E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

VIN check & and good deal?

Old 01-03-2009, 09:03 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was wondering if someone could run this VIN# and was able to check maintenance records? CARFAX shows its clean...but still wanted some input from people on this forum.

VIN is: WBSNB93508CX08991

Car is a '08 M5 w/ approx 7500 miles on it. It was bought 14 July '07 with one owner and still has remaining warranty.
Options are: space grey interior w/ black/silver interior, SMG, Heads up display, Heated front and rear seats, heated steering wheel, rear shade package, ipod connection.

Price is $66,950.

Is this a good deal? I researched the dealership, and it had decent reviews, including from the Better Business Bureau. The dealership isn't BMW, but they deal with high end cars like aston martin, mazarati, bmws, mercedes, etc.
Attached Thumbnails VIN check & and good deal?-m54.jpg   VIN check & and good deal?-m55.jpg   VIN check & and good deal?-m56.jpg  
Old 01-03-2009, 09:04 AM
Members

excuse the first picture, that is a different car than the one i'm talking about.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:39 AM
Contributors

That looks like a great deal. About $30K under original sticker!

Your local BMW dealer should be happy to run the VIN for you - as for service I think the M's get a check over at 5,6,7 K but then go to CBS (condition based service).

Any sign of well hidden body work ... Carfax doesn't catch every fender bender! And it was a NY (city??) car ... have any Forum members seen it being abused?
Old 01-03-2009, 12:05 PM
Members

I have been eye-balling the car for a while, and it has been sitting at the dealership, since about fall of '08. I saw the car at 83k, then drop to 73k, and now its dropped to the current price.

I will run the VIN at the BMW dealership when i have my M3 serviced soon, but was wondering if anyone here was able to via connections, etc. Save me some trouble.

Anyways, i've seen the car in person, test drove it..and the only issue was a low battery b/c its been at the dealership for a while. Thats no biggy.

I don't see any signs of abuse or body work, then again, i'm not sure what to look for...any tips?
Old 01-03-2009, 01:50 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mdyaman' post='758519' date='Jan 3 2009, 04:05 PM
I have been eye-balling the car for a while, and it has been sitting at the dealership, since about fall of '08. I saw the car at 83k, then drop to 73k, and now its dropped to the current price.
I will run the VIN at the BMW dealership when i have my M3 serviced soon, but was wondering if anyone here was able to via connections, etc. Save me some trouble. Anyways, i've seen the car in person, test drove it..and the only issue was a low battery b/c its been at the dealership for a while. Thats no biggy. I don't see any signs of abuse or body work, then again, i'm not sure what to look for...any tips?
Your dealer would be happy to do an inspection (usually about $100) ... Any work they find is likely to be under warranty anyway. If I were spending the money (even if it looks like a good deal) the added assurance of a good mechanic looking it over would make me feel better.

That said, I went to the car dealer's website - looks like they are swimming in high-end cars. Probably picking them up at the auctions or pulling the deals from stores who would like to lease new ones and not be bothered with selling pre-owned cars. Wonder how many came off leases early when Wall-streeters started losing their jobs??
Old 02-24-2009, 06:15 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='758605' date='Jan 3 2009, 06:50 PM
Your dealer would be happy to do an inspection (usually about $100) ... Any work they find is likely to be under warranty anyway. If I were spending the money (even if it looks like a good deal) the added assurance of a good mechanic looking it over would make me feel better.

That said, I went to the car dealer's website - looks like they are swimming in high-end cars. Probably picking them up at the auctions or pulling the deals from stores who would like to lease new ones and not be bothered with selling pre-owned cars. Wonder how many came off leases early when Wall-streeters started losing their jobs??

Sounds like dealer "stole" that car, if he can drop price by $10k. Check closely for damage; have dealer check it out, as others have said. See if car has a 'blocked warranty.'
Old 02-24-2009, 07:29 PM
Contributors

sounds like a good deal, just check it out before you cut them the check.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:15 PM
Members

If someone runs a carfax for you it will ban the carfax account, or at least that's what happened to me in the past.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:19 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Looks like a great deal to me and you can probably even offer less than that.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:46 PM
Members

A clean Carfax report is a requirement, but don't place too much confidence in it. I personally owned several cars that had been in accidents with $$$$ in damage (99 Jeep, 97 Volvo) and there never was a Carfax entry on ony of these. I have other examples also. Carfax must be clean, then look for yourself.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: VIN check & and good deal?