E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

While driving, car has no gas and shuts off (!!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 12:52 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 520i E60
Default While driving, car has no gas and shuts off (!!)

I have a very weird problem, from a year from now.
While driving, at every speed, in every gear, with every weather...car randomly starts hiccup like no petrol is coming to the engine. Pushing down gas pedal I can hear air (I think so) coming into the engine, but no accelleration or other. Car inevitably after some seconds shuts off.
The scary thing is that even if at high speed, it shuts and doesn't restart with cars' movement, like there is no petrol. A very scary thing when it happens.

NO engine failer indicators, NO error in the screen, NO errors in the fuel pump from diagnosys in BMW.

I'm lucky my car is converted togo with CNG (methan) so I've experienced this thing only in few moments, for example when I can't fill methan. The car instead runs like a charm with CNG, no problems at all.
This summer, going to BMW Next 100 festival in munchen because in germany I had no chance to fill CNG I had to experience this issue a ot of times, in motorway too with no chance to restart the car while driving. Not a beautiful thing.

The fact is that in BMW they don't have idea of what can be: no errors in memory, so it can be done only "blind spare parts changes" and it is not the right thing to do obviously.
They told me maybe there will be some wire interrupted somewhere in the ignitors, but thy're not sure. And changing all the car's wiring only for a blind test is not suitable.

Have someone experienced an issue like this?

When the car shuts off, is like a camshaft sensor failure (experienced it with Z3) but the strange thing that it happens ONLY going with petrol, not with CNG. So I think I can exclude camshaft sensor and sensor like this, seems something related to the fuel only...

Last edited by resunoiz; 09-24-2016 at 01:03 PM.
Old 09-30-2016, 07:48 AM
New Members

My Ride: metallic sapphire black, Built in phone charger, radar, cb. blacked out sidemarkers, Aftermarket taillights, passport 9500ci

I am thinking it could be a relay. Im not the smartest cookie, but heres what I found RealOEM.com - Online BMW Parts Catalog
Old 10-01-2016, 03:11 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 530I
Model Year: 530i

My car shuts off three times within three months "while driving on the freeway". After putting back the old fuel pump (with 80k miles when I replaced it as preventative maintenance) and tightened up one of the hoses (where the MAF sensor is located), the car has been running normal ever since. I am putting on another new genuine BMW fuel pump this weekend just have some peace of mind...

I think my last new fuel pump (2nd one) lasted less than 40,000 miles because I let the "You are low on fuel message coming on once too many times". That could have been the cause for a premature failing fuel pump.
Old 10-03-2016, 02:59 AM
New Members

...but you had some warnings from that fuel pump?

mine none on screen and on diagnosis memory in BMW. that's the weird thing
Old 10-03-2016, 03:00 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by doctorbubba010
I am thinking it could be a relay. Im not the smartest cookie, but heres what I found RealOEM.com - Online BMW Parts Catalog
what relay?
Old 10-03-2016, 07:21 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 525i
Model Year: 206

I got the same and it was the crankcase sensor failure. Replace the sensor and it works like a champ
Old 10-06-2016, 12:52 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by richie281vn
I got the same and it was the crankcase sensor failure. Replace the sensor and it works like a champ
unfortunately, NOT in my case. had this issue with Z3

when driving with CNG fuel (90% of the time) the problem is not present. Is fuel-related and does not "shut off" the car, simply no petrol arrives. Electrically the car remains active.