E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Airplay Air Enabler Vs. Dension 500

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 09:12 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2005
Default Airplay Air Enabler Vs. Dension 500

Hi Guys,

For a while I thought that getting the Dension was the way to go until I saw the other day that someone was selling an Air Enabller on this board. I had never heard of it.

I see now I can install a simple aux cable, get the car coded,, plug in the Air enabler and I can wireless have music streamed from the iPhone to the car.

Downside is no i drive functionality, and the cord won't charge.

But I was thinking that that if it has AirPlay the only cord I need is the charging cable since it won't need the aux cable directly plugged in to the iPhone.

I have read the soudn quality is great with the AirEnabler.

At about 25 bucks for a cable, 80 bucks for the Air Enabler and whatever it costs for myself to learn to code vs paying 100 bucks to a local guy I know to code that seems like a decent deal for iPhone integration.

I would like to learn how to add/hide a cigarette charger somewhere in the dash to allow a seamless look for the cable if possible.

What are your thoughts on this method vs Dension? Do you think it is worth 300 bucks more for idrive integration?
Old 04-16-2015, 12:22 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i sport, stick, L7, sat, nav. Charcoal/ runflat/ cdv delete. Suede headliner/ trunk, 3 way front speakers, four 8" subs in rear shelf, ACM, iPod dock in ash tray using gateway 500 with MP3 text and video on screen, MRTM aluminum pedals/ door pins, 10 farad cap, sound processor, line conditioner, 2 amps ( 4x100 and 2x200)

The Dension iPod adaptor ( or SA6FL ) plus the Tune2Air will give you wireless audio plus iDrive integration. Best suited for the Apple menu structure but also works with the Android. I get text and track up down functionality with an Android and full control with an iPhone.

The cost benefit is up to you but this is how I do it for clients ( some of whom already have the factory iPod adaptor or Dension adaptor installed )

-Michael
Attached Thumbnails Airplay Air Enabler Vs. Dension 500-img_0664.jpg   Airplay Air Enabler Vs. Dension 500-img_0669.jpg  
Old 04-16-2015, 03:16 PM
New Members

With the tune to air you can't charge the phone right? Because you have the transmitter on the bottom?
Old 04-16-2015, 03:21 PM
New Members

What is the least expensive way to get audio from the iphone and charge it?

My 2005 Business has no aux, no usb, no nothing.

I don't want one of those corded fm transmitter things since none of the reviews of any seem promising.
Old 04-17-2015, 01:48 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 530i, Jet Black, Tan, Premium, Steptronic

Originally Posted by shervinj
What is the least expensive way to get audio from the iphone and charge it?

My 2005 Business has no aux, no usb, no nothing.

I don't want one of those corded fm transmitter things since none of the reviews of any seem promising.
Install an AUX-input port.

Buy a bluetooth transmitter and connect it to the AUX port.

You can do the work and coding yourself for about $100.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:00 AM
New Members

Thanks Txag_530i.

I have another question.

Essentially I will always have two cords running into the phone if I used only the Aux jack. One for audio. One for charing.

Is there a cord where it only plus into the lighting port but it terminates on the other end with a USB port to charge and a headphone/aux for sound.

Something like this but only have the lighting on one end.
Amazon.com : BMW & MINI Cooper Y cable iPod iPhone 5 5S 5C iPad Lightning Cable cord to USB & 3.5mm AUX Cable adapter Lead Wire : Automotive Electronic Security Products : Car Electronics Amazon.com : BMW & MINI Cooper Y cable iPod iPhone 5 5S 5C iPad Lightning Cable cord to USB & 3.5mm AUX Cable adapter Lead Wire : Automotive Electronic Security Products : Car Electronics
Old 04-20-2015, 07:01 AM
New Members

What is an example of a Bluetooth transmitter that works for this? Will it connect to my native BMW phone interface and the transmitter at the same time?

What about what everone says about how airplay allows even better audio quality because it isn't compressed

Originally Posted by txag_530i
Install an AUX-input port.

Buy a bluetooth transmitter and connect it to the AUX port.

You can do the work and coding yourself for about $100.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:59 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 530i, Jet Black, Tan, Premium, Steptronic

Thanks Txag_530i.

I have another question.

Essentially I will always have two cords running into the phone if I used only the Aux jack. One for audio. One for charing.

Is there a cord where it only plus into the lighting port but it terminates on the other end with a USB port to charge and a headphone/aux for sound.
I am unaware of any Lightning cable that provides charging and audio out. I have an old 30-pin to USB/audio out cable into which I plug in a Lightning to 30-pin adapter.

What is an example of a Bluetooth transmitter that works for this? Will it connect to my native BMW phone interface and the transmitter at the same time?

What about what everone says about how airplay allows even better audio quality because it isn't compressed
I use an interface like this:

Amazon.com: Okra Portable 2.1 Bluetooth Stereo Receiver for All 3.5mm Audio-in Speaker for Car Music, Headphones, Home Stereo - (Retail Packaging): Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: Okra Portable 2.1 Bluetooth Stereo Receiver for All 3.5mm Audio-in Speaker for Car Music, Headphones, Home Stereo - (Retail Packaging): Cell Phones & Accessories

Yes, I can simultaneously connect to the car's hands-free phone system and the audio system.

The sound quality is pretty decent, although you do have to crank up the volume on the phone and BMW stereo. I'm not an audio nut, so I cannot say that I miss highs and lows, etc. I'm using the factory speakers and usually driving on the freeway at 60+ MPH so I don't think that I'm missing much using a cheap BT audio receiver.

Apparently, the AirPlay has a better sound quality. I've never used an AirPlay device in my car, but it sounds good over home stereo speakers. I may invest in once of the new devices. I could really care less about the integration with iDrive. I'm not willing to pay the price of the BMW iPod kit to get integration.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:42 AM
New Members

Thanks Txag_530i.

I have another question.

Something like this but only have the lighting on one end.
Amazon.com : BMW & MINI Cooper Y cable iPod iPhone 5 5S 5C iPad Lightning Cable cord to USB & 3.5mm AUX Cable adapter Lead Wire : Automotive Electronic Security Products : Car Electronics
I use one of these.

Amazon.com: Kensington 2-in-1 Charger and Audio Cable for iPhone/iPod, including iPhone 4S (Discontinued by Manufacturer): Electronics Amazon.com: Kensington 2-in-1 Charger and Audio Cable for iPhone/iPod, including iPhone 4S (Discontinued by Manufacturer): Electronics

Unfortunately, it looks like the manufacturer has discontinued it, and the secondary market (at least on Amazon) is a little ridiculous - I paid about half of what they're going for now.