E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

Bad Day today :(

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 05:02 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Late 2005 M5 in Silverstone Metallic II with Full Black Leather Interior. SMG, LOGIC7, Heated Front Seats, Rear Electric Sun Blind, Comms Package, Professional Nav, TV Function, Extended Voice Control, Adaptive Headlights

Well today was a bit of a downer. I was driving home from work, and i just pulled out of a junction, and as i pulled out and started to accelerate, the rear end gave way completely. I held the back end, and tried to get her back in again, but it was too late. The rear left wheel slammed straight into a kerb on the side of the road. I pulled straight over, and got out, checked the damage, and my heart sank. I had no idea why the car had spun out, as i use that junction every day, and it's a very grippy suface. Not to mention the fact that even though "M" mode was on, i was no more than quarter throttle! I swear down, i couldn't have been doing more than 15-20mph. But the momentum of the car spinning increases the impact i guess. I walked back to the junction, and noticed that there was a massive patch of green fluid, which i think is either power steering of brake fluid. Not sure which. And you could quite clearly see where my rear wheels had gone straight through it. I'm surprised i didn't notice it myself when i was pulling out.

Hopefully, the isn't too much damage. I think, after further inspection after it got recovered on a truck, that the only parts broken are wheel and tire (obviously), lower arm, and strut. The drive shaft looks to be in place still, and i can't imagine i've damaged the diff or axle.... Hope not!

Anyway, i'll let the pictures do the talking....

The wheel...

Wheel up close and minor bodywork damage, but nothing serious

The rest of the wheel

Cambered out slightly... (looks quite cool though!)

Everything underneath looks to be ok at first glance...
Old 12-21-2008, 05:07 PM
Contributors

damn! it literally cracked the wheel! how hard did you hit the curb? i think you should b ok with everything else. contact insurance and thell them right away! or the cops get a report for the insurance. they'll pick up the tab.
Old 12-21-2008, 05:07 PM
Senior Members

OMFG, i almost teared looking at the rims. I hope everything goes well man
Old 12-21-2008, 05:21 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Late 2005 M5 in Silverstone Metallic II with Full Black Leather Interior. SMG, LOGIC7, Heated Front Seats, Rear Electric Sun Blind, Comms Package, Professional Nav, TV Function, Extended Voice Control, Adaptive Headlights

Originally Posted by schulrog' post='750157' date='Dec 22 2008, 02:07 AM
damn! it literally cracked the wheel! how hard did you hit the curb? i think you should b ok with everything else. contact insurance and thell them right away! or the cops get a report for the insurance. they'll pick up the tab.
Not quite the same procedure here as the US mate. The Police didn't turn up and i didn't call them, so i am going to wait to find out how much it is going to cost to fix, and if it's reasonable, then i'll pay it myself. If it's not reasonable though, i'll be contacting my insurer! As for how hard i hit the kerb... I had literally just pulled out of a road at a T Junction, and turned right, and started to accelerate. I couldn't have been doing more than 15-20mph max. But when the back end slipped out, it just WENT! I tried doing everything i could to correct it, but nothing helped. It was all over in a couple of seconds. And i don't blame my car control either, as i'm pretty good IMO. I've done quite a few advanced driving courses, and used to compete it drifting competitions too! Just unlucky i guess. But the green fluid whatever it was, was certainly what instigated it.

aresh - Thanks bro. I was almost welling up when i looked at the damage too. I think it's quite superficial though after properly looking under teh car. Everything looks fine other than the lower arm. Will find out in a few days from the bodyshop and let you all know though.
Old 12-21-2008, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

sorry to hear/see Jon. Glad you are alright tho. Hope things get resolved to your liking. Perhaps it's a sign...new wheels..
Old 12-21-2008, 05:47 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS' post='750168' date='Dec 22 2008, 02:32 AM
sorry to hear/see Jon. Glad you are alright tho. Hope things get resolved to your liking. Perhaps it's a sign...new wheels..
Thanks Gene. I know i know i know!! I need new wheels.... All mods are currently aside until 2009 though. So January time or February, i'll start getting things on the move mod wise!
Old 12-21-2008, 05:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i, 2012 E70 X5 35i
Model Year: 2004

oh man, ouch, sorry to hear about the accident... hmm time to get some new rims!
Old 12-21-2008, 05:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

So sorry to hear about this Jon. I'm glad you're ok though. This is an easy fix. You'll have your baby back up and running in no time.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:00 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nigxdoof' post='750182' date='Dec 22 2008, 02:52 AM
oh man, ouch, sorry to hear about the accident... hmm time to get some new rims!
Thanks bro. There will be new ones early next year!!

Calton, thanks buddy. Hope she's back soon. I'm already missing M Power. Shame it's over the Christmas and New Year period. Don't think i'll see her now till early January
Old 12-21-2008, 06:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Ouch! Sorry to hear that sucks... hope you get it all sorted out soon.

Quick Reply: Bad Day today :(