E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

the way E60 was meant to be

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 02:36 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will this work on my 520D M Sport LCI manual?? would be cool if you could map the car with sport off for economy and with sport on for performance
Old 11-11-2012, 12:42 PM
RTR
Members

Originally Posted by dbond
Thanks for confirming my findings. Pictured vehicle is pre-LCI. In pre-LCI vehicles pins to short are 8 and 10. Notice 8, 9 and 10 are empty. This is where FDC button is connected from factory.
No problem. Maybe I'll try it one day.

Originally Posted by sanjsanj
Problem is, bmw changed the power steering pump from pulley driven, to electric at some point, so I imagine the pulley driven's assistance can't be changed, as opposed to the electric pump, which will have a direct effect on the ability of this sport button...
Yep, that's the part I never understood. It looks like if you have the servotronic option you are good to go, but is it an add on for active steering or it's the same as active steering? I saw people mentioning that their 04 models have servotronic (and 04 bmws still used pulley driven power steering, right?)...
Old 11-11-2012, 01:13 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Well I wired mine last night so I'm using this mod now ... so far I can confirmed that the steering get heavier ... as for shift & throttle I can't tell yet 'cuz I drive the car in manual mode & using Sprint Booster.

Hope there will be no ill effect or anythin' funky w/ this mod ...
Old 11-11-2012, 01:50 PM
Members

Servotronic is an electromagnetic valve that controls the amount of force applied by the steering hydraulics. All E60s have it. Active steering on the other hand is an add-on option.
The physics behind sharper throttle response in FDC mode is the same as Sprint Booster utilizes. You just don't need to pay $$$ for it.
The only thing that's not clear to me is affect on automatics as I have manual shift car.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:21 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

I'll try to see how it goes driving in "D" & "DS" auto mode ... it's just been a long time since I retrofitted paddle shifter ...

Bad thing is to make it OEM look the cost for the "SPORT" button is like $70+ & the shifter face plate (for auto) that has SPORT button opening is like $140+ plus the wires, sockets & plugs ... bleh
Old 11-11-2012, 04:37 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

On my Z4 I have steptronic and the sport button. When I put in D/S mode I don't feel much of a change but when I press that sport button...EVERYTHING changes. When I put my E60 in D/S i definitely notice a change in RPM shifting and and response. Same for my E46. The Z4 is the only one I have a sport button on. I assume the sport button overrides the the D/S mode....at least this confirmed in my Z4. Personally I don't care to do any work or find out.. it's not like it will do anything for the car anyway. It gets me from A to B comfortably and that's all it needs to do for me.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

I can get the sport button for £42 and I have an auto pre-LCI, I may look into this if I can find the spare cash.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:28 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 02/2006 525i Titanium Silver Metallic Manual 6-Speed

Wait a second.

...Basically this is a mod that gives you throttle response similar to that of a sprint booster just by wiring up a sport button? Am I missing something here?

I want to see more pics. Some one show me a pic of the Sport button installed on a manual 6-speed E60. This sounds too good to be true.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:12 AM
Members

Originally Posted by pradden
Wait a second.

...Basically this is a mod that gives you throttle response similar to that of a sprint booster just by wiring up a sport button? Am I missing something here?

I want to see more pics. Some one show me a pic of the Sport button installed on a manual 6-speed E60. This sounds too good to be true.

Guessing this is similar to the 'Sport' button I've see on the E46 M3's. No real increase in power, but changes the ratio of the pedal position to the throttle body butterfly. Hopefully, it also gets rid of some of the throttle lag and goes to a more linear setting.

It this works as advertised, kudos to uncovering this. Even though I may never do this myself, its nice to see the enthusiast community uncovering these mods and breaking the stereo-type that we are all a bunch of buttoned-down executive types that drive these cars.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:29 AM
zio
New Members

I remember driving my mom's '04 Z4 manual and it having the SPORT button. Had to push it and I honestly couldn't feel the difference but I imagine that on my auto 530i, the difference could be more substantial being it could augment the transmission settings. This is very interesting and I look forward to hearing more about this mod as well.

Quick Reply: the way E60 was meant to be