E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Won't Start Won't Crank

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 05:46 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Automatic transmission or manual transmission? Manual transmission has an interlock that prevents you from starting the car unless you push in the clutch pedal. Could be something in that circuit.
Old 02-07-2015, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 294 Likes on 283 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

Same thing happen to me and it turned out being the starter. I got the run around and misdiagnosis from the dealer pointing to the battery and a software update. It worked fine for a couple of days then same problem. Ended up getting a battery for free and they installed the starter as a courtesy. Paid nothing in the end. But I would do what was suggested and tap the starter.
Old 02-07-2015, 02:54 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any codes? Can you use INPA to read CAS module? I just had that happen to me. Used INPA and got a Starter malfunction code from the CAS module, changed the starter et voilá! That being said, a no crank no start can be a ton of stuff on these cars from battery (even with all light on) VIM, CAS module itself, keys, and a few others. If you search no crank no start on a few BMW forums you'll find a TON of threads about this.
Old 11-26-2015, 08:29 AM
Members

Alrighttttt... I think I may have the same issue. However, difference is, before getting to the point of no cranking at all, few times it tried to start and died, then started (like the battery is dying). However, same night, went to a restaurant, and was left stranded when trying to start on my way back. Luckily, I have a stick shift, and there was slop back way, so gave it a little push, started it, and didnt turn it off till get home.

I have hard time admitting that Starter is bad, since its not even clicking. All the cars I had in the past, when starter is bad, you would at least hear some noise coming from it.

Everything else (all lights etc.) work fine. One tip I got was, when trying to charge the battery using front connections, it wouldnt charge. However, when connected in the back directly, it started charging. Thought might be grounding issues, checked the ground connections (one between engine and chases on passenger side, one in the back between battery and chases), but they seem fine.

Going to kick the starter now, however; do you guys think it can still be the starter? If it is, why is it not making any noise (like other cars)?

Also, are there any other grounding connections I can check?

Thanks.
Old 11-26-2015, 10:01 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Manual transmission may also have a starter interlock relay that won't provide power to the starter unless the clutch pedal is in. Old Maxima I had needed to have that replaced twice in the 15 years I had it.
Old 11-26-2015, 12:07 PM
Members

Originally Posted by twh
Manual transmission may also have a starter interlock relay that won't provide power to the starter unless the clutch pedal is in. Old Maxima I had needed to have that replaced twice in the 15 years I had it.
Thanks for the response.

Yeah, that is one possibility, and I tried to slam a few times on the clutch in case it may trigger it. However; it should not give the symptom of engine turning but slow in the beginning...

I also couldnt find a way to bang the starter. I have an idea where it is (between engine and transmission), but couldnt really reach it.

Going to show it to a local electrician tom. I think should be easy to pin point the issue with right tools, and enclosed environment (its getting too cold outside ).

Thanks for the help
Old 01-23-2019, 03:50 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 bmw 530i will not start key only reads when door is ipen than turn key does nothing tried to tap the starter woth screw driver and cranks over but not starts
Default I crank no start please help

have a 2004 bmw 530i so if I have door open key registers if shut key don’t beep that’s it’s in ignition than will not crank nothing when turned I have put the screwdriver on starter it cranks but not starts and dash lights don’t work just radio and lights overhead in car and humming noice coming from the engine in the valve cover or black box below it
any ideas on what I should do
Old 01-17-2021, 10:38 AM
New Members

My Ride: E61

Originally Posted by Chris Losinger
have a 2004 bmw 530i so if I have door open key registers if shut key don’t beep that’s it’s in ignition than will not crank nothing when turned I have put the screwdriver on starter it cranks but not starts and dash lights don’t work just radio and lights overhead in car and humming noice coming from the engine in the valve cover or black box below it
any ideas on what I should do
Hello, do you solve the problem?
Old 02-10-2021, 10:39 AM
Probation Members

My Ride: 2007 525i
Default 2007 e60 no crank, no start

Originally Posted by Deividas Paulauskas
Hello, do you solve the problem?
Hi, I have a 2007 525i. I drove the car regularly. No hiccups. The other day I was moving it from the street back into the driveway. Tried to start. No crank, no start. Check battery, was fair but decided to get a new one. Everythin I read stated that probably the starter motor. Replace through FCP Euro with a new Bosch. Now, new bttry, new starter, same issue. Had a buddy test the old starter and it was fine. I'm lost. I've checked all connections, key fobs, fuses. Please advise