E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rotor Replacement? Warranty Service?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 05:36 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 550i Jet Black|Black Options: Sport|Premium|Cold Weather|PDC|Nav|Satellite Radio|Active Steering|Convenience Entry Mods: Trinity Side Skirts|Trinity Black Grilles|LCI Tail Lights with Bruce V6|Fog Light Bezel Rings|MTEC V2 Angel Eyes|LED License Plate Lights

I took my car into the dealer today for brake service. I have the "extended maintenance package".

When I picked up the car, I saw that they had checked the pads (3mm) and the rotors (22.9mm and 22.7mm). They replaced the pads and sensors but NOT the rotors.

I have had BMWs for 10 years. When my last car (e39) went in for service they ALWAYS replaced the rotors when they replaced the pads. (At that time I didn't have maint coverage). They insisted you had to change both at the same time. Now - when they are paying for it they didn't change the rotors.

So are my questions:

(1) What is the minimum acceptable spec for rotor thickness - I have a 2007 550 Sport
(2) Does BMW maintenance call for replacing rotors when replacing pads or is it based on the thickness of the remaining rotor?
(3) Generally, with average driving what is the rule of thumb for rotor wear (that is mm wear per miles).

Thanks!
Old 10-27-2011, 07:04 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 550i Jet Black|Black Options: Sport|Premium|Cold Weather|PDC|Nav|Satellite Radio|Active Steering|Convenience Entry Mods: Trinity Side Skirts|Trinity Black Grilles|LCI Tail Lights with Bruce V6|Fog Light Bezel Rings|MTEC V2 Angel Eyes|LED License Plate Lights

I did some research and it appears the min tread for the rotors is 22.4mm. That means I am 80% down on one rotor. I can't believe they didn't change them. Has anyone dealt with this type of situation before?
Old 10-27-2011, 08:14 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 530i Mystic Blue

I have the extended maintenance package as well. My rear rotors have never been replaced and they started squeaking. Thus, I took it to the dealership to have the brakes checked and rotors measured. Rear rotors for my 530i minimum spec is 18.4mm and they were measured at 18.3mm. They would NOT replace the rotors eventhough they were below spec! They told me that rotors are ONLY replaced in conjuction with brake pads. Therefore, I was asked to bring back when I am due for the rear brake pads, which would be in another 20k miles. Even called BMWNA and they told me that they would have to follow whatever the dealership determined. I was frustrated. First, I didn't want to compromise my safety and secondly, I was annoyed by the squeaking sound.

I ended up purchasing aftermarket rotors/pads from Michael (Acuteperformance) and replaced them myself.

If you didn't have the extended warranty - I bet they would recommeded to replace the rotors and pads together.

EDIT - minimum specs
Old 10-27-2011, 08:25 PM
Members

Originally Posted by leese8080
I have the extended maintenance package as well. My rear rotors have never been replaced and they started squeaking. Thus, I took it to the dealership to have the brakes checked and rotors measured. Rear rotors for my 530i minimum spec is 28.4mm and they were measured at 28.3mm. They would NOT replace the rotors eventhough they were below spec! They told me that rotors are ONLY replaced in conjuction with brake pads. Therefore, I was asked to bring back when I am due for the rear brake pads, which would be in another 20k miles. Even called BMWNA and they told me that they would have to follow whatever the dealership determined. I was frustrated. First, I didn't want to compromise my safety and secondly, I was annoyed by the squeaking sound.

I ended up purchasing aftermarket rotors/pads from Michael (Acuteperformance) and replaced them myself.

If you didn't have the extended warranty - I bet they would recommeded to replace the rotors and pads together.
You are absolutely correct. The stealerships are full of crap. And so is BMWNA!
Old 10-27-2011, 08:32 PM
Senior Members

I hear ya Jason. I will do tthe same thing and get better performance aftermarket parts. I wonder if anyone knows of BBK upgrades that is LIGHTER weight than OEM's?
Old 10-27-2011, 08:33 PM
Senior Members

I have the extended maintenance package as well. My rear rotors have never been replaced and they started squeaking. Thus, I took it to the dealership to have the brakes checked and rotors measured. Rear rotors for my 530i minimum spec is 28.4mm and they were measured at 28.3mm. They would NOT replace the rotors eventhough they were below spec! They told me that rotors are ONLY replaced in conjuction with brake pads. Therefore, I was asked to bring back when I am due for the rear brake pads, which would be in another 20k miles. Even called BMWNA and they told me that they would have to follow whatever the dealership determined. I was frustrated. First, I didn't want to compromise my safety and secondly, I was annoyed by the squeaking sound.

Wow - that's crazy that they would send you out with rotors below spec!
Old 10-27-2011, 08:49 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 530i Mystic Blue

Edited my typo in the previous post. Mine were at 18.3mm when minimum spec is 18.4mm. It's even stated on the receipt. Ridiculous and total BS.

I surely was not going to drive another 20k until they were going to replace the rotors. Subsequent to my dealership visit, ordered the aftermarket parts same day. I wanted less brake dust anyways, so went ahead and opted for aftermarket parts. Were actually cheaper than OEMs. Very happy with them.

It sucks, but I feel your pain - it's not surprising to me that they didn't replace your rotors.

Originally Posted by wolf
Wow - that's crazy that they would send you out with rotors below spec!
Old 10-28-2011, 06:23 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Front brakes or rear?

Something must have changed. I brought my car in for squeaking front brakes earlier this year and got both new pads AND rotors installed under warranty.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:18 PM
Senior Members

My front break needed service, took it to the dealer, they replaced break pads along with rotor with out any questions. I believe its more depends on the Dealer. I just replaced the rear (out of free original maintenance) my self with BMW OEM parts (rotor and pads with sensor) for less than $260.