E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Water trickling noise from AC vents and water spray!!

Old 12-04-2012, 10:54 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water trickling noise from AC vents and water spray!!

I have been hearing a water trickling sound from the instrument panel...the vents basically.

The sound does not go away when you turn off the AC, but it does go away if you turn off the entire system.

When you turn the fan to HIGH, it blew water out the vents!! I should say liquid, I assume water...no odor.

2007 550i.

Any ideas? I am about to call my local Indy shop and ask them.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:53 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

Condensations building up on the evaporators which is normal and humid areas add to more condensation, but eventually the water drains out under the car. Is your setting on the coldest temp.? If so bump the temp a little warmer from very cold to minimize condensation. If that don't work check the drain tube, it may be clogged. Good luck
Old 12-04-2012, 07:48 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Im sorry but that's just funny! I have never seen this in any car I've ever owned. I owned a Kia once and the rest are BMW. I couldn't imagine this. It sounds funny. I could understand how it could happen but you would need it to be real humid outside and your A/C blowing a bit below 39 degrees faranheit and I don't think with of my bimmers it was below that.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:20 AM
Members

Originally Posted by e6t.lab.rat
Condensations building up on the evaporators which is normal and humid areas add to more condensation, but eventually the water drains out under the car. Is your setting on the coldest temp.? If so bump the temp a little warmer from very cold to minimize condensation. If that don't work check the drain tube, it may be clogged. Good luck
Indy thinks it is probably a plugged drain.

Anyone know where this tube is? Sounds like the fan is blowing the water and it is trickling back down....and putting the fan on high blew it out the vents.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:33 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by SmithsonGA
Indy thinks it is probably a plugged drain.

Anyone know where this tube is? Sounds like the fan is blowing the water and it is trickling back down....and putting the fan on high blew it out the vents.
Could be - The condensate drain permits moisture extracted by the AC to dump under the car. You would ordinarily see that puddle under the car after parking and after driving for a while with the AC on? It is possible the drain is plugged with debris or insects. If it doesn't drain it has to go somewhere - possibly being picked up by the AC air flow to the vents.

Look for the vent tube - I think it's somewhere near the right front wheel well.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:41 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

I think there is a backed-up drain or something. Turn on the A/C and let it start to happen. I'm pretty sure the water is not draining under the car. Check. If that's the case, start taking out micro air filters and checking the drainage pipes. You may even have to take apart the M-ASK or CCC and so forth to get to it. It would do it before it backs up and ends up overflowing causing damage to electrical components.
While you're at it check your e-box.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:34 PM
Members
Senior Members

LOL this happened to me once and it never happened after that
Old 12-08-2012, 03:49 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 Jet Black 528i Navigation, heated seats, premium

I just took my car in last week for the same thing. First it was the water sound in the AC system, then it started blowing water out of the vents. The dealership said the drain tubes were clogged, so they "blew them out"(their technical description of the fix). Didn't charge me anything because it's in warranty.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:16 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

clogged evaporator drain. there's really no other explanation.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:28 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where are the evaporator drains located? Are there any pics to show how to access them?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Water trickling noise from AC vents and water spray!!