E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Cutting out the Ski port

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 11:41 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cut out the ski pass and it made a huge difference. But, now the rear deck rattles alot only when the subwoofer is playing "high" notes. It does not rattle when the sub plays really deep low frequency bass.
Does anyone have any suggestions for preventing this? Besides dynamat and stuff like that.

It is one JL 8w7ae in a spec ported box.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 5series
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by DTXe60
I cut out the ski pass and it made a huge difference. But, now the rear deck rattles alot only when the subwoofer is playing "high" notes. It does not rattle when the sub plays really deep low frequency bass.
Does anyone have any suggestions for preventing this? Besides dynamat and stuff like that.

It is one JL 8w7ae in a spec ported box.
I wanna cut out a ski pass on mine too. I have a 12w7 in a sealed box facing the rear, which way is your sub facing? Got any pics of the cut-out? For the rattling I had the same issue, except my trunk was rattling alot in the rear decklid when it hit lower frequencies and I put fatmat everywhere besides the panel where the ski hole should be and the rattling stopped.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:03 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by bimmer530iguy
I wanna cut out a ski pass on mine too. I have a 12w7 in a sealed box facing the rear, which way is your sub facing? Got any pics of the cut-out? For the rattling I had the same issue, except my trunk was rattling alot in the rear decklid when it hit lower frequencies and I put fatmat everywhere besides the panel where the ski hole should be and the rattling stopped.
I don't have any pics of the cutout yet but will by tomorrow. The sub is facing the rear of the car right now, but I have tried positioning it facing forward which made the rattling worse.
Another question, does your w7 hit the higher frequency notes pretty well? Mine does not but I can't tell if its the sub/box or because the rattling overpowers the sound. Also what amp are you using to run it?
Old 05-07-2013, 02:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 5series

Originally Posted by DTXe60
I don't have any pics of the cutout yet but will by tomorrow. The sub is facing the rear of the car right now, but I have tried positioning it facing forward which made the rattling worse.
Another question, does your w7 hit the higher frequency notes pretty well? Mine does not but I can't tell if its the sub/box or because the rattling overpowers the sound. Also what amp are you using to run it?
It hits the higher frequencies well because I have a custom sealed box, but the lower frequencies really hit much better. I have a jl hd750 amp. I think its perferct for the 12w7 because it delivers a constant 750rms at any ohm. When I open the trunk from outside the bass is awesome, but since I don't have a cutout I only get about 30% of the bass inside the cabin, and I really want to get more or it defeats the purpose, I need to cut out a ski pass. How hard was it for you to do, did you take out the seats or did you just cut it with a dremel with everything on? I really need to do this, looking forward to your pics!
Old 05-16-2013, 09:44 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by bimmer530iguy
It hits the higher frequencies well because I have a custom sealed box, but the lower frequencies really hit much better. I have a jl hd750 amp. I think its perferct for the 12w7 because it delivers a constant 750rms at any ohm. When I open the trunk from outside the bass is awesome, but since I don't have a cutout I only get about 30% of the bass inside the cabin, and I really want to get more or it defeats the purpose, I need to cut out a ski pass. How hard was it for you to do, did you take out the seats or did you just cut it with a dremel with everything on? I really need to do this, looking forward to your pics!
I apologize for taking so long to upload these pics! But here they are. Keep in mind I cut out a relatively small hole in the ski pass thru because I wanted to see how much of a difference it made before I cut the plastic piece inside.
But since installing the sub in the trunk, I have been getting really bad trunk rattle (even at low volumes) I installed rubber grommets on the rear license plate but the rattle is now coming from the rear deck. Do you have this problem also? Anyone have any suggestions to prevent this besides dynamat?
Attached Thumbnails Cutting out the Ski port-sub.jpg   Cutting out the Ski port-photo-2.jpg   Cutting out the Ski port-photo-3.jpg   Cutting out the Ski port-photo-4.jpg  
Old 03-28-2015, 09:08 AM
New Members

My Ride: 13 X5 35i M-Sport (Sold) 535i M-Sport - (Sold) 07 530i Sport Gray - (Traded) 04 530i Sport Gray
Default E60 SKI Pass Cut out Specifics

Originally Posted by Anzafin
Here's the plastic cover.

1) Cut

2) Finalized (The rough edges behind are the edges of the actual backplate)

And here's the backplate that leads into the trunk.
1) Trunk side (Nevermind the yellow thing, you need to read the whole thread to understand )

2) Front side

Everything installed.

1) Trunk side

2) Cabin

- Antti -

Anzafin

Curious about the carpet side of trunk and hard plastic on inside - underneath the cut plastic panel that comes off.

How did you make your cut (to hard plastic and carpet panel) in place or did you take off/out the hard plastic (inside) and the carpet panel (trunk side)?

From your pics, it looks as though the entire back side of back seat (hard plastic and trunk carpet side) is out?? I'm just trying to find the procedures (process) to take these two (or one?) piece out. That means "3" cuts essentially (or 2) if these two pieces are one - that's the $4 question. Thanks for clarifying and very nice job btw...