E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

the way E60 was meant to be

Old 05-02-2013, 06:29 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 530i N52
Model Year: 2006
Engine: n52

Originally Posted by balbs
It's actually pretty easy to make your own cables.

I just used some butt\splice connectors to extend the wires that came with the bushing contacts and used some 1/4 inch wire sleeving\protector and heat shrink.
i know..
can u please say yes
i will send u the conector..and make a cable for me as yours..so all ii will have to do is connect it to the sport button and to dtc in the mid dash
please..pretty please

i will "donate" some $
please give me your adress
Old 05-03-2013, 09:48 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Jet Black 530i with some mods

I'm going to do this mod soon.. I'll let you know hot it goes.

Last edited by leggomysakyo; 05-03-2013 at 09:52 AM.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:40 AM
New Members

My Ride: '08 535i Sport

Ok LCI guys, how to you get the connector out of the glove box?

Name:  20130503_143517_zps75941df3.jpg
Views: 3487
Size:  115.6 KB
Old 05-04-2013, 03:59 AM
New Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: E60 530d

I've completed the mod on an LCI 2007 530d. I know it works as when I push the button the steering tightens considerable once started and parked, HOWEVER, I have no sport light on the dash.

I'm going to pop out and give it a spin (should be fun as its raining like mad in the south of the UK today). I'll report back in about an hour with my findings. Oh and I have taken loads of pics so will post them up later.

To be honest it was quite easy, I just removed the fuse box assembly in the glove box (4 x star screws), moved it out the way and the white box of tricks is behind it on the bottom left, this is of course on a RHD UK car. Then removed the connector and placed some pins in 7&9 as instructed, then removed the wood look trim that runs the length of the dash, and the centre console, this enabled me to run the cable across and under the steering wheel. I'll leave the push switch here for now until I decide what to do with it.

Anyway I'm too excited, I'm off for a spin, report back soon.
The following users liked this post:
NWMoss (12-10-2019)
Old 05-04-2013, 06:19 AM
New Members

Well it's definitely in 'sport' mode, the steering is spot on, similar now to my E30 M3, so much feedback and response. I like the way it hangs onto the gears both up and down the box. When you decelerate onto a roundabout it keeps a gear to set the revs around 2k so no lag when you boot it out (DS mode certainly never done this). All in all, very happy. I presume the light needs a re-programme from BMW, certainly doesn't bother me, you can easily tell what mode you are in by the steering, it also resets every time you switch the car off any how. I may just change the switch to one with an LED if I'm that bothered, anyhow, I'm going to figure out how to post pics and get them up.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:37 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: coilvers retrofits
Model Year: 2001 and 2011

good work cockers, many people keep asking me how to do it on a LCI and i can never help (only done it on pre lci).
Old 05-04-2013, 09:09 AM
New Members

Default LCI 2007 530d Pics

Ok so here are the pics as I went;

Firstly I disconnected the battery and I didn't fancy a buzz, or worse blow something up whilst mucking around the fuse box area. I then removed the whole glovebox, it was only 4 screws from underneath and 2 plastic pins (1 holding the plastic damper soft open, and the other one to stop the glovebox opening too far.

Then removed the plastic cover exposing the fuses.

the way E60 was meant to be-1.jpg

Remove the 4 star screws holding the fuse assy in place, wiggle pull and move it to one side exposing the cable we need on the bottom left.

the way E60 was meant to be-2.jpg
the way E60 was meant to be-3.jpg

Remove the white box and bring to the front (you may need to work on the cable as there is not a lot of length to work with.

the way E60 was meant to be-4.jpg

Then remove the cable and remove the inners from the housing

the way E60 was meant to be-5.jpg

I need to continue in the next post as I can only load 5 pics at a time
The following users liked this post:
Roberts Bilkins (06-20-2020)
Old 05-04-2013, 09:23 AM
New Members

Part 2..

Then I simply inserted the 2 pins I made up into 7&9 (I will attach part numbers at the end, all parts from Maplins in the UK).

the way E60 was meant to be-6.jpg

Then put the housing back on, plug the White box back in and put it back where it belongs, I then run the other end of the cables up to the left and out by the passenger air Bag (you need to remove the length of trim that runs across the front of the dash, instruction in one of the attached videos earlier, its easy, just need to jimmy it a bit).

the way E60 was meant to be-7.jpg
the way E60 was meant to be-8.jpg

Then I run the cable across the car and through the centre console unit, again instructions to remove this are in the previous videos, its only a couple of screws. I then worked the cable to where the steering when adjuster is and left plenty of cable as I'm not sure where I am going to place the push switch yet.

the way E60 was meant to be-9.jpg
the way E60 was meant to be-10.jpg

As I said in my previous post, I may purchase a switch with an LED, or even the original parts for the gear shifter, but for now it works perfectly just no 'sport' light on the dash.

I will post pictures of the parts I used in the next post, they are all available from Maplins cheap enough (less than £5 for the lot).

Get out there and do the mod, you wont regret it.....
Old 05-04-2013, 09:24 AM
New Members

And finally the parts I used.

the way E60 was meant to be-11.jpg

the way E60 was meant to be-12.jpg

the way E60 was meant to be-13.jpg

Enjoy, let me know how you get on........
Old 05-04-2013, 12:02 PM
New Members

Question

Originally Posted by Texas_Vol
Ok LCI guys, how to you get the connector out of the glove box?

Hey were you able to get "SPORT" display on the cluster after you grounded pin7 and pin9. Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: the way E60 was meant to be