E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Balbs' CIC Retrofit w\Combox +6NR, PnP

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 11:16 AM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Thanks guys! nelson29 is the hero here. I'm merely mirroring his retrofit log.

Over this longer Memorial Day weekend, I hope to investigate how to tear the center arm rest area apart and enlarge the whole where the new iDrive controller will go on. I'll be using pclausen's method here:

https://5series.net/forums/topic/994...5#entry1207895

Also I want to figure out how to take the backseat apart so that I can run cables. I'm planning on using RootKit's method here. Again...from Nelson's log:

https://5series.net/forums/topic/994.../page__st__615

Hopefully, I can run the GPS antenna extension (came with kit) and the USB cable to the center arm rest area. I hope that only takes me one day.

For me the rear seat removal could be the hardest thing since I've never done it before. I've changed my dash trim and Di-noc vinyled my front dash plastics so I already know how to open that area up.

In the meantime, I ordered more 3M 1080 CF vinyl so that I can wrap the new pieces that came with the kit.

Also, I ordered a Specdock for my center ashtray area for my iPhone. I don't want to bother with placing my phone in the arm rest so I figure the specdock will be give me easier access to my phone and cleaner wiring.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:25 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i Silver Gray/ Gray Leather. SP,PP

I installed my gps antenna inside the dash by the speedometer.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak

You are aware that the woofer mod is not a good one. The right way to do this is to move to a CIC Hi-Fi amp or to buy a 6 channel amp or 4 channel amp and use the original Hi-Fi amp for the fronts.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:47 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by nelson29
I installed my gps antenna inside the dash by the speedometer.
So did you relocate the original GPS antenna? Where is it and what does it look like? Member umnichris bought another one and installed it in the dash as well.

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda
You are aware that the woofer mod is not a good one. The right way to do this is to move to a CIC Hi-Fi amp or to buy a 6 channel amp or 4 channel amp and use the original Hi-Fi amp for the fronts.
Ayy...crap...another mod... Yeah I figure that work-around is just that...relatively weak work-around. I eventually want to upgrade the sound and want use a JBL MS-8 and rainbow speakers.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 530i Silver Gray/ Gray Leather. SP,PP

I'm like you, I didn't have Nav so I never had the OEM antenna.

Regarding the sound upgrade, do it now while you doing this. MS-8 are dirt cheap now. Just upgrade the fronts with underseat woofers and add a center channel.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:11 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 M5
Model Year: 2010
Engine: S85

So much info!!! So is upgrading your sound a must when you are retrofitting CIC? Worth it? I'm not a huge audio guy, I listen to my ipod all the time but never had a need to upgrade from stock.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:13 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by nelson29
I'm like you, I didn't have Nav so I never had the OEM antenna.

Regarding the sound upgrade, do it now while you doing this. MS-8 are dirt cheap now. Just upgrade the fronts with underseat woofers and add a center channel.
Really, I thought I had the GPS antenna already since my car originally came with BMW assist. Where can I go check on that? Do you have a part number?

I don't have the funds right now for the audio update. Hopefully it's a winter holiday project...However, I guess I might as well run extra speaker wires to the rear amp (JBL MS-8). How many speaker pairs should I run? Or do I use Technic's harness and use the existing speaker wires that are run already?
Old 05-21-2012, 10:43 PM
Contributors

BTW, is this the correct part number for the CIC hi-fi amplifier?

Old 05-22-2012, 01:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak

I have an E60 CIC Hi-Fi amp for sale. I had two and Technic made a pnp cable for the other guy, so I'm sure he'll make one for you too. The amp I have for sale is sitting in the US too with my cousin, so no expensive shipping too.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:35 PM
Contributors

Does Technic's PnP cable go in the front with the CIC or in the trunk to convert non-CIC amp input to CIC amp input?

Quick Reply: Balbs' CIC Retrofit w\Combox +6NR, PnP