E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

Top Gear's Review Of the E60 M5

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 11:49 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 525i

Just watched this and wow, even JC thinks its a "epic car" even though he couldn't get the sat nav to be quiet or get the indicators to go off. lol. overall it was an alright review. although he didn't drive it as hard as the 5th Gear review, he says in the end after all the "faults" it is an awesome car. the faults or so he says is only becuase he couldn't get the idrive to work properly. nonetheless. wow. i still want one badly.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:06 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Auto M Sport delivered 04/10/05, Carbon Black, Beige Ventilated Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Media Pack - Sat Nav Pro, Bmw Assist, Bluetooth phone prep + telematics + snap in adapter for Nokia 6230i & 6 CD, Visibility Pack - bi-xenons, adaptive headlights and Headlight Wash, HUD, High Gloss Shadow Line, Extended Lights, HiFi System, Extended Voice, M Spoiler and Heated/ventilated f/seats. Chrome Grills. M Double Spoke 19" Mixed Wheels 172 with 245/35 front and 275/30 rear (Non-runflat continentals) Spare wheel and jack. Supaglass.

although he didn't drive it as hard as the 5th Gear review, he says it even better then a F430. wow. i want one badly.

But even then they managed to break both cars - with the differentials going 'pop' !
Old 07-25-2005, 02:57 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 E60 M5/SMG (LCI) Interlagos Blue/Black Merino Aux input, sun protection glass, Bluetooth, Voice control

Originally Posted by Boxsterfeet' date='Jul 25 2005, 09:06 AM
although he didn't drive it as hard as the 5th Gear review, he says it even better then a F430. wow. i want one badly.?

But even then they managed to break both cars - with the differentials going 'pop' !
[snapback]152727[/snapback]

i thought his review was a "JOKE". he picked on EVERYTHING about the E60. Basically saying that if it weren't for the V10 unit, the car is shite!

that guy is so bias towrds MB it's unbelievable... if it had a 3 pointed star on the front, he'd have loved "everything" about it..

and why couldn't he get the Sat Nav to be quiet??? and if he didn't want it on, then why did he PUT it on??
Old 07-25-2005, 08:01 AM
Members

Mr Clarkson and Top Gear have fogotten that it is not about how 'smart' they seem but its a motoring programme. His backwards thinking attitude that 'fast is good' and 'diesel is bad' and 'badge engineering' is all that matters is wrong. To dismiss perfectly good cars cos they dont come from 'reputable' manufaturers is daft.

How they can justify allowing someone who clearly is too stoopid to work the indicators and incapable of turning the volume down with a big button marked what it does - and as for not being able to turn down the sat nave - let loose in a powerful car on the public road.....

The programme has lost it.

Thats why I generally do not watch it. If only we could have a proper motoring programme instead of the ego boosting drivel that this lot spout.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:02 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ceejay' date='Jul 25 2005, 11:01 AM
Mr Clarkson and Top Gear have fogotten that it is not about how 'smart' they seem but its a motoring programme. His backwards thinking attitude that 'fast is good' and 'diesel is bad' and 'badge engineering' is all that matters is wrong. To dismiss perfectly good cars cos they dont come from 'reputable' manufaturers is daft.

How they can justify allowing someone who clearly is too stoopid to work the indicators and incapable of turning the volume down with a big button marked what it does - and as for not being able to turn down the sat nave -? let loose in a powerful car on the public road.....

The programme has lost it.

Thats why I generally do not watch it. If only we could have a proper motoring programme instead of the ego boosting drivel that this lot spout.
[snapback]152863[/snapback]

i agree that JC has lost it and that top gear is more for 10 year olds than anything. 5th gear did a proper road test.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:03 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 525i Sport. Mystic Blue. Logic 7, 6 CD Changer, Floormats. Just call me the last of the big spenders!!

Don't be upset with Mr Clarkson. When the whole world loves a particular car, Mr Clakson will do his best to put it down as far as he can.

If you're ever waiting for Mr Clarkson to unreservedly praise a car that the whole world is praising then, unfortunately, you're just waiting for a slap in the face.

He's also done the same to the most loved MB's, Ferrari's, Porsche's, Lambo's. You name a car with iconic status and you are naming a car that Mr Clarkson will do his best to diss.

He will only ever unreservedly praise a car if he thinks he's the man who's discovered it, and brought it to our attention.

The programme used to be a lot better when they used to do multiple road tests and comparisons. It's gone downhill over the last few years since the format's changed..
Old 07-25-2005, 09:06 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nomad' date='Jul 25 2005, 12:03 PM
Don't be upset with Mr Clarkson. When the whole world loves a particular car, Mr Clakson will do his best to put it down as far as he can.

If you're ever waiting for Mr Clarkson to unreservedly praise a car that the whole world is praising then, unfortunately, you're just waiting for a slap in the face.

He's also done the same to the most loved MB's, Ferrari's, Porsche's, Lambo's. You name a car with iconic status and you are naming a car that Mr Clarkson will do his best to diss.

He will only ever unreservedly praise a car if he thinks he's the man who's discovered it, and brought it to our attention.

The programme used to be a lot better when they used to do multiple road tests and comparisons. It's gone downhill over the last few years since the format's changed..
[snapback]152893[/snapback]
yeah, that is one of the downfalls of 5th gear, [i only say 5th gear cuz thats the only other car program i could compare it to that test similar cars] seems they are "too easy" on cars during their reviews yet JC and hammond and may still give a fair review by saying the downsides of every car no matter how great it is.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:55 PM
Members

I watched Top Gear and could not help thinking a lot of it was staged. Having front end shots of the car driving and going from one indicator to the other as JC struggled to 'master' the indicators stunk of those guys trying to be entertaining (or being really cynical and it's all about JC showing how funny he is).
And the sat nav voice issue. He claims to have turned the car off, and it was still talking to him. Did he inadvertently press the 'continue navigation' when he started the car???
He still reckons it's the dogs b*llocks though. Most of the complaints he had were simply unfamiliarity with the E60. And Auto Express has voted the E60 the top executive car (again).
My only real concern is I paid in ? for my E60 almost exactly what the US M5 costs. An Germany is almost local to us!!
Old 07-25-2005, 07:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Oh Oh gotta go watch it now.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Oh man they saved it for last... that was horrible! That review sucked! He needs to learn how to use the car... Glad he at least liked it...

I was expecting it to be faster around the track... wonder how the M6 will do. M6 drives much cleaner!

Quick Reply: Top Gear's Review Of the E60 M5