E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Cutting out the Ski port

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 09:26 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530i

Hello people I need a bit of advice. I'm installing a 12" alpine type-r sub and a alpine mrp- m1000 amp along with Technic's PnP harness, i have no fold down seats nor the ski port, will the bass travel through to the cabin? Or will cutting the ski port make a real big difference in bass in the cabin? And how easy is it to cut out the ski port?

Thanks guys
Old 02-01-2011, 10:19 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

A ski port will make a big difference! I know because I was in the same situation; I was putting a 10" SW into the trunk along the Technic's harness.

It's very easy to cut a hole into the rear seat backrest. Actually you need to cut two, because there is the actual backplate that you have to go trough, and the another hole is needed to be cut into the plastic cover that locates behind the center armrest. You need just a Dremel or some similar tool.

- Antti -
Old 02-01-2011, 12:30 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Anzafin
A ski port will make a big difference! I know because I was in the same situation; I was putting a 10" SW into the trunk along the Technic's harness.

It's very easy to cut a hole into the rear seat backrest. Actually you need to cut two, because there is the actual backplate that you have to go trough, and the another hole is needed to be cut into the plastic cover that locates behind the center armrest. You need just a Dremel or some similar tool.

- Antti -

Any suggestions on the dimensions of the cut out? And is the a way u can show me your cut out please? From the cabin and from the trunk view?
Old 02-01-2011, 12:45 PM
Contributors

Here's the plastic cover.

1) Cut

2) Finalized (The rough edges behind are the edges of the actual backplate)

And here's the backplate that leads into the trunk.
1) Trunk side (Nevermind the yellow thing, you need to read the whole thread to understand )

2) Front side

Everything installed.

1) Trunk side

2) Cabin

- Antti -
Old 02-01-2011, 12:56 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

Does the back plate not have an outline on it already? I remember doing this on my e46 and the back steel plate had an outline on it (because ski-pass was an option) all I had to cut was a few weld spots.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:58 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by cleung
Does the back plate not have an outline on it already? I remember doing this on my e46 and the back steel plate had an outline on it (because ski-pass was an option) all I had to cut was a few weld spots.
At least in my car there wasn't. And instead of steel, the backplate in the E60 is just thick plastic.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:03 PM
Contributors

yea i also checked my e60 and theres no metal plate, just a thick plastic plate with no pre-cut marks for the ski pass.....anzafin where did you get that black rubber liner to cover the cut? looks very clean,
Old 02-01-2011, 01:06 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Sunny 530i
yea i also checked my e60 and theres no metal plate, just a thick plastic plate with no pre-cut marks for the ski pass.....anzafin where did you get that black rubber liner to cover the cut? looks very clean,
I bought it from a regular window/glass shop. It's just a U-profile rubber. Got it few feet, and it was only 3?.

- Antti -
Old 02-01-2011, 01:18 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Anzafin
I bought it from a regular window/glass shop. It's just a U-profile rubber. Got it few feet, and it was only 3?.

- Antti -

Awesome thanks, and one more thing, so you have to take seat out in order to cut the port out?
Old 02-01-2011, 01:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i mystic blue

yes cut that ski port out.! it makes a night and day diffrence. i roll with the arm rest down all the time. even with the arm rest up the bass is night and day. but with it down its a lil better then up.... also cut some holes in ur rear deck. thats thick metal and definalty blocks bass from crusing in. i cut about 3 6-7 inch squares in my rear deck and then dynatmiated around it. I orginally had my 2 10s firing threw the ski hole. in a sealed box. sounded tight and crisp. loud but still not bassy enuff for 1200 watts rms. so i got a ported box and flipped it around facing trunk. output was a lot better. more bass. not as clean as sealed but still very good. what ever u do dont cut the hole out then make a huge box and stick it back there and block the hole. it defeats the purpose. thats what im still working on coming up with a box deisng to meet airspace and allow that skiport to be open freely 3 pix are my setup, its rigged for now but sounds good the 2nd to last pic is a box idea that maintains a sealed box facing the tailights and allows bass to travel thru the middle into the ski port. the last pic is how my system looked orginally but the bass was horribleeeeee. because the skiport was not cut out and the beaty panels blocked the cabin even more!
Attached Thumbnails Cutting out the Ski port-006.jpg   Cutting out the Ski port-001.jpg   Cutting out the Ski port-002.jpg   Cutting out the Ski port-box.jpg   Cutting out the Ski port-138.jpg  

Cutting out the Ski port-136.jpg  

Quick Reply: Cutting out the Ski port