E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Active Backrest Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 11:08 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW E61 525I M-Sport 6-spd

Originally Posted by NoQuarter
Awesome to see old projects ping me again!

As I read through the earlier posts, I noticed I mentioned that the new seat motors seemed to work OK without the new switch.

By OK I mean the traditional adjustment using the button on the side of seat would change the sides in and out but the automatic part would not work.

Whatever sound you are hearing in the seat, it is not a relay sound. There is nothing like that in the seat. The fact that it started after coding $456 is a sign that it is now trying to work but I don't know what the clicking is unless it is coming from under the seat and not the back.

You didn't mention if both seats behave the exact same way?

If the option was never coded, I suspect the proper wiring was not done either. Sounds like somebody bought some cool seats, bolted them in, and was disappointed when it didn't work right away.

The only way those seats are going to work is if they were properly wired into the PT-can and K-can network. If you unbolt the seat rails, tip the seat back and look under the seat where the wires and controllers are, you might be able to see where a home-made cable was added to wire in the network.

Good luck!
Thanks for your quick reply!

I wrote the PO yesterday and as far as he remembers (he did the retrofit ~6 years ago) he didn't wire in the active backrest control modules correctly. In other words, they should have power, but not the right bus as he couldn't figure out where to find it. I assume its the PT-can or am I wrong? Btw. I can't connect to the active backrest control modules in INPA, so they are def. not wired properly. Can you remember where to find the right busses? Is it at the switch center or? I installed AUX input today and noticed some "non-factory" wiring coming from the switch panel. Wondering what they are connected to...

Both seats make the same clicking noise when pushing either button. The clicking comes from underneath the seats.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:20 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

PT-Can and K-Can are literally all over the car. I think this post has some pics I took when I tapped into them for the seats, I used the harness that is under the glove box.

Tapping into the can-bus is not for the timid. If this isn't your sort of thing then track down someone who can get through it. You don't want this to be your first DIY!

You also need to be sure you are doing top-quality connections, keeping network interference minimized, etc. PT-Can is the network system that handles stability controls, etc so no half-a$$ wire taps for this project.

All that said, you got it pretty easy. I had to build my own harness which required 80+ connections if I remember correctly. You only need to connect 4.

Plan it out, think it through, and make it a nice winter project!

Last edited by NoQuarter; 12-06-2016 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-13-2017, 02:49 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2009 528xi
Model Year: 2009

I'm going to be doing this swap as well with the heated comfort active seats. My car is LCI and the heated comfort active seats are from an LCI car. My car has the heated full electric seats(10way not 20way). Do I need to code my car so the active button makes that option work? Or plug n play with the oem button and wiring? If I understand correctly these seats (all 20 ways) and heat should work plug n play...Correct? Just wondering about the active portion of the seats.
My car 2009 528xi...seats from 2010 550i
PS. If I can't get the active portion working are the seats still worth keeping? They're the same as the regular comfort seat without active feature correct?
For the price I paid, I damn near stole these things, I'd hate to have to hunt different ones down now.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:41 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci

I think you certainly are going to have to code the car for the Active backrest option.

You will be adding a new switch to the center console and you will want the option so show up in iDrive.

Almost nothing in these cars is plug and play - certainly not when retrofitting new options.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:51 AM
New Members

ok, so the seats are plug n play except for the active feature? And also are the factory switches and wiring all I need to connect to the seats?
Old 01-16-2017, 08:11 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Justinp1982
ok, so the seats are plug n play except for the active feature? And also are the factory switches and wiring all I need to connect to the seats?
Sorry... out of my area of experience for that.

Any of these sorts of projects, I always make a preliminary investigation that does not get me "stuck" in between modifications. Going straight for 3rd base on the first try is just asking for extra pain and suffering.

For example....

Have you ever removed a seat before and know the best way to get it out without scratching up your doors?

Do you have the correct socket for the seat bolts?

Have you looked at the how your current seats are wired? Compared all the connections?

Do you know how/where you are going to tap into the can-bus network and route the cable to your seats?

Do you have the correct electrical pins and tools to insert the new connections into the plugs?

Your questions are fair.... just don't underestimate the amount of actual investigation and prep you need to do. This is a "minor" project compared to what I had to do... but it is still quite a commitment for you to make it happen.

I'm just trying to prepare you so you aren't thinking... "I'm just unbolting a seat and plugging in a different one, how hard can it be? "

Good luck! I'm happy to help where I can.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:31 AM
New Members

yes I know how to remove seats, yes I have tools lol. No I haven't looked at the wiring, from what I've read everywhere as long as I have the full electric seats with heat the comfort seats are plug and play why would I tap into anything or need electrical pins and tools? Plus I don't care about the active feature that much. As I stated I damn near stole these for the price so if I can hook em up without messing around with tons of wiring that's the goal. Just so you know I'm not converting these into active seats ie taking them apart and adding the pads and motors or any of that stuff. My seats are the active seats with wiring and the factory buttons. Why then would I need to tap into the canbus? Figured it was plug n play with all the factory wiring? If not I'll just use them as comfort seats without the active feature.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:37 AM
New Members

Also can you tell the difference in active seats vs the regular comfort seats? Besides having a button that turns on the active feature. What I'm asking is do I need to remove the extra motors and stuff that make up the active feature if I'm not going to use the active feature?
Old 01-16-2017, 08:57 AM
Senior Members

Also can you tell the difference in active seats vs the regular comfort seats? Besides having a button that turns on the active feature. What I'm asking is do I need to remove the extra motors and stuff that make up the active feature if I'm not going to use the active feature?
Best way to tell that you have the Active Backrest seats is to look under the very bottom. Attached to the bottom seat cushion area is the module you see in my earlier posts with the three plugs.

The motors are connected via the Active Backrest module. Without this being properly integrated into the car, your side bolsters will be completely nonfunctional. I know you said you are not necessarily interested in making the Active Backrest work, as you mostly want the Comfort Seat features only. As long as you don't care to adjust the side bolsters then no need to worry about connecting the module.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:00 AM
Senior Members

yes I know how to remove seats, yes I have tools lol. No I haven't looked at the wiring, from what I've read everywhere as long as I have the full electric seats with heat the comfort seats are plug and play why would I tap into anything or need electrical pins and tools? Plus I don't care about the active feature that much. As I stated I damn near stole these for the price so if I can hook em up without messing around with tons of wiring that's the goal. Just so you know I'm not converting these into active seats ie taking them apart and adding the pads and motors or any of that stuff. My seats are the active seats with wiring and the factory buttons. Why then would I need to tap into the canbus? Figured it was plug n play with all the factory wiring? If not I'll just use them as comfort seats without the active feature.
The factory wiring does not include Can-Bus under the seats, so if you were to try and make the new seats work, you would have to run the wire for this connection.

Quick Reply: Active Backrest Retrofit