E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

transmission slam

Old 05-03-2013, 09:30 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Bmw e60 530i _-_ professional navigation- mystic blue exterior- beige interior-logic7-18 inch rims-active steering-bluetooth-adaptive xenon lights-sunroof-sport steering wheel-comfort seats-tv-pdc

545iMike : my mechanic told me that your cars mechatronics doesnt have replaceable soleniods, and if it turned out I can replace them will they solve my issues with 2-1 and harsh shifts ?
dolfan13: I wanted to reset my adaptions but was told if I do my issues will get worse because some did it and the shifts are worse now according to my mechanic, did you have the 2-1 slam and it was solved with the adaption reset ?
Old 05-03-2013, 10:14 AM
Members

Mine did not get the bad slam but did shift harsh.Changed fluid not just adaption reset.Check the coupling to rear end for slop also before going any further.Big thread on bimmerfest about fluid and reset before going to mech unit rebuild or replace.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:45 PM
Members

My Ride: Bmw e60 530i _-_ professional navigation- mystic blue exterior- beige interior-logic7-18 inch rims-active steering-bluetooth-adaptive xenon lights-sunroof-sport steering wheel-comfort seats-tv-pdc

I checked my ATF before almost 10000 KM the mechanic said the fluid and level are ok, at that time I had this problem.
Im hoping its an software issue that I can update because I can remember since I made the pedal reset for 30 sec I got this problem!
Old 05-03-2013, 03:12 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i

I haven't changed the solenoids in my car it was just a video to show that it can be done and that it usually cures the slam. I had a slam after changing the pan and gasket on my 545. Had a software update that cured it. I feel that its still not perfect so eventually I will change the solenoids. Here's the thread with the person who made the youtube video. Give it a read. 05 545i Transmission Surging Issues help! - Page 19 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums
Old 05-03-2013, 03:14 PM
Members
Senior Members

Also here's the site to find trans parts. The CTSC - ZF Parts

And your mechanic is wrong. The video clearly show a 545 getting solenoids replaced.

Last edited by 545iMike; 05-03-2013 at 03:40 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:19 AM
Members

My Ride: 98' 528i Manual07' 550i Sport

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
Now this is useful info. But where did you get these options from? +HADS and +21TI
I got it from doing the software update via Ista/p, then going and looking at the VO to see what changed. Sometimes i removed the VO alteration and reprogrammed to see what difference it made.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:25 AM
Members

545iMike : yea ur right I knw he was wrong from the first place I think they look for the easy way which is costy for you, ilfind another mechanic, that same mechanic told me that an update or adaptions reset will just make it worse.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:18 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bmwbimmer
545iMike : yea ur right I knw he was wrong from the first place I think they look for the easy way which is costy for you, ilfind another mechanic, that same mechanic told me that an update or adaptions reset will just make it worse.
Yeah try to find someone else. Or you could try to tackle it yourself if you have the time.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:00 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bmwbimmer, you'll need to keep looking for a better mechanic. Check the bimmerfest transmission slam thread for additional details.

05 545i Transmission Surging Issues help! - Page 25 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Finding someone who can do this work will be extremely difficult. In my case, I went with a mechanic ( after going through 3 others ) who accepted the job on condition of no-guarantee. This was nerve wracking, but it turned out very well for me.

Here's my advice:

The following are common responses from mechanics faced with any transmission issue: "your fluid levels are fine, the sealing sleeve has a minor leak but probably isn't the issue, mechatronics replacement for $2k+ or transmission replacement for $7+ is the way to go".

The bottom line is that these mechanics have no experience with solenoids replacement and you should immediately walk away. You're looking for a guru mechanic and that means you're going to have to do some work. Start calling up repair shops and explicitly quiz them about their solenoid replacement experience.

First, read up on the specifics of this repair. Memorize the parts listed below. If you email CTSC, he'll know exactly what you'll need and can give you a quote instantly. Please note that he's also a knowledgeable resource and a few of the mechanics I used were parroting his answers to me.

Email the below to the mechanic you're quizzing and ask him for a quote.

You'll provide the following:
1. oil change kit ( zf transmission fluid + new pan )
2. mechatronic sealing sleeve. Why? They're pulling the valve body anyway, might as well.
3. mechatronic seal adapter. Same as above, and if this seal is bad other shifting issues can occur.
4. oil pan bolts for the plastic pan
5. Solenoid parts

Repair Steps
1. Drain transmission oil
2. Reset transmission adaptation via Snap On scan tool
3. Pull Pan, remove gasket and replace with new one
4. Disconnect sealing sleeve power connector
5. Unlock sealing sleeve lock and remove sleeve
6. Remove mechatronic unit
7. Remove solenoid cover and bracket
8. Pull solenoids and replace with new ones
9. Remove and replace mechatronic sealing sleeve
10. Replace mechatronic back in transmission
11. Replace sealing sleeve and lock bracket
12. Reconnect power connector to sealing sleeve
13. Replace oil pan
14. Add 4 quarts of transmission fluid and reconnect filler plug
15. Start car and let it run until the transmission temps get to 84-100 degrees (as stated by sticker on pan), used a Snap On scan tool to determine temperature
16. Turn engine off and add more transmission fluid until it started to run out, reconnect filler plug
17. Check for codes
18. Drive to test
19. Replace heat shields and transmission cover

It's up to you whether or not you want to go this route. I had a 2 - 1 downshift transmission slam + hard jerks switching between D and DS modes, and after the repair, my shifting is like new again. The parts cost was about 8 hundred dollars, and the actual repair around half that.

Good luck!

Last edited by peachykonan; 05-06-2013 at 06:35 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:46 PM
Members

peachykonan : thank you for giving me your time and writing me all the steps and information, I will contact CTSC for the parts I need, if I was a good diy-er I would have done it myself thanks again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: transmission slam