E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

545i Dual Catch Can setup with pics

Old 06-24-2013, 08:13 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 545i Dual Catch Can setup with pics

Hey guys so about a month ago I had a pretty big problem with my car. At long idles like at a red light or sitting in traffic my car would start idling very high then let out a cloud of smoke out the tail pipe. I just had a problem with my ccv and thats when this smoking problem started so I figured that oil was being sucked up into the manifold then burnt and hence the huge cloud of smoke. So my solution was to put in two catch cans (one for each crankcase) and hopefully it would stop the oil before it gets burnt. So far after 1000 miles it has been doing its job! Every time I get the rough idle I can see the oil being sucked into the hoses and not being sent into the manifold. There has been zero power loss and if anything the car feels much more responsive off the line. If anyone has questions feel free to ask and I'll try to help you out. P.S. ignore the blue hoses, theyre gone lol they were the only ones I had when I started this project.
Attached Thumbnails 545i Dual Catch Can setup with pics-img_4669.jpg   545i Dual Catch Can setup with pics-img_5229.jpg   545i Dual Catch Can setup with pics-img_5196.jpg   545i Dual Catch Can setup with pics-img_2242.jpg   545i Dual Catch Can setup with pics-img_8348.jpg  

Old 06-25-2013, 06:56 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i sport package with Mteck & M5 Rims Mpower

Wow .. Great job. I think I'm having the same problem with my car 545i , I can see you are located in New Jersey I'm located I'm jersey as well and would like know if you have time and we are not that far apart if you could take a look at my car and if you could do the job for me I just pay for everything ?
Old 06-26-2013, 07:15 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i

How much oil is accumulating in those catch cans? I'm thinking about doing this as well. I'm currently getting DISA codes in INPA because my intake manifold is gummed up.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:58 AM
RTR
Members

Is the OCC vented? Are there any long term effects of decreased vacuum in the crankcase?
Did you cut the stock vent pipe connectors and use them to attach a hose?
+1 on the question how much oil is accumulated there.

Also, I kind of got the impression that if you decide to put in the OCC you take out the CCV as well (yeah, that's not possible due to it being in the valve cover)?
What OCC did you use?

Quite a few questions, but would really appreciate the response. I was thinking about putting OCC myself, but the idea of not being able to remove/bypass crankcase vent valves stopped me.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:14 AM
New Members

Nice. How did you connect the blue hoses to the factory connectors...electrical tape? Where did you buy the catch cans?
Old 07-06-2013, 10:06 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 X5 4.8is

Yes please update with parts list too.. Interested on doing this on my 4.8is.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:15 PM
New Members

@OP

Looks like this kit was used

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...d=190831440288
Old 07-07-2013, 06:43 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by 4.8isX5
Yes it does look like what was used. And that's really cheap.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:47 PM
Members

Hey guys sorry for no reply in a while I was on vacation. Since I posted this the catch cans have caught about 1/8 quart of oil in 2000 miles. The passenger side has been collecting more than the drivers side. Im not really sure why but I figured I would mention that. Heres a link to the catch cans on ebay. Billet Aluminum Racing Engine Oil Catch Reservoir Tank Can Hose Indicator Black | eBay
What I did was take out that clear plastic tube by unscrewing the two connections and putting two screws in place with threadlock. I read online that these usually have air leaks at those points. Next I went to home depot and bought some o-rings to replace all the ones that come with these cans. There are a total of 3 per can. You can tell the ones you get arent of the best quality so I figured it wouldn't hurt to get some new ones. The last mod I did was cut the can in half and put in a homemade baffle. This made a significant difference in how much oil was collected. Before I did this I could see some oil still getting into the manifold. After doing this there has been little to none going in. I highly recommend doing this simple mod. It took about an hour and that was only because I had to wait for the JB weld to dry. To connect the catch cans to the ccv I cut the stock tubing so just the connections were used. i bought tubing that would fit into the stock connections and sealed it up with head gasket glue from autozone. This stuff works great and there have been zero leaks on either side. This is not a vented system it. Its the exact same system that comes stock but it collects the oil that my car was sucking into the manifold on long idles. So far the car has been running great. I've felt no loss in power at all and it seems that the pressure in the crank case is about the same as it was before. any questions feel free to ask. I highly recommend trying this because it only costs about $50 in total for both catch cans plus supplies and only takes an hour or 2 to complete
Old 07-07-2013, 06:57 PM
New Members

Can you explain more about the DIY baffles, any pics?

Also without the baffles did it still smoke? How long of an idle time before producing smoke upon acceleration?

Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 545i Dual Catch Can setup with pics