E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Active Backrest Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 04:03 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Project: Active Backrest Retrofit

See the teaser thread here: http://forums.5serie...s-next-project/

Active Backrest is an option for the Comfort Seats where the backrest can be set with a Comfort, Normal, and Sport mode
It was only available with option 456 (Comfort Seat) and was not available with 455 (Active Seats - this is the one that massages your bottom)

I have only seen evidence of it exisiting in M5s but if anyone has actually seen it in anything else please let me know.

So what does it do?
Active Backrest monitors the DSC information and automatically adjusts the backrest on the outside of the turn to tighten up and support the driver/passenger during cornering.

The new buttons shown below. I will first do the install without installing the buttons to see that it can be made to work without the expense of the new buttons. I expect it can be controlled completely through the iDrive controller.

My seat on the bench. It is backin the car now, just took it out to inspect.
https://mpuddq.dm2301.livefilestore....&cropmode=none

Some of the controller connections

The exisitng backrest motor that needs to be replaced

My test jig. What you see here is 2 motors for 1 seat - left side and right side. I plan to modify the jig to mount the other 2 motors to represnt both driver and passenger seats during testing

The plan:
1) Create the cable harnesses for the seat
2) Create or update the harness from the car
3) Connect Jig to car - code the car - test jig operation during a drive
4) Remove seats again. Remove existing motor from seat. Install 2 new motors per seat with new wire harness. Install seats

I will consider making additional harnesses in the process that I will make available to purchase if it looks like there is interest.

The parts for this retrofit cost about $900USD and I can provide the retrofit harness (assuming I get all this to work!).

I will wait before I am ready to declare the price of the retrofit harness until it is done. Each retrofit kit requires ~100 connections to be made depending on the availability of compatible plugs to mate with exisitng plugs. If I can't find a mate then I will have to remove existing plugs and replace them also.

Not sure how this retrofit $ compares to the original option price but if you like your exisitng seats this is better than swapping out the whole seat for M5 seats.

Last edited by NoQuarter; 09-24-2017 at 08:56 AM. Reason: fixed photobucket pics
Old 10-28-2011, 10:13 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW E60 525dA - Comf. seat, Hi-Fi Logic7, Navi prof, carphone prof, seat ventilation, Dynamic Drive, Active steering ++ Retrofits:- 9x20 & 10x20 BMW Style 101 w/ 255/30 ZR20 and 305/25 ZR20- 35/35 H&R sport springs - M-sport package- M5 trunk li

Cool project. Keep us updated!!
Old 12-24-2011, 07:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci

Update: This project is still in progress. I let it wait a while longer to do as a winter project.

Working on the seat harness at the moment but still have some parts on back-order. no delivery date yet
Old 12-24-2011, 07:45 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 02/2006 525i Titanium Silver Metallic Manual 6-Speed

Good Luck! Can't wait to see how it turns out!
Old 01-29-2012, 10:53 AM
Senior Members

Updates:

- The wire harness is 99% complete. Just the final connections to make between the seat controller and the car power and pt_can bus.

Harness bundle.
Active Backrest Retrofit-photo-3-.jpg

This pic shows the plug removed from the Body Gateway Module with pics removed for pt_can and 15wake-up
Active Backrest Retrofit-photo-4-.jpg

My adapters for connecting to pt_can and 15wake-up
Active Backrest Retrofit-photo-5-.jpg

Plugs wrapped up with tape
Active Backrest Retrofit-photo-6-.jpg

My adapter pins inserted back into the BGM plug
Active Backrest Retrofit-photo-7-.jpg

All wrapped up.
Active Backrest Retrofit-photo-8-.jpg

Attached back to BGM
Active Backrest Retrofit-photo-9-.jpg
Old 01-29-2012, 12:06 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 530i N52
Model Year: 2006
Engine: n52

pff ,thats easy
even a cave man can do it

the only problem ..is...there is no more cave man ALIVE )
looking to see the final results..
Old 01-31-2012, 06:56 AM
Members

Hi, is there any coding necessary to get everything working? Or it`s just plug&play?
Old 01-31-2012, 07:23 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by toniboni
Hi, is there any coding necessary to get everything working? Or it`s just plug&play?
It is just like any other option that is added to the car as a retrofit. it will require coding for the new modules to be recognized and for the interface to display on the iDrive screen.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:42 AM
Members

Great DIY write up! Congrats on your progress!

I just checked my 06 option list and see that I have option 456 installed (full electric comfort seats), If I where interested in doing this retrofit, would I need to do the exact same thing you are doing, or is it just a case of coding in my case?

Looking forward in your reply.

Keep up the good work!
Old 01-31-2012, 12:04 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by zagato
Great DIY write up! Congrats on your progress!

I just checked my 06 option list and see that I have option 456 installed (full electric comfort seats), If I where interested in doing this retrofit, would I need to do the exact same thing you are doing, or is it just a case of coding in my case?

Looking forward in your reply.

Keep up the good work!
I'm not sure about the year - would need to double-check that the seat is the same part numbers.
You would need to do what I am doing.

Quick Reply: Active Backrest Retrofit