E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ZF 6H19 Shakes on Stop

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 02:05 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M54
Model Year: 525i 2004
Default ZF 6H19 Shakes on Stop

Hello guys, I am back with another transmission issue. Recently I changed all solenoid, sleeves, adapater, pan and oil on my transmission and then went to reset the adaptation, and along with adaptation, I reset following two which were options in INPA.
1. Solenoid Valve
2. EDS (pressure controller valve)

Now, the transmission runs nice and smooth, BUT (randomly, not always, only 30-40%) when I come to stop on the red light and car is on total stop, the car jerks (as if someone has hit me from the back) once or twice which feels like the gears are shifting from 3-2-1 or 2-1 based on one or two jerks. I used INPA to check if this was the gear shift, and much to my surprise, everytime I stopped INPA showed that the car has already shifted to 'D1' i.e. first gear, but I still felt the jerks after the stop.

What is more strange is, that sometime these jerks would appear after nearly 10 seconds of the car being stopped, not straight away.

Had a talk to a local indy, and he bluntly blamed the valve body. From what I could understand, the mekatronic is make up of TCU+Solenoids+Valves. According to the indy, these valves were getting stuck and when they open, the car jerks.

If I put the two and two together, it seems like the EDS adaptation that I reset, the jerks started after that, so does that mean I have screwed up my valves (EDS) in the mekatronic and even after changing the solenoids, I will need to get a new mekatronic?

Is there one case of these type of jerking after stop and know of a solution???
Old 03-03-2015, 03:10 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Not a transmission expert, but one problem that matches that symptom is torque converter lockup while downshifting. The torque converter will lockup in higher gears when you are essentially going at a steady speed. It is supposed to unlock completely or cycle off and on when it downshifts. The clunking happens when there is a downshift and the torque converter is still locked up. I'm guessing some of the tools must be able to track the torque converter operation.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 284 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

I have never heard of resetting the EDS. Is that in the activate menu? I had the same issue you were having but when I got my VB rebuilt and new solenoids with gaskets everything went away after just resetting the trans adaptions. No more late downshifting. Are you sure you filled the trans all the way? It should of taken a little over 6L. It just might be the extra setting you changed.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:29 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530i

I've had this problem too. I changed trans oil and filter + reset adaptions and it was still doing it but after a while it went away by itself. Maybe just wait a bit if you reset your adaptions it might take a while to relearn them. I'm not an expert just speaking from my experience.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:49 AM
Super Moderator

you havent did the 200mi relearn yet. If not there is no need talking about this
Old 03-04-2015, 04:26 PM
New Members

My Ride: E60 2006 sedan auto

I haven't Had any problems since i fitted my new solenoids and reconditioned valve body but I havn't done the adaptions as yet, so I will write if mine changes
But on my understanding the computer takes a while to learn so just be patient for a little longer
I will watch to see how it goes as well
Looking forward to your update
Old 03-05-2015, 02:03 AM
Members

Here is the pic that shows EDS reset. Torque converter sounds more like it after 200Km's on my car. Can this be changed with transmission fitted in the car?

I read somewhere, that updating the tranny software fixes the issue? Anyone got more details on this?
Attached Thumbnails ZF 6H19 Shakes on Stop-inpa-solenoid.jpg  
Old 03-05-2015, 04:51 AM
Super Moderator

I dont know anyone who reset the EDS after doing solenoid upgrades/replacement. That I would this is set by BMW in the software they load. If anything you should go to an indy or dealership to have the reload or upgrade the software. The only thing you should of reset were the adaptions. You probably will not get any help with your issue being that its an uncharted territory. If you were not having this issue before then it was definatly something you did and thinking its something else is going too far. I would drive it for a while to see if it self corrects if not its time to take it in.

Im no expert but the mech is only the computer which sits on the solenoids/VB. Meaning it controls what the valvle body does. Over time it adjust to wear and tear. If you replaced your EDS solenoid then reset it (back to factory) now it lost its adaptions to wear and tear. My car was doing the late jerk after a hard start but was corrected by replacing the solenoids and all the gasket between the VB and Trans (should be 5). If it doesnt get the correct pressure the valves will not kick like it is suppose to. I only reset the Trans adaptions and my late kick went away.

Good luck to you and let us know the progress. This is interesting
Old 03-07-2015, 12:03 AM
Members

Originally Posted by seanjordan20
I dont know anyone who reset the EDS after doing solenoid upgrades/replacement. That I would this is set by BMW in the software they load. If anything you should go to an indy or dealership to have the reload or upgrade the software......If you replaced your EDS solenoid then reset it (back to factory) now it lost its adaptions to wear and tear.............If it doesnt get the correct pressure the valves will not kick like it is suppose to.....
Thanks seanjordan20, so in your theory above it is the resetting of EDS which has lost the adaptation of the wear and tear of the actual valves. In other words, it is not the torqu converter.

So my question here will be, if the valve wear and tear adaptation is lost, how will upgrading the EGS software help in solving the wear and tear of the valve. Does it not mean getting a new/refurbished mekatorinic is the only solution?
Old 03-07-2015, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator

No it doesnt. Has your Mech stopped responding? Is your gears switching like they should? Then the mech is working properly. It only tell the "trans" what to do at what times and give you readouts. Unless it has stopped doing one of those then there is no need. How many miles have you put on it since the reset? Maybe an upgrade will address something that will get the adaptions to recognize the wear and adjust better. Upgrades to a car is just like upgrading your PC it address issues in software to make it perform better. If you get a new mech then you have to replace the valve body also. They are married and have to be replaced together. Someone correct me if that statement is wrong. But from what I have been told BMW has been doing that for a while. You can not get rid of wear and tear of an old trans unless you rebuild or replace it that is where the software comes in to tell the trans how to perform at what levels and ratios due to wear. I have no idea what issues are addressed in the software version so I cant tell you that an update will correct your issue. I believe driving it will ultimately solve the problem. I just thought of something because the problem you have is what I was having. Do you have 3 blue solenoids and dd you replace 5 gaskets in between the VB and trans?

Quick Reply: ZF 6H19 Shakes on Stop