E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

CKS Coilover review E60/61

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 01:45 PM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: E39 M5
Model Year: 2003
Default CKS Coilover review E60/61

The group buy thread was here.....

https://5series.net/forums/group-buy...e60-xi-127983/

Member killercalf was part of the group buy. I installed the kit for him. I have since purchased the car from him. I posted this in the above linked thread, thought it would be useful information for the masses......

I would like to update this thread.....

I am the person who installed killercalf's CKS coil overs on to his car for him. (which was a complete train wreck) I have since purchased the car from him with the CKS coil overs installed. I purchased the car from him in August of 2014. I will soon be removing the CKS coil overs because they are complete junk. Let me elaborate. I installed the kit somewhere around 9/1/13.

1. The kit came with the wrong parts. The replacement parts were wrong as well. I finally had to physically take measurements and send them to "John" for them to MAKE the right parts. The front lower shock mounts and the sway bar trailer arms were completely wrong for the car. I would think this would be taken care of before SELLING the kit to people. Had I been an install shop, it would have cost Killercalf a ton of money considering how many times I had to take parts on and off the car.

2. There were absolutely no instructions of any kind for installing the kit. I know, installing a coil over kit is not rocket science, but as to what exactly was needed was a mystery. Killercalf had purchased WAY too many extra parts from BMW for the install, because it was not known what would be needed.

3. We had asked John for initial set up measurements for the shocks, then could fine tune it from there. His measurements were WAY OFF. I spent way too much time taking everything apart and putting it back together based on his measurements. An "I don't know" would have been better.

4. The build quality of the kit is TERRIBLE. The adjustable links for the rear suspension height sensors rusted and broke within 6 months of the install. Killercalf had to have the car towed to the dealership and have the stock links put back on in order to drive it.

5. Along with the links rusting and breaking, the rest of the kit is rusted and falling apart. The front sway bar links are completely covered in rust. The front shock bodies and adjustable collars are totally rusted and frozen. I think the rear shocks are shot due to them starting to bottom out on hard bumps. I attempted to adjust the rear shocks but can't because they are rusted and frozen.

We contacted John about the issue, but he would not work with us. I don't see how a kit can be completely rusted and no longer adjustable after 1.5 years of use. I have used 3 sets of BC Racing Coilovers on some of my other BMW's without an issue, and they are considerably cheaper than CKS kits.

I will be removing these for something a little more reliable.

JUNK.
Old 12-19-2014, 03:19 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

ouch!
Old 12-19-2014, 07:38 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2006
Engine: na

Thanks for posting this review. If theyre serious about customer support theyll fix major problems like youve experienced. Good luck with the fixes
Old 12-19-2014, 10:38 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

Wow that is not good. I almost bought a set however my buddy hooked me up with some KW V2's instead. Glad I went with a proven coilover.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:30 PM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: E39 M5
Model Year: 2003

Originally Posted by BesE60
Thanks for posting this review. If theyre serious about customer support theyll fix major problems like youve experienced. Good luck with the fixes
We tried contacting John with CKS. He had no interest in making it right. Apparently they do not stand behind their product.
Old 12-26-2014, 07:52 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535
Model Year: 2008

i always say that you're better off buying used brand name coilovers than buying new no name ones, if you're trying to save some coin