E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Chadillac2000's 2008 BMW 535i Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 08:24 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: E61 with all the mods
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Awesome build so far and I am happy the intercooler DIY came in handy. Much easier than the DP install! I had to reinstall the stock DPs for a warranty repair that was all-for-not and then had the pleasure of reinstalling the aftermarket DPs. lol I ended up taking my DPs out again for a blown turbo. ...at least it is easier the 4th time.

May I thank you for documenting your build with great photos, it truly is appreciated; nice lighting, creative angles, it makes all the difference.

As much as I appreciate aesthetics it is nice to see you getting down to business with the important mods AND installing them yourself.

Subscribed,
Evan
Old 03-25-2015, 08:53 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i

Wow, great job! Your car looks awesome!
Old 03-26-2015, 09:20 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 535xi

I have a 535 also, how much did you spend on the DP's?
Old 03-26-2015, 09:34 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by ucsbwsr
Awesome build so far and I am happy the intercooler DIY came in handy. Much easier than the DP install! I had to reinstall the stock DPs for a warranty repair that was all-for-not and then had the pleasure of reinstalling the aftermarket DPs. lol I ended up taking my DPs out again for a blown turbo. ...at least it is easier the 4th time.

May I thank you for documenting your build with great photos, it truly is appreciated; nice lighting, creative angles, it makes all the difference.

As much as I appreciate aesthetics it is nice to see you getting down to business with the important mods AND installing them yourself.

Subscribed,
Evan
Thanks bud! Thanks for making things a little easier on me with your original write up. I went back last night and removed the front bumper again, got rid of my tie wrap jungle gym, purchased some HUGE zip ties so I only have one on each side now. I was also able to get the FMIC sitting up about an inch higher and straightened as my silicon hoses were keeping it from sitting flush where I wanted it to. Looks great in my OEM bumper and I'm already feeling the performance benefits running E85 on Map 5.

Originally Posted by jamo.w
I have a 535 also, how much did you spend on the DP's?
I believe you have to email VRSF directly and they are around $400.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:14 PM
New Members

My Ride: e60 535xi Prem. Package
Model Year: 2008 535xi

Awesome Build thread
Old 03-26-2015, 08:06 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: E61 with all the mods
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by chadillac2000
Thanks bud! Thanks for making things a little easier on me with your original write up. I went back last night and removed the front bumper again, got rid of my tie wrap jungle gym, purchased some HUGE zip ties so I only have one on each side now. I was also able to get the FMIC sitting up about an inch higher and straightened as my silicon hoses were keeping it from sitting flush where I wanted it to. Looks great in my OEM bumper and I'm already feeling the performance benefits running E85 on Map 5.

Huge zip ties are legit! I am very pleased with how stable the setup is (and easy to install) others who followed in my footsteps can probably attest ....assuming their zip ties are big enough! Not only do you get the performance but also the piece of mind knowing your systems runs cooler.

I believe you have to email VRSF directly and they are around $400.
That is a great price for E6X DPs, although I haven't done any research myself, the design looks a little interesting with the chunk that is cut out of the rear? DP, if it works it works. I understand how little room there is on these cars.

Keep it up!
Evan
Old 03-27-2015, 09:02 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by ucsbwsr
That is a great price for E6X DPs, although I haven't done any research myself, the design looks a little interesting with the chunk that is cut out of the rear? DP, if it works it works. I understand how little room there is on these cars.

Keep it up!
Evan
I didn't know it at the time that I ordered, but the VRSF downpipes are essentially the same design as the Dr. Euro downpipes at about half the cost.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:24 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2005

Chad - nice car and nice build so far, so what's next on your list?
Old 03-27-2015, 12:14 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by Boost7
Chad - nice car and nice build so far, so what's next on your list?
Just installed the Fuel-It! Stage 2 LPFP upgrade today on my day off. I'll be adding pictures later tonight or tomorrow of the install. Everything went very smoothly.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:32 PM
New Members

After 130,000 miles of use without replacement, my logs verified that my LPFP was on its way out. Lucky for us E60 folks, we have Fuel-It! to thank for this awesome kit. I made my order and received everything two days later. $780 + $30 shipping for the kit (they throw in an ethanol tester and lock ring tool for free) and $300 deposit that i'll be refunded once my core makes its way back to Fuel-It! so $510 minus the shipping costs of my stock LPFP assembly for this entire package.

I'll say this before I get started, this was one of the most enjoyable installs I've ever had and I've wrenched on a lot of different vehicles. Simple, straightforward and with the two existing videos that Fuel-It! provides on their website, everything is pretty much self explanatory.

I started the install around noon on Friday, took my time, enjoyed a coffee intermittently while stepping out to get some fresh air and escape the gas fumes, and started the car with the Fuel-It! gear fully installed at 2pm. No snags.

Here's how it went down - Backseat removed with Youtube videos cued:

Liner pulled back and bolts removed to access fuel pump area:

The video advised to remove the stubbon rubber ring to get the liner out of the way, but I just used a bungee cord to secure it out of the way:

After following the advice of the Fuel-It! video, this power clip to the fuel pump came out easily:

The Fuel-It! lock ring tool and some penetrant to spray on the locking rings, which I let sit for about 5-10 minutes while I was preparing other stuff:

The combination of penetrant and the tool made light work of the locking rings. Both came off with ease:

The OEM fuel filter on the passenger side pulled up and out of the tank to access the attachments. The video breaks down how to remove each of the four connections I needed to remove:

Once everything is removed, the fuel pump on the driver's side can be pulled out so we can put in the new Fuel-It! unit:

At this point, the OEM pump assembly is removed from the car. Only the original filter assembly remains:

Here's a comparison of the two fuel pump assemblies, barely any differences with the OEM unit on top and the new Fuel-It! unit on the bottom:

Here's a mock up of where the new Fuel-It! unit will sit:

I took the advice of another thread I read and wrapped an old clothes hanger around the wiring of the new fuel pump assembly so I could easily route them over the hump of the middle of the car:

Got it in a matter of seconds:

Pulling the wires through to the passenger side opening so we can reattach the fuel filter assembly:

Broke back out the locking ring tool and cleaned everything up to try and avoid any long term gas smells in the cabin:

Seat reinstalled:

And with the dog cover over my back seats, who would suspect anything. "Who was speeding officer? Us?"

Quick Reply: Chadillac2000's 2008 BMW 535i Build Thread