E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Best aftermarket product for lci halogen AE's (excluding orions)

Old 10-27-2014, 08:03 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 525i 6MT

Originally Posted by Booyaazaa
Bill, don't you have Bi-Xenon headlights?
No, wish I have lci bi xenon.
I did a Pre lci halogen to the new lci halogen swap with a retrofit cable Simon made. Been using the original Oem look for awhile but I thonk I want to change to match the fogs. Was hoping for a color xhanging option from 4300k to 6k, that'd be awesome!
Old 10-28-2014, 07:31 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

Originally Posted by Bill109
No, wish I have lci bi xenon.
I did a Pre lci halogen to the new lci halogen swap with a retrofit cable Simon made. Been using the original Oem look for awhile but I thonk I want to change to match the fogs. Was hoping for a color xhanging option from 4300k to 6k, that'd be awesome!
Oh I see. Yeah you have to deal with that funky halogen AE bulb. Hopefully Matt or Tim will let you know what's up with their stock.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:53 AM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: M5
Model Year: 2008

Bill, call us, let's give you a discount a) for being a long time customer and b) for being a good test sport.

These will retail for $129, only 2 sets, $80 shipped.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:13 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by umnitza
Bill, call us, let's give you a discount a) for being a long time customer and b) for being a good test sport.

These will retail for $129, only 2 sets, $80 shipped.
Yes! Save me a set I'll call you tomorrow during business hours!
Old 10-29-2014, 10:25 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i xdrive
Model Year: 2010

Skrelnik, HID are a bad (horrible actually) idea for H8 based kits. They will yellow the fiber optics badly over a very short period of time.

Here's the LCI Halogen Upgrade
Umnitza: Can you please elaborate on what you are stating above? My factory installed AE's are Philips H8 12v 35w and I THINK rated at 4,300K. I purchased the same exact halogen bulb, but rated at 5,000k. So why is my new bulb classified as HID but is the same exact bulb, only rated at a lower output, as the OEM bulb?

The bulb in your reply only had lci halogen with a picture. What kind of bulb is that? Curious to see where you are going with this...

Thanks,
Skrelnik
Old 10-29-2014, 11:06 AM
New Members

My Ride: Alpine White 550i M Sport

Originally Posted by skrelnik
My factory installed AE's are Philips H8 12v 35w and I THINK rated at 4,300K. I purchased the same exact halogen bulb, but rated at 5,000k. So why is my new bulb classified as HID but is the same exact bulb, only rated at a lower output, as the OEM bulb?
If you bought a halogen then its not "classified" as a HID bulb. It's still a halogen. HID or xenon(if using xenon gas) bulb that uses a gas/arc to create light unlike a halogen that utilizes a filament. These will also require a ballast or igniter in order to operate. They do however require less power to operate than a typical halogen bulb. Unfortunately, a HID emits too much heat for the AEs and will essentially burn them and yellow the material. LED is lower heat and lower power consumption. However LED will need a heatsink to draw heat away from the diode in order to keep it efficient and retain functioning life.

If you guys are talking about replacing the pre LCI headlamps (I'm still new but have some knowledge of HID/Bi-xenon retrofits etc) , then take what you will from my info.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:50 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Bill109
Yes! Save me a set I'll call you tomorrow during business hours!
Done Give us a call. set saved.

Originally Posted by skrelnik
Umnitza: Can you please elaborate on what you are stating above? My factory installed AE's are Philips H8 12v 35w and I THINK rated at 4,300K. I purchased the same exact halogen bulb, but rated at 5,000k. So why is my new bulb classified as HID but is the same exact bulb, only rated at a lower output, as the OEM bulb?

The bulb in your reply only had lci halogen with a picture. What kind of bulb is that? Curious to see where you are going with this...

Thanks,
Skrelnik
If you purchased a "halogen" bulb and they aren't HID, then you should be ok - to some degree. The reality has been present since 2001 when BMW first introduced the halogen powered angel eyes. The reality? Well, halogen bulbs emit a lot of heat, as a result they burn the ends of the fiber optics. This is why some people who get really bright LED bulbs and HID bulbs report less than optimal output, you cant send a lot of light through a fiber optic with burnt ends.

Originally Posted by BrandonSS
If you bought a halogen then its not "classified" as a HID bulb. It's still a halogen. HID or xenon(if using xenon gas) bulb that uses a gas/arc to create light unlike a halogen that utilizes a filament. These will also require a ballast or igniter in order to operate. They do however require less power to operate than a typical halogen bulb. Unfortunately, a HID emits too much heat for the AEs and will essentially burn them and yellow the material. LED is lower heat and lower power consumption. However LED will need a heatsink to draw heat away from the diode in order to keep it efficient and retain functioning life.

If you guys are talking about replacing the pre LCI headlamps (I'm still new but have some knowledge of HID/Bi-xenon retrofits etc) , then take what you will from my info.
Correct.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:33 PM
Members
Senior Members

I'll post some pics once umnitza's new product is Installed. USPS says it will be here on Monday... Hopefully these will be a good product for us Lci halogen cars.
Old 11-12-2014, 04:17 PM
Former Vendor

got pics?
Old 11-23-2014, 04:36 PM
Members
Senior Members

got pics?
yes i do, had the product on the car for a few weeks now. not as bright as the oem since the yellow rings stand out more. however this was expected.
have some pics, just need to upload them. i will snap a few dusk/overcast shots too, in attempts to truly show them off.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best aftermarket product for lci halogen AE's (excluding orions)