E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Won't Start Won't Crank

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 01:02 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i

06 530i, not push to start, 103k

Woke up and the car won't start or even crank. no clicking noise. battery is good, key is fine (locks/unlocks). interesting note, when i attempt to start it, i can hear this humming noise, when i stop cranking it goes away.

that humming noise, should be the fuel pump correct?
after searching, it could be the starter since the battery is putting out a good reading.. any other ideas?
Old 01-01-2011, 01:43 PM
Members

I also have a 06 530i, no push to start. Same thing happened to my car and it came out to be the starter at fault. The humming noise should be the fuel pump. check out my thread here: https://5series.net/forums/topic/107...3#entry1276323

Your car could be different though - maybe specific cases like the DME fallin off, sensors or modules, or possibly the battery since our car is very sensitive to voltage as many people suggest. Good luck either way man!
Old 01-01-2011, 02:03 PM
Members

thanks man, it was your thread i read from top to bottom which has me suggesting the starter. they run about $80 at autohausaz.com, it's just the wait time that's gonna kill me. any other diagnostics i should try running?
Old 01-01-2011, 03:38 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Originally Posted by aw3964
06 530i, not push to start, 103k

Woke up and the car won't start or even crank. no clicking noise. battery is good, key is fine (locks/unlocks). interesting note, when i attempt to start it, i can hear this humming noise, when i stop cranking it goes away.

after searching, it could be the starter since the battery is putting out a good reading.. any other ideas?
How are you checking to see that your battery is not at fault?

Did you try a jump start?

If the battery is indeed good, I would tap the starter with a hammer to see if the brushes are worn out. If the car starts after tapping (rapping hard, remember if it is bad rapping on the starter is not going to hurt it) the car will start afterwards.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:20 PM
Members

i've tried to jumpstart, and the battery reading is good too. im looking for the starter, and im following the (+) terminal under the hood and i still cannot find it..?

assuming it is the starter:

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...61&hg=12&fg=25

am i supposed to get solenoid switches as well?
Old 01-01-2011, 04:42 PM
Members

also, im due for a spark plugs replacement (100k). ive ruled these out cause the car makes no attempt to start.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:33 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Unfortunately from your responses you really scare me and I can only assume you do not work on cars often enough to recommend that you attempt to replace the starter yourself..

1st make sure the battery is not bad.

2nd locate the starter, tap on it with a rod, maybe not that smart that I recommend this, because you may get hurt if you touch a open positive post on the starter solenoid. Try to start the car afterwards. If the car starts you have a bad starter. If it does not start you can still have a bad starter but the test will at least tell you positively it is bad if the car starts.

If you decide to replace the starter get a manual.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:04 AM
Members

Nope, not a DIY-er, but I like to use this site to get an idea of what could be wrong, that's all. appreciate the input everyone.

oh god, speaking of positive posts: i had a 2002 325ci and i was attempting to remove the battery clamps. i started with the positive end , the wrench hit the metal bar/battery harness and left me with a nice burnt palm. so yeah, not too much of a DIY-er..
Old 01-02-2011, 10:33 PM
Contributors

I had a very similar problem recently.

Turned out to be the starter motor.

A month later I needed to change the battery, I don't know if the two problems were linked. Just a head-up.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:52 PM
New Members

My Ride: bmw 520i
Cool Same as me

car won't start or even crank. no clicking noise. battery is good, key is fine (locks/unlocks). interesting note, when i attempt to start it, i can hear this humming noise, when i stop cranking it goes away.

after searching, it could be the starter since the battery is putting out a good

Quick Reply: Won't Start Won't Crank