E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission worse after fluid change?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 01:39 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07' 530XI
Default Transmission worse after fluid change?

I have a '07 530xi that just turned 120,000 miles. My car developed the 2-1 transmission bump when you're stopping and as a temporary fix I reset the transmission adaptation. That worked for about 1000 miles and then I slowly came back. As a long term fix I bought the transmission fluid and oil sump with genuine ZF parts from the ctsc.com. A couple of days ago I got it installed at a local reputable indy that I know and as soon as I got it I noticed the 2-1 problem was fixed. But I noticed that the transmission was shifting harder than before and that it was hesitating to shift. I also noticed that when I shifted into reverse it started to take about a second to engage. I reset the transmission adaption in INPA and it smoothed some of the shifts out. But today in was driving on the interstate when I attempted to pass a left-laner I gave it a little gas and it dropped two gears. The first downshift was ok but the second one made a large slam and I immediately got off the gas and it slammed again when it upshifted. It was showing no codes so I assumed it was a random thing. I drive very conservative the rest of the way and it did fine, not like it was before I changed the fluid. Now I'm stumped, do I need to reset something else? Should I have the fluid changed again? Should I bring it to the dealer and have them take a look? I heard replacing some sleeve on the mechatronics may help. I'm not looking for it to shift like it's brand new but I want to make sure I'm not making my car kill itself. Looking for any advise anyone has.
Thanks!
Old 10-21-2016, 02:33 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

See the 6HP19 thread in the DIY section of this forum. Welcome to the valve body club.
Old 12-25-2019, 02:18 PM
New Members

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My Ride: 2009 528i xdrive

My bet is on the seal and sleeves. I am working under the assumption that they expand as the trans fluid heats up, thus expanding the rubber components allowing for better function.
Old 12-25-2019, 03:50 PM
New Members

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530xiT (E61)
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by mjkempe2
I have a '07 530xi that just turned 120,000 miles. My car developed the 2-1 transmission bump when you're stopping and as a temporary fix I reset the transmission adaptation. That worked for about 1000 miles and then I slowly came back. As a long term fix I bought the transmission fluid and oil sump with genuine ZF parts from the ctsc.com. A couple of days ago I got it installed at a local reputable indy that I know and as soon as I got it I noticed the 2-1 problem was fixed. But I noticed that the transmission was shifting harder than before and that it was hesitating to shift. I also noticed that when I shifted into reverse it started to take about a second to engage. I reset the transmission adaption in INPA and it smoothed some of the shifts out. But today in was driving on the interstate when I attempted to pass a left-laner I gave it a little gas and it dropped two gears. The first downshift was ok but the second one made a large slam and I immediately got off the gas and it slammed again when it upshifted. It was showing no codes so I assumed it was a random thing. I drive very conservative the rest of the way and it did fine, not like it was before I changed the fluid. Now I'm stumped, do I need to reset something else? Should I have the fluid changed again? Should I bring it to the dealer and have them take a look? I heard replacing some sleeve on the mechatronics may help. I'm not looking for it to shift like it's brand new but I want to make sure I'm not making my car kill itself. Looking for any advise anyone has.
Thanks!
hey OP - how would you describe the symptoms of the “2-1 transmission bump” when stopping? I’m wondering if this is what I’m experiencing when I’m slowing down. When I’m coming to a stop, the car idles up and surges when when my foot is on the brake
Old 12-25-2019, 06:28 PM
New Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: 535xi
Model Year: 2008

3 year old thread guys.
Old 12-25-2019, 07:17 PM
New Members

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530xiT (E61)
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by audiophool
3 year old thread guys.
lol thanks. Totally missed that. Sometimes I forget that this forum is on its last legs
Old 12-26-2019, 12:46 PM
New Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: 535xi
Model Year: 2008

It happens. I'm in the habit of looking at the OP date. I'm not sure the forum is on its 'last legs', just not super busy.
Old 12-26-2019, 03:07 PM
New Members

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My Ride: 2009 528i xdrive

Crazy.... Not sure how it showed up near the top of my queue. Will check dates from now on.