E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Base stereo upgrade questions!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 06:26 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550i
Default Base stereo upgrade questions!

Hey guys, i recently became the owner of a 2006 550i with the base audio system (no aux, no usb, no nav and shit speakers lol) and i am looking to upgrade the system so i can connect a external audio device whether its through a aux cable or iPhone cable, i want to upgrade my head unit so i can have nav(if its possible) and i would like to upgrade the speaker system with aftermarket amp/speaker combo. I've been doing some research on this forum and haven't really found much as far as my questions go so that is the reason i am starting this thread so sorry if the answers are already out there I'm just curious if anyone else has done these upgrades to their system or if its even possible at all?? thanks for the help!
Old 12-18-2014, 12:14 AM
New Members

My Ride: BMW E60 3.0d

Hi, to have aux, usb and nav, your best bet is to upgrade to oem CCC, CIC or if you have the time/budget NBT assuming you don't have any of the above already. For my car, i had upgraded to CCC system couple of years ago which gave me satnav and aux (usb if you want too). But now am looking at the NBT as its the newest and has tons of new cool features.

As for upgrading you amp/speakers, there are plenty of info in this and other forums. Have a look at this one for amp/sub:

https://5series.net/forums/e60-parts...pgrade-107355/
Old 12-19-2014, 10:52 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by CALIC
Hi, to have aux, usb and nav, your best bet is to upgrade to oem CCC, CIC or if you have the time/budget NBT assuming you don't have any of the above already. For my car, i had upgraded to CCC system couple of years ago which gave me satnav and aux (usb if you want too). But now am looking at the NBT as its the newest and has tons of new cool features.

As for upgrading you amp/speakers, there are plenty of info in this and other forums. Have a look at this one for amp/sub:

https://5series.net/forums/e60-parts...pgrade-107355/
thanks for the info! I was sort of confused seeing CCC, CIC, and NBT in the posts I was reading lol but now that all that info is cleared up I guess I just need to save up 3k for that
...great info on speaker and sub upgrades! Thanks again!
Old 12-20-2014, 01:27 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by newcastle90
thanks for the info! I was sort of confused seeing CCC, CIC, and NBT in the posts I was reading lol but now that all that info is cleared up I guess I just need to save up 3k for that
...great info on speaker and sub upgrades! Thanks again!
You welcome. I dont know what you have in mind but 3k is allot of money to install any of the systems considering the price of a used NBT on ebay is around 700-900 USD.

I had my CCC done for less than $700 and that was about 2 years ago.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:13 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by CALIC
You welcome. I dont know what you have in mind but 3k is allot of money to install any of the systems considering the price of a used NBT on ebay is around 700-900 USD.

I had my CCC done for less than $700 and that was about 2 years ago.
Yeah I'm just basing that price off of the quote for a cic headunit with nav and voice control from BMW Retrofits Navigation NBT CIC Bluetooth Combox Apps eNBT plus the speaker system upgrade. Where did you have yours coded for your car?
Old 12-21-2014, 03:23 AM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 535XI
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by newcastle90
Hey guys, i recently became the owner of a 2006 550i with the base audio system (no aux, no usb, no nav and shit speakers lol) and i am looking to upgrade the system so i can connect a external audio device whether its through a aux cable or iPhone cable, i want to upgrade my head unit so i can have nav(if its possible) and i would like to upgrade the speaker system with aftermarket amp/speaker combo. I've been doing some research on this forum and haven't really found much as far as my questions go so that is the reason i am starting this thread so sorry if the answers are already out there I'm just curious if anyone else has done these upgrades to their system or if its even possible at all?? thanks for the help!
Ccc for sale $650 or best offer..
Old 12-24-2014, 02:25 AM
New Members

I took my car to a local guy that did the install and the coding for about $200 which was a bargain considering the time it took to install and programme which was about 3 hours. I would of done the install my self but i didn't have the time. If you can install the system your self and get some1 to code it for you, you will save allot of money. There are plenty of info in this forum regarding the installation of the ccc and cic. Good luck!
Old 01-02-2015, 11:04 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 530xi w m5 tech kit, 2007 Mercedes e63 AMG, 2005 ford expedition

U can also go with a dynavin unit which gives u larger screen bt streaming ,rear camera , Navi and let's u play movies but some of the dynavin e60 models seem to b defective like mine *( waiting on my unit to get back from dynavin headquarters in Germany but I believe dynavin resolved these issues with the dynavin e60 units . there's also copy Kat system that seem to b pretty reliable
Old 01-02-2015, 01:41 PM
New Members

My Ride: Au

On my car I did the OEM CIC retrofit to replace the CCC crap. That solved the poor interface. To solve the poor speakers, I added in an aftermarket amp and speakers using a LC7i line converter. The setup is as follows:

Front Speakers: Morel Virtus 402
Rear Speakers: Morel Integra 402
Under Sear Sub: Earthquake SWS-8
Line Converter: Audio Control LC7i
Amplifier: JL XD600/6v2

I also plan to do the Combox retrofit to get streaming Bluetooth audio from my Galaxy S5.