E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Transmission Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 02:14 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by seven11
thanks, i was actually wanted to talk to you about my transmission problem, to see what your thoughts on it was.

i think i am gonna get my valve body rebuilt and then if that doesn't fix the problem i am gonna get a used tranny and swap in my overhauled valve body.

i am gonna contact seanjordan20 and see what he can do for me.

thanks for the help E60Japanese
https://5series.net/forums/diy-do-yo...thread-137584/
Old 05-22-2015, 01:15 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535
Model Year: 2008

thank you Kyle!!! where did you get the new solenoids?

i found a tranny from a sport 535i with SAT but it has100k miles for $1160 shipped

i am scared of the 100k miles but it would just bolt right in.

what do u guys think? I was thinking of rebuilding my valve body from my broken tranny and then use it in the 100k mile transmission.
Old 05-22-2015, 01:50 PM
Members
Senior Members

thank you Kyle!!! where did you get the new solenoids?

i found a tranny from a sport 535i with SAT but it has100k miles for $1160 shipped

i am scared of the 100k miles but it would just bolt right in.

what do u guys think? I was thinking of rebuilding my valve body from my broken tranny and then use it in the 100k mile transmission.
I get all of my transmission service parts from thectsc.com

As for replacing the transmission, that's up to you. It's more likely that the fault with your current transmission is the valve body itself and not worn clutches, but worn clutches are possible. If you keep driving it with it slipping like that, then you will definitely need a transmission in a short period of time. Clutch packs in an automatic transmission are not designed to slip in the same manner as a clutch assembly in a manual transmission.

If I were you, I'd look into replacing your valve body with a fully rebuilt one like SeanJordan on this forum did and see what that does. If your transmission still malfunctions, at least you know where the problem is. Then I'd go with your idea of a used transmission with low mileage and swap in your newly rebuilt valve body. Whichever route you take, don't forget to replace all four sealing sleeves and the bridge seal, as they are crucial to proper operation.

good luck dude!
Old 05-22-2015, 03:10 PM
Members

thanks KyleB

i am not driving the car, as it is not drivable.

what do u think putting a tranny in with 100k miles? i think its would be a if i find one for a little more but less miles.

does the tranny need programming after install?
Old 05-22-2015, 06:56 PM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Just my 2 cents. I wouldn't put in a tranny with 100K miles unless it was almost free.
Old 05-23-2015, 12:57 PM
Members

Originally Posted by twh
Just my 2 cents. I wouldn't put in a tranny with 100K miles unless it was almost free.
yea i decided against it.

looking to get a tranny with no more than 75k miles.
Old 05-24-2015, 03:53 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by twh
+1, thats too much mileage.

thanks KyleB

does the tranny need programming after install?
all of the data that controls the transmission is stored in EGS, which is basically the control unit that is part of the valve body. So basically, if you get a used transmission and swap your valve body in the used transmission, no programming is required (but I would definitely reset adaptations).
Old 05-24-2015, 08:06 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 2006 sedan auto

Hi
I understand why you are thinking about another transmission as I was doing the same thing as you when my transmission was broken

I was worried about spending $700 and if it didn’t fix the problem I would have wasted the money and had to spend another $1400 buying a used transmission

But what made me chose to fix mine was after reading many posts, getting good advice, watching posts on YouTube and sending many emails to people like seanjordan20
I also spent many nights reading KyleB's 6HP19 service thread till I understood exactly what to do

I also couldn’t find one person who repaired their VB and changed the seals and wasn’t completely happy.

I also considered the idea that I could spend two days by myself changing the transmission and still the same problem existed or it would in a short period of time, and then I would have to do the VB anyway.

After doing mine and a friends, they both it went fantastic and no further troubles or fault codes since

Also the other transmission I repaired had error codes showing that the clutch was slipping yet it was the VB/solenoids causing it and not the clutches
The local BMW dealer told him that the valve body was not the problem and it was the clutches and it would cost him $10,000.
But he had no real choice and had to take a chance as he was broke and I was happy to do the work for free to help him

When we put it together it was perfect, he took it back to the dealer and they didn’t believe him at first and then they were interested in exactly what was done.

Ask people on this forum as many questions as you want till you are confident in your choice

No one will think bad of you if you chose to change the transmission in fact I will be interested in knowing how it went as I have a leaking rear main seal and will remove mine soon

If I can be of any help please ask

Old 05-25-2015, 04:29 PM
Members

thanks man. i appreciate all the help.

now i am thinking if i should just do the valve body. was the valve body rebuild easy? u just changed the solenoids on it?

i dont have a garage or tools to do it myself, so i would need to bring it to a shop.

i am gonna have the car towed this week to one and start the work.
Old 05-25-2015, 06:23 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 2006 sedan auto

thanks man. i appreciate all the help.

now i am thinking if i should just do the valve body. was the valve body rebuild easy? u just changed the solenoids on it?

i dont have a garage or tools to do it myself, so i would need to bring it to a shop.

i am gonna have the car towed this week to one and start the work.
good luck with what you decide!

I removed my VB and sent it away to be repaired
I live in Japan and no-one would touch it here so I sent it to a company in China
It was back in a week reconditioned and new solenoids ready to refit

I also did exactly the same with my friends transmission

The tools needed are very basic and a willingness to have a go of course
mechanical stuff is difficult for some people so i understand either choice you make.
sorry I am not near or I would come and help for a BBQ and a drink

Seanjordan20 is the best to contact about the VB repair company in the states
he sent his away and had it back within a week

but make sure you fit new solenoids and replace the four seals while you have the VB out.

keep us all posted with what you chose and the results

Its important for everyone who will have a similar problem

Quick Reply: Transmission Malfunction