E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

AR DESIGN DOWNPIPES

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 09:16 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys so most of you know im building my 2008 535i, i recently got my downpipes from AR designs and im having big trouble installing them. My stock ones came out easy. The shop i took my car to is a friends shop and we got the stock downpipes off easy. But for some reason the new ones from AR do not fit well spent the morning till afternoon trying to finesse the dps in but it wouldnt go. we called AR and they said "oh yeah just put/mount both of them in at once and they will fit." thats not the case. Has anyone had similar problems? any fitment advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mahalo guys
Puna
Old 12-14-2011, 10:20 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by stylin8o8
Hey guys so most of you know im building my 2008 535i, i recently got my downpipes from AR designs and im having big trouble installing them. My stock ones came out easy. The shop i took my car to is a friends shop and we got the stock downpipes off easy. But for some reason the new ones from AR do not fit well spent the morning till afternoon trying to finesse the dps in but it wouldnt go. we called AR and they said "oh yeah just put/mount both of them in at once and they will fit." thats not the case. Has anyone had similar problems? any fitment advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mahalo guys
Puna
what up buddy, do you have a good muffler shop out there that does good customization?
Old 12-14-2011, 10:22 AM
Senior Members

hey man! no unfortunately we dont =(. if we do i dont know about it and its probably in some guys garage hidden somewhere.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:14 AM
Senior Members

I had my XI done 4 months ago and OMG.. I know the guys at the shop and they HATED me. It was one of the worst jobs they had to do ever. Its the way there placed, you need a REAL good shop with a experienced guy to have them in. I had a BMW master tech for 10 years was having a lot of trouble installing them.

Its just a tough job. AND Don't think they'll ever come out without breaking them because they wont! Impossible! LOL Good luck!
Old 12-14-2011, 11:56 AM
Senior Members

yeah same with my guys. my shop is a pretty solid shop and they do excellent work as well. they got one installed but the other one is giving them problems. My mechanic is really good and hes just short of dropping my frame to get more room to install.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:40 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2012 535i M-Sport

Have you tried contacting AR Design? They are really great guys, I was on the phone with them earlier and they really take time to answer questions.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:35 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Yikes... I have a set in a box waiting to go in. I was thinking of doing it in my home garage .
Think I'm stuck doing it myself no matter how hard it is. I can't imagin anyone in my town has done this.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:50 PM
Senior Members

Ok guys got my downpipes installed and the weirdest thing is happening. I'm getting white smoke out of the back of my tailpipes. Anything I should know?
Old 12-14-2011, 10:50 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 535i Alpine white Premium PKG -Two tone cream/beige Dakota leather seat trim -Universal garage door opener -Auto-dimming pwr folding exterior mirrors -Auto-dimming rearview mirror -Illum inner door handles -Illum door storage bins -Front footwell lighting -Rear entry/exit lighting -Additional trunk lighting -LED exterior ground lighting -High Definition Radio -Heated Front Seats DVD-Based Navigation System -Controller w/voice command system -Expanded iDrive system -Real time traffic info

Originally Posted by stylin8o8

Mahalo guys
Puna
I've seen this same issue a few times with other members or other forums, can't remember. But I do remember that all of them said what AR says about putting them both in at the same time is how they did it. Perhaps this would be a good time to get some pics or video for other members tackling this nightmare... Good luck.

EDIT: Looks like you've got them in already. Posted exact same time lol So what ended up being the trick?
Old 12-15-2011, 07:19 PM
Senior Members

They got it in by chance haha got tired let the pipes drop a little then when they pushed it back up it fit right in=)... lucky chance.

Can anyone please help me? Light grey smoke out the back of my exhaust my friends said when they did that to their n54s and no light grey smoke. Some of friends said it might be my turbos seals.... I cant drive my car cuzz it smokes out big time.

Quick Reply: AR DESIGN DOWNPIPES