this from recent experience - last month. Winter gas in Canada from some major suppliers seems to include more ethanol, particularly the 94 octane I usually use. First signs of trouble were slightly reduced power and significantly worse fuel economy, followed by engine light coming on. BMW Service tested the gas in my tank, determined it was 11% ethanol, and advised that the engine error codes were the result of unburned ethanol getting through to the catalytic converter, detonating there. Changing to Shell (no ethanol) brought back performance and fuel economy, even though octane rating was reduced to 91. My conclusion: make sure system tune is appropriate for ethanol.
We normally run about 10% ethanol in all our gas down here in the states with no issues. I seriously doubt that a E11 mix of fuel would cause your engine to go into a reduced power mode. Do you have the codes that they pulled out of the DME? Id be interested in how the dealership came about this theory about unburnt ethanol getting past the cat. Btw I've ran higher levels of ethanol by accident, a E60 vs E45 mix, and a CEL light would come on but no reduced power mode. I would attribute the engine issues you had to bad fuel personally which can and has happen.

Also most gas producers reduce the amount of ethanol in their winter blend of fuel but bump up the concentration of butane to raise the RVP standards. This will allow really cold engines to start easier. This is what causes the majority of the drop in MPG in winter blend of gas and not ethanol content.

Last edited by Booyaazaa; 03-25-2015 at 01:14 AM.
Old 03-28-2015, 03:43 PM
Members

My Ride: 535
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Errowen
I think i can confirm this from recent experience - last month. Winter gas in Canada from some major suppliers seems to include more ethanol, particularly the 94 octane I usually use. First signs of trouble were slightly reduced power and significantly worse fuel economy, followed by engine light coming on. BMW Service tested the gas in my tank, determined it was 11% ethanol, and advised that the engine error codes were the result of unburned ethanol getting through to the catalytic converter, detonating there. Changing to Shell (no ethanol) brought back performance and fuel economy, even though octane rating was reduced to 91. My conclusion: make sure system tune is appropriate for ethanol.
people constantly run more Ethanol than 11%. I've run 30% Ethanol and the only side effect was that the car was faster.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:07 AM
New Members

My Ride: 535i XDrive M Sport Package
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by Booyaazaa
... I seriously doubt that a E11 mix of fuel would cause your engine to go into a reduced power mode. Do you have the codes that they pulled out of the DME? Id be interested in how the dealership came about this theory about unburnt ethanol getting past the cat. Btw I've ran higher levels of ethanol by accident, a E60 vs E45 mix, and a CEL light would come on but no reduced power mode. I would attribute the engine issues you had to bad fuel personally...

It appears I posted too soon and you are right to question the diagnosis.
A couple of days after a change in gas stations as recommended by service tech, the engine light came on again. Smoke test showed leakage in two post-turbo o-rings, which were replaced ($450 -- I am past warranty). Left the car with the dealer for cold start test next morning-- engine light on again. This time all injectors replaced -- courtesy of BMW. Have just completed a 500 mile trip on the gas which was supposedly the problem the first time -- running like new, no lights.

Erroowen
Old 04-06-2015, 07:08 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 535i
Smile Thanks for the Feedback

Thanks for the feedback! I am currently searching out Cobb V2 or V3 from ebay or CL. When I find a good one and buy it I will post the results.

Cheers!