E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

A couple pics: Heavily Modified E60 and E61

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 01:29 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by texasmr2
May I ask what a RB turbo upgrade is, roller bearing, or do you mean a BB (ball bearing) upgrade? Been turbocharging since '92 and the cost vs the spool imo is not worth it. On another note have you looked into upgrading your auto transmission as it shifts faster than a manual, albeit I also love manual transmissions so I am just asking.

I am not knocking your choices and respect everyone's choices I am just curious.
RB turbo is a company that makes upgraded stock frame turbos for the N54 motor. (335i, 535i)
Old 01-25-2015, 07:49 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: E61 with all the mods
Engine: N54

May I ask what a RB turbo upgrade is, roller bearing, or do you mean a BB (ball bearing) upgrade? Been turbocharging since '92 and the cost vs the spool imo is not worth it. On another note have you looked into upgrading your auto transmission as it shifts faster than a manual, albeit I also love manual transmissions so I am just asking.

I am not knocking your choices and respect everyone's choices I am just curious.

No worries, happy to answer.

RB refers to Rob Beck (R Turbos, see here:
RB Turbo Upgrade for BMW 535i (Right & Left Hand Drive) - RBTurbo.com
...and check out YouTube if you want to see other N54 engines with RB turbos running Lamborghinis, GTRs, and other "fun" cars. Where I don't necessarily have a deep desire for new power, eventually my stock turbos will crap out and will need to be replaced, through the magic of friends and bro-deals I will be able to get a brand new pair of RBs for about the price of stock turbos.

I have attempted to replace my front turbo myself and it is no fun, I ended up waiving the white flag and took my car to VTTO for help. I have done 3 DP installations on my 535xi which is no joke but getting to the turbos (especially the front unit is a major pain. Since my water pump should implode any day I will have one of those on hand to get installed with the turbos.

Lastly, I want to my manual trans and supporting parts acquired to everything can be done at once, it is hard to justify such high labor costs but having the water pump and transmission done when the engine is dropped seems like a logical plan.

I have flushed the AT fluid and replaced the filter/pan, upgraded to the latest Sport AT software, and reset the adaptive functions multiple times, I still can't stand this transmission it is poorly mated with a FBO engine and isn't calibrated to work with all the awesome torque that is produced. I plan to purchase a Bavarian Technic cable to run some backend flashes, I heard that will help with my poor throttle response (I have a Sprint Booster and it only makes the issue worse).

I have done everything within reason to improve the performance of the 6AT, there are some other items which could be addressed but instead of putting more time and money into it, I will put it towards a manual. It is nice to pop off consistent 0-60 times under 4 seconds but few things bring me more pleasure than rowing through gears with a manual transmission. Also, most of the performance edge the AT has on the manual is with launches and I have noticed my drivetrain struggling with the thrust at times so I would like to minimize such abuse.

Hope this answers all the questions!
Evan
Old 01-25-2015, 10:46 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

Originally Posted by ucsbwsr

...and check out YouTube if you want to see other N54 engines with RB turbos running Lamborghinis, GTRs, and other "fun" cars. Where I don't necessarily have a deep desire for new power, eventually my stock turbos will crap out and will need to be replaced, through the magic of friends and bro-deals I will be able to get a brand new pair of RBs for about the price of stock turbos.

I have attempted to replace my front turbo myself and it is no fun, I ended up waiving the white flag and took my car to VTTO for help. I have done 3 DP installations on my 535xi which is no joke but getting to the turbos (especially the front unit is a major pain. Since my water pump should implode any day I will have one of those on hand to get installed with the turbos.

Lastly, I want to my manual trans and supporting parts acquired to everything can be done at once, it is hard to justify such high labor costs but having the water pump and transmission done when the engine is dropped seems like a logical plan.

I have flushed the AT fluid and replaced the filter/pan, upgraded to the latest Sport AT software, and reset the adaptive functions multiple times, I still can't stand this transmission it is poorly mated with a FBO engine and isn't calibrated to work with all the awesome torque that is produced. I plan to purchase a Bavarian Technic cable to run some backend flashes, I heard that will help with my poor throttle response (I have a Sprint Booster and it only makes the issue worse).

I have done everything within reason to improve the performance of the 6AT, there are some other items which could be addressed but instead of putting more time and money into it, I will put it towards a manual. It is nice to pop off consistent 0-60 times under 4 seconds but few things bring me more pleasure than rowing through gears with a manual transmission. Also, most of the performance edge the AT has on the manual is with launches and I have noticed my drivetrain struggling with the thrust at times so I would like to minimize such abuse.

Evan
Hey Evan the only real fix for the throttle response and shifting issues is to go with a flash tune vs piggyback. A few guys I know have been helping me with building a custom tune for my car to eliminate those issues.

Also I was just wondering who did your SAT update? My car didn't come with SAT so I was looking for someone to help me do the SAT flash on my car. Let me know.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:51 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Booyaazaa
Hey Evan the only real fix for the throttle response and shifting issues is to go with a flash tune vs piggyback. A few guys I know have been helping me with building a custom tune for my car to eliminate those issues.

Also I was just wondering who did your SAT update? My car didn't come with SAT so I was looking for someone to help me do the SAT flash on my car. Let me know.
I plan on running a backend flash stacked with my JB4, I believe the backend flash will handle the throttle but I will maintain some of the benefits of the JB4.

I performed the SAT flash myself. You are in the Bay Area correct? Let me know if I can be of service.

Evan
Old 01-26-2015, 06:30 PM
New Members

My Ride: Stock 2004 BMW 525i
Smile

Evan

Well said sir and although I still have questions regarding turbo upgrades this thread is all about appreciating your car.

Regards.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:53 PM
Members
Senior Members

Well said sir and although I still have questions regarding turbo upgrades this thread is all about appreciating your car.

Regards.
I am continually learning about the turbos but if you have more questions please feel free to PM me.

Evan

We need some more rain in CA!

Old 01-26-2015, 10:24 PM
New Members

My Ride: '07 530xi

Pretty cars in this thread.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:54 AM
New Members

My Ride: Stock 2004 BMW 525i
Smile

I am continually learning about the turbos but if you have more questions please feel free to PM me.

Evan

We need some more rain in CA!

Great picture! I sent you a rather lengthy PM about turbocharging from my experience and hopefully I shared useable information.

Regards,
Gregg
Old 01-27-2015, 03:50 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 530d M Sport

Thanks. Both headlights are custom, as in not "off the shelf". The units on the 550i were purchased through someone who used to do headlight modifications as a business, I say used to because everyone I talk to says he moved down to southern California and kind of disappeared but I don't know the whole story.

I personally performed the headlight modifications on my wagon. I can see why other headlight retrofitters charge so much money to work on these headlights, the E60 units are a pain to open and reseal.

Evan
Are you able to provide any links to the bulbs needed for this.. ie angel eyes. Love the look of these. R they lci? Awesome looking 5ers
Old 01-27-2015, 04:22 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Chalkyuk
Are you able to provide any links to the bulbs needed for this.. ie angel eyes. Love the look of these. R they lci? Awesome looking 5ers
Both are lci. My wagon has Orion V2 and sedan has Orion V4. Angel Eyes are by Umnitza.

Quick Reply: A couple pics: Heavily Modified E60 and E61