E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve Cover Bolt

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 06:54 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 BMW 530i Sport
Default Valve Cover Bolt

I'd like to start off thanking everyone that contributes to this forum. You have allowed me to DIY several things that has saved me a lot of money.

Now a question...while removing the valve cover bolts to replace the gasket, I sheered off one of the bolts (located closer to the midline of the car).

After purchasing a cheap cheap set of bolt extractors and having one sheer off inside the hole, I bought a helicoil to replace the threads. Well...let's just say I can't get a bolt to go into the hole and tighten up.

Question one...will I have an oil leak running the vehicle minus one valve cover bolt? Question two...is there anything else I can try to fasten that portion of the cover?

i feel like that bolt must have been over tightened during manufacturing since there was a noticeable difference between that bolt and every other bolt I removed. The rest were a piece of cake.

Any my help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Lee
Old 02-14-2017, 07:24 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i
Model Year: 2008

You should be fine, but if you notice an oil leak, you could remove the valve cover and apply a generous amount of gasket maker sealant around that portion of the gasket and reinstall.
Old 02-14-2017, 02:27 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 BMW 530i Sport
Default Valvetronic Motor

juat replaced my valve cover gasket but while I was in the process of taking the valve cover off, and taking the valvetronic motor bolts off, the valve tropic motor just popped out (I've read where others have had the same thing happen). Is that normal? And when I put that motor back on, I've read where you push the ignition button without starting the engine to reset it. Is this true or how do you put the valvetronic motor on successfully?

Thank you
Lee