E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Detailed Photos of my Hexon RR550s

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 07:40 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: E61 with all the mods
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54
Default Detailed Photos of my Hexon RR550s

I has come time to upgrade my stock turbos. Smoking has significantly increased in the past few months and they are showing added signs of stress, it was easy for me to justify the upgrade.

There are some nice options available for the N54 engine with RB, VTT, and PUR but I found Hexon to be the best fit for my needs. As a kicker Hexon is a newcomer to the N54 world and I like to be a little different, just as I prefer an E61 to the E60.

Ken sent me some data of his personal RR550 testing and these should have no problem hitting my power goals. I am not aiming for N54 power records as my xi drivetrain will certainly splinter with my E61's 4,600 lb weight, it would be lovely to nestle around 500awhp.

I am torn as I just received the turbos but the install will be sidelined for a few months as next week I start my move to Southern California and will have most of my possessions, and tools, in storage for 1-3 months until I find a suitable rental property (with 2 car garage of course). I prefer not to rush the install and I absolutely want to do it myself so the right thing to do is wait.

Since Hexon isn't very well documented and there has been some conflicting (or lack of definitive) information I thought it may be helpful to the N54 community if I posted some pictures.

Cheers,
Evan

Old 08-07-2015, 07:35 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: is black
Model Year: 535

Very nice... how much? Do they accept core? My oem are still ok but I recently hit 47K miles so slowly searching around for replacement.

thanks
mark
Old 08-07-2015, 07:59 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by wooboodoo
Very nice... how much? Do they accept core? My oem are still ok but I recently hit 47K miles so slowly searching around for replacement.

thanks
mark
BMW N54 RR500 - PRODUCT - HexonAutowerks.com
Old 08-07-2015, 09:01 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535i Msport

Subscribed. Thought only VTT and RB were the major players. Will be patiently waiting for some feedback. Good luck
Old 08-12-2015, 07:16 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Justin66mp
Subscribed. Thought only VTT and RB were the major players. Will be patiently waiting for some feedback. Good luck
Hexons are new to the N54 game so that makes sense, they have had success in the R35 GTR and BRZ/FT86 market up to this point. Their track record is short but strong with N54 kits. Everything is done in-house at Hexon which I really like, out sourcing has shown to cause some headaches for the other suppliers (and their customers).

PUR is also about to release a Stage 2 kit.

Evan
Old 08-12-2015, 10:43 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ucsbwsr
Hexons are new to the N54 game so that makes sense, they have had success in the R35 GTR and BRZ/FT86 market up to this point. Their track record is short but strong with N54 kits. Everything is done in-house at Hexon which I really like, out sourcing has shown to cause some headaches for the other suppliers (and their customers).

PUR is also about to release a Stage 2 kit.

Evan
I saw that man, after you posted I decided to do some research over on n54. Trying to gear myself up for the replacement even though I'm sitting at 35k miles. I dont push my car that hard and its got dr euros, also its a 2010. Hoping those things will get me to 100k before replacement bc I'm still totally lost after reading about RB and VTT failures, no warranties, bleeding oil, thrust fails. Its a very nerve racking process for the money you throw down for it.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:22 PM
Members

My Ride: 535

did u get the r550 or 500?

Originally Posted by Justin66mp
I saw that man, after you posted I decided to do some research over on n54. Trying to gear myself up for the replacement even though I'm sitting at 35k miles. I dont push my car that hard and its got dr euros, also its a 2010. Hoping those things will get me to 100k before replacement bc I'm still totally lost after reading about RB and VTT failures, no warranties, bleeding oil, thrust fails. Its a very nerve racking process for the money you throw down for it.
VTT is like 30-40 min from my house. I've never been there, though. If i was gonna get upgraded turbos i would probably have VTT do them. Just in case anything goes wrong, they can do install and uninstall for free. Because that seems to be the major part in getting warranty done on upgraded turbos, cost a lot of money to install and reinstall again. I would skip RB turbos all together now as i have heard of people getting 2 or maybe even 3 (not sure about 3, but its not just one person in that same boat) defective turbos in a row and they guy had to get a loan or something to install them over and over again.

i have 135k miles on stock turbos and they still seem to be working, clanking but working.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:55 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by seven11

VTT is like 30-40 min from my house. I've never been there, though. If i was gonna get upgraded turbos i would probably have VTT do them. Just in case anything goes wrong, they can do install and uninstall for free. Because that seems to be the major part in getting warranty done on upgraded turbos, cost a lot of money to install and reinstall again. I would skip RB turbos all together now as i have heard of people getting 2 or maybe even 3 (not sure about 3, but its not just one person in that same boat) defective turbos in a row and they guy had to get a loan or something to install them over and over again.

i have 135k miles on stock turbos and they still seem to be working, clanking but working.
lemme know if you end up getting VTT's man, bc im in the north bay and I kind of had the same mind set, if there were probs I could just show up there and deal with it in person. Also, waiting for booyaazaa to chime in. I saw a post he put up saying he was close to needing a replacement and wondering what he was gonna choose. Wish oem had a sweet stage 2 option
Old 08-13-2015, 07:17 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by seven11
VTT is like 30-40 min from my house. I've never been there, though. If i was gonna get upgraded turbos i would probably have VTT do them. Just in case anything goes wrong, they can do install and uninstall for free.
R550s

Install and Uninstall for FREE? Am I missing something? Who does turbo installs for free?
Old 08-14-2015, 12:05 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 530i

Oh man.... E61 and N54 engine... good things wont be available where i came from...

Quick Reply: Detailed Photos of my Hexon RR550s