E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

'04 545i VAREX X-FORCE Muffler Installation

Old 09-22-2013, 01:12 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 01/04 545i - 19" Alloys
Default '04 545i VAREX X-FORCE Muffler Installation

Good morning everybody!

I thought I'd start this thread for all of those who are curious about the VAREX Muffler.

When I first bought one back in '08 for my E46 318i I was a bit hesitant about its ability to be able to baffle the exhaust enough to sound 'near stock', but I was surprised with the result, and I'm now purchasing another one for my 545i.

There isn't too much information available for BMW owners who want one of these installed... so I thought I'd share my experience.

the website is here: XForce. Performance Mufflers, Exhaust Systems & Accessories. About the Varex™ remote controlled Sports muffler.

I just purchased the 3" inlet / twin 3" outlet and I'll upload pictures and a video when it arrives and is installed! I'll also be doing the wiring myself and will provide pictures of this

Being able to have the throaty V8 sound or quiet cruising at the press of a button is a winner in my books.

Stay tuned!

- Matt
Old 09-22-2013, 01:21 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks interesting. Looking forward to the video.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:00 PM
Members

+1 I'm excited to hear this. IF you have the ability to control the volume, I assume you will delete the muffler and the resonator?
Old 09-22-2013, 04:43 PM
New Members

If removing the resonator will give the car that Bitey V8 sound and gurgle, then YES!!!!!!!! I never thought about it until you mentioned it just then.

I'm not after a ridiculously loud exhaust, just one that has that classic V8 bite and gurgling Any input on this would be greatly appreciated
Old 09-22-2013, 05:37 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ma_tty_d
If removing the resonator will give the car that Bitey V8 sound and gurgle, then YES!!!!!!!! I never thought about it until you mentioned it just then.

I'm not after a ridiculously loud exhaust, just one that has that classic V8 bite and gurgling Any input on this would be greatly appreciated
Deleting the cat's and installing headers will get you that bitey v8 sound for sure. I wasn't satisfied with the v8 sound with my car until we did the headers but I do recall some really subtle gurgle (and maybe even a little pop) even when the car had catalytics. I've posted this video a few times on the forum already but here is a video with stock manifolds and catalytic converters still in the car before the headers were put in. Forward to 19 seconds for really subtle gurgle.

Old 09-22-2013, 06:12 PM
New Members

That sounds great West, Cheers for the Video

I'd certainly be happy with that sound from my car. I mean, it is going to have a baby seat in the back....

- Matt
Old 09-22-2013, 07:54 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ma_tty_d
That sounds great West, Cheers for the Video

I'd certainly be happy with that sound from my car. I mean, it is going to have a baby seat in the back....

- Matt
Excellent. Keep us posted!
Old 09-24-2013, 05:42 PM
Members

Removing the muffler like I did gives the car a great sound, but you are adding a muffler so yours will be subtle and quite unlike mine. This is why I recommend removing the resonator which will make it louder but then you can dial it back to a near stock sound.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:28 PM
New Members

yusoslo that sounds awesome! had that great V8 gurgle too, I might give just the high performance varex first, then if its not as v8 sounding as i thought i'll get them to remove the resonator, the local muffler shop 1km from me only charged me $150 for the muffler delete, including a polished SS twin tip!

I'll keep this thread up to date
Old 09-26-2013, 09:37 PM
New Members

The muffler arrived today! very fast postage considering it was free

It was very well protected in the box. And the welds look great, twin 3" is going to fit snug in the bumper cutout!

Its booked in to get installed in two weeks! looking forward to it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '04 545i VAREX X-FORCE Muffler Installation