E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Use battery tender but don't have power outlet in apartment parking lot

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 01:26 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Use battery tender but don't have power outlet in apartment parking lot

Hello Friends,

I want to use a battery tender on my 528i, but I live in a apartment community that doesn't have power outlet in the parking lot, Any suggestions please?

Thanks a lot
Old 01-04-2017, 02:10 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

A reeeeally long extension cord.

I'm being serious.
Old 01-04-2017, 02:27 PM
Members

Originally Posted by KyleB
A reeeeally long extension cord.

I'm being serious.
No way
Old 01-04-2017, 03:21 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Sold: 545i, sport package, cold weather, 6MT
Engine: N62

What about a solar tender? BMW had one for a while in theory, but I think it was very expensive and basically it didn't exist because you couldn't buy it anywhere. I assume there are aftermarket ones now.

Are you storing a car for months or weeks at a time? Is removing the battery and tending it inside an option?
Old 01-04-2017, 03:23 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Sold: 545i, sport package, cold weather, 6MT

021-1163

There ya go. They also sell at 10-watt and 15-watt version for more $$. Deltran used to make the OEM BMW tenders.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:44 PM
New Members

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i, premium package, 6sp manual, cold package, navigation package.
Model Year: 2005

I have used a 5 watt solar tender for years now. Sost about 20$ at Canadian Tire.
Old 01-05-2017, 02:59 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by fatboysam
No way
way
Old 01-06-2017, 07:53 PM
Members
Senior Members

Were it me, and trust me, as I've been divorced once, so I know a thing or two, I would skip all the hippie BS about solar panels and extension cords, and go directly for the simplest, most common sense route. Honestly, I dare anyone to defy my logic, as it just makes sense, and is the best answer. Go to Lowes, and buy yourself a gas powered generator and a set of holesaw bits. (I'm assuming you already own a cordless drill, if not, buy one of those too). Mount the generator in your trunk (E60s have huge trunks so this shouldn't be a problem). Take the holesaw bits and drill a few holes in your trunk lid. Most will be to keep the toxic fumes out of the cabin, but one will be to pass a 10' extension cord out of (oops, pick that up at lowes as well). You'll want to bolt the generator down. I recommend self tapping screws, and don't worry about puncturing the gas tank, as they rarely leak from the top unless you flip the car, in which case, you have bigger problems and need to start a new thread. So now you have the gen mounted, ventilation and cord holes in your trunk, it's time to crack a beer because you are 90% done with this simple project and about ready to make everyone around you envious. So now simply run that new cord out of the trunk, up to the front, and plug in your battery tender. I know, I know, at this point you're thinking "it's so simple, why didn't I think of this", but relax, genius ideas like this are YEARS in the making. Fire the generator up with the knowledge and security of knowing that with nothing more than carting a can of gas out to your car every few hours, you have guaranteed that your battery will be in tip top shape, with no cumbersome solar panels or long extension cords. Heck, leave it running while you drive to save on alternator wear! You're welcome.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:49 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i

^ +1

You could even run a shaft to the front wheels, and all you need to so is install the front axle from all wheel drive e60 and you can run your car with the generator. You can go up against the P1 with that thing. hek you could even do this
Use battery tender but don't have power outlet in apartment parking lot-maxresdefault.jpg
Old 01-07-2017, 08:00 AM
Administrator

Received 96 Likes on 92 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by westsidebalto
What about a solar tender? BMW had one for a while in theory, but I think it was very expensive and basically it didn't exist because you couldn't buy it anywhere. I assume there are aftermarket ones now.

Are you storing a car for months or weeks at a time? Is removing the battery and tending it inside an option?
This is actually a pretty good idea and a viable option.

P.S. Please excuse the snarky answers you received.