E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Custom door panels for my wagon

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 01:57 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: E61 with all the mods
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54
Default Custom door panels for my wagon

My interior started life as full "cream beige" ...it was a lot of beige, too much beige, so I have slowly changed parts out for oem black ones.

Most recently I acquired some panels from an M5 that was spec'd with the Dirac audio system which meant it has the cool silver speaker grills. My goal was to transfer my beige inserts into the black doors, the car could have been configured like this from the factory but it would of had black levers and airbag plugs which busy things up a bit IMO. To remedy this I kept my beige pieces intact to visually smooth things out.

Previously my decorative trim was sprayed with a metallic silver Plasti-Dip, the dip looked fine and was a nice option when considering factors like price and ease-of-application but I decided to replace it with some brushed aluminum 3M vinyl.

Here are some pics of the process,
Evan

Used doors arrived, I tried to get the full set but unfortunately the seller couldn't find the driver panel so I took the 3 and sourced an additional panel elsewhere.

Black vs Beige

I was hoping the inserts could be removed with unscrewing some hardware or simply popping them out, NOPE! The leather inserts were held in place with some plastic rivets and they needed to be ground down with a dremel.

Dremel doing work

Insert removed. The front doors had 25 rivets on each insert and the rears had 22!

I assembled some mounting hardware consisting of some screws and sealing washers, they worked very well. It was important that they insert was secure as both the airbag and speakers mount directly to the insert.

While the insert was out I cleaned the everything with some leather cleaner, a horse tail brush, and some towels.

Plasti Dip off

Vinyl on

Getting better at this

My favorite part of these custom panels, the Dirac speaker grills! I really like the contrast and the aluminum color matches other interior bits.

High performance grills! lol

BSW Stage 1 peaking through

Before

After

Rear assembled

Rear installed

My wagon originally had the sun shades.

Sun shade deleted! I never used these stupid things and viewed them just as another part that could (and did) break.

The black doors and carpet really make a big impact.

Surface details: vinyl, foam, and leather
Old 07-04-2015, 02:54 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2006
Engine: na

Not a fan of that vinyl but cool project nonetheless.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:33 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: e61 525i JPN winter/comfort

what colour were the trim piece originally? do you have the part number?
Old 07-07-2015, 02:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545 modded the F out

cool
Old 07-07-2015, 01:27 PM
New Members

My Ride: 525d M Sport
Model Year: 2004

Nice work.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:37 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

totally dig it!
Old 07-09-2015, 07:51 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jimmychef
what colour were the trim piece originally? do you have the part number?
It was originally Dark Poplar, this is the part number for the main dash trim: 51456970268
Old 07-13-2015, 05:25 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 AW N52 with sports package & premium package; natural brown interior MODs: Orion V2s 3000K H8 Yellow Fogs Matte Black Kidney Grills 20" Miro 111 Hankook V12 Tires H&R Sport Springs Special coding via Simon (dbl flash hazards, digital velocity, etc.) LED Side Markers from Trinity Autosports LED License Plate Lights from Trinity Autosports Carbon Delete BMC Air Filter RPI Scoop RPI GT Exhaust Future MODs: Mtech Kit KW Variant 2 Coilovers CIC Retrofit Upgrade Audio System

Awesome project. Love those grill covers.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:04 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by wtlb
Awesome project. Love those grill covers.
Grills are hands-down my favorite too!
Old 07-16-2015, 11:40 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 AW N52 with sports package & premium package; natural brown interior MODs: Orion V2s 3000K H8 Yellow Fogs Matte Black Kidney Grills 20" Miro 111 Hankook V12 Tires H&R Sport Springs Special coding via Simon (dbl flash hazards, digital velocity, etc.) LED Side Markers from Trinity Autosports LED License Plate Lights from Trinity Autosports Carbon Delete BMC Air Filter RPI Scoop RPI GT Exhaust Future MODs: Mtech Kit KW Variant 2 Coilovers CIC Retrofit Upgrade Audio System

Were the grills easy to install? Do the old ones just pop off and the new ones easily inserted?

Quick Reply: Custom door panels for my wagon